Wet passenger footwell after downpour

My 2012 month elegance estate has just had its first serious soaking since we bought it 3 weeks ago and there's a leak in the far left hand edge of the passenger footwell :-( I removed a thin piece foam from under the glovebox (held on by two plastic wingnuts) and the left side of the area and the fluffy wadding was damp. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but does anybody have any ideas. I've also read a bit online about Skoda refusing to fix water ingress problems under warranty - is this really the case?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Do a search for "saturated carpet", there's a thread from February.

I'm sure the dealer will be very helpful and fix it without a fuss, however I wouldn't worry one bit about anything being covered by warranty or not - at 3 weeks since purchase this will just be a case of Sales of Goods Act.

Just don't get fobbed off by statements like "We'll have to contact the warranty company and they'll want to send someone to inspect the car", etc.

Have a look at the drain holes at the ends of the "gutter" under the windscreen. If the ends are full of leaves and other tree droppings that have turned into mud, and have blocked up, you'll get water in the footwell. All you need to do is clear it out and check that some water poured slowly down the holes comes out the bottom of the car, behind the wheel arch, and you'll be fine...

bestest,

M.

I had a similar problem...though on the right hand side of the passenger foot-well. Turned out to be an Air Conditioning hose had been incorrectly fitted at the factory. Picked the car up today having had a new hose fitted and the insulation replaced...all under warranty.

• 3 months later...

Should have posted an update back in July. Got it back from the dealer after a day's water testing and was told that they'd cleaned out some guttering or ducts in the scuttle and that should be it. All was well until that storm the other night and it's leaking again - same place passenger footwell, dripping from underside of dash. Back in this morning and just got a call from the dealer to say they're none the wiser... :-(

Been trawling the archives of Briskoda and as far as I can tell these are the major contenders:

1 Windscreen seal (new screen from factory, never been replaced)

2 "Soft" bulkhead weld

3 Twisted/kinked aircon pipe (only leaked twice, months apart, during heavy rain so don't see how it can be this)

4 Blocked drain with leaves etc (been pretty careful to keep the scuttle clean so not sure about this either)

Planning to tell the dealer tomorrow how to suck eggs by going through this list, I'd rather he was a bit put out by my abruptness than live with 'eau du wet dog' and steamy windows. On that basis, is there anything else I've maybe missed?

Cheers.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Getting a new windscreen but it's the heated variant and they're on 'backorder' - dealer has no idea when they'll be in. Got a 1.6tdi Yeti in the meantime. Nice comfy car, like the slightly elevated driving position, miss the superb though.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

Have a look at the drain holes at the ends of the "gutter" under the windscreen. If the ends are full of leaves and other tree droppings that have turned into mud, and have blocked up, you'll get water in the footwell. All you need to do is clear it out and check that some water poured slowly down the holes comes out the bottom of the car, behind the wheel arch, and you'll be fine...

bestest,

M.

How would the water get inside the car if the drain holes were blocked with debris.  Surely the drain holes are the preferred way to get rid of water but if that channel fills up (just experimented with my car) it just overflows into the engine are....no access to interior there.

How would the water get inside the car if the drain holes were blocked with debris.  Surely the drain holes are the preferred way to get rid of water but if that channel fills up (just experimented with my car) it just overflows into the engine are....no access to interior there.

The scuttle area fills up with water, there are small rubber grommets where wiring etc. all pass through into the cabin. Water gets past these grommets through the tiny imperfections that always remain and into the main cabin, or the water finds its way into the pollen filter and through the heater ducts into the cabin. The scuttle area should be checked and cleared regularly, I have to do it on my Audi as the area clogs up with debris all to easily because at work we park beneath trees.