Rear wiper fuse blowing problem fixed

Hi all,

I thought I would relay some hopefully useful information about my recently acquired 1.4TDi Ambient h/b.

After purchasing the car and getting it home earlier this week, I did another test of all the functions and then noticed the rear wiper did not move.

I checked the fuses - the 10A mini fuse F32 in the 'end of dash' fusebox was blown.

The Haynes manual was consulted [the electrical schematics for the rear wiper are incorrect - pins 2 and 3 are swapped] - I then tried injecting 12V and a 'start' signal to the relevant pins - no joy and a lot of sparking.

I tried to removed the wiper arm - stuck fast onto the spindle, however it was removed after a lot of swearing and a modicum of hacksawing.

Next, to the wiper motor - removing the trim from the inside of the hatch revealed the motor/gearbox assembly.  This dropped out remarkably easily, however whilst manhandling it at the end of the washer pipe I noticed a rattling noise.

I removed the motor from the motor/gearbox assembly and out dropped two bits of the motor brushes !

I replaced the motor rotor assembly and what was left of the brushes were touching the armature contacts.

The motor assembly was bench tested with 12v - it worked !

It was refitted back in the car along with a new fuse 32 [10A] and now all is well.

Happy rear wiping

Graeme

Hi Mogwye,

The brushes still have enough meat on them to operate the motor.  That motor is only used intermittently so I'm hoping will last.

Graeme

• Like 1