Some questions for Scout owners

I'm considering upgrading to a Scout due to growing kids with bigger adventures (and more outdoor gear) to come but am put off a little by the ride height / driving experience (I'm only a 'boy racer on very rare occasions - can't afford it!)

We are carrying more kayaks & canoes, more bikes, bigger tents and going to rougher more remote locations with ever worsening road conditions. So a Scout seems quite a logical choice and I've been very happy with my current Octavia.

Until I get to test drive one, I'll not know if I can live with the ride height / drive or not. So my questions aren't about that side of things.

I'll probably be looking for a FL Scout with certain factory fitted options such as Maxidot & Xenons as these are cost prohibitive to retro fit.

In no particular order:

Are the differences between the two MkII versions principally cosmetic? If not, what are the differences?

Do all FL Scouts come with full Maxidot?

Were Xenons standard on FL's or an option (and how frequently added)?

I'm currently driving a PD140 (pre-FL) which I guess is basically the same as the FL PD140. I am also familiar with the increased fuel economy, purchase cost and potential DPF issues with a CR.

So, PD or CR? In your opinions.

Is it really worth upgrading the Scout Haldex controller to the 'blue' one I've read about?

I'm sure I'll think of some more as I look at more cars, so I'll post these as I think of them.

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts.

Can't answer all your questions but I bought my Scout 2 years ago and I had to pay extra for Maxidot and Xenons.

I love the car, am not into lowered cars (personally think they look ..... well let's just say I'm not a fan) and have driven it in winter in the Alps and it has never once remotely felt like it wasn't going to cope, so as far as the Haldex is concerned it's faultless in my eyes. Don't know if this is relevant or not :

• Like 2

Can't answer your equipment questions as that varies from market to market, but Haldex rocks and keep it as it is without adding anything blue or yellow.

• Like 1

Thank you both.

I've been looking around the past couple of days and it seems that the CR was only introduced around 2011 on the Scout. Would this be about right?

It also seems that there's a massive price jump from a 3 year old PD with 80k miles (c.£10k) to a 1 year old CR with 10k miles (c.£18k) and not much in between (not surprisingly as most companies keep cars for three years from new).

Which puts a CR out if my price bracket, unless they really are worth £8k extra...

As Maxidot & Xenons were extras, I think I'm going to struggle to get the spec I want when the time comes...

I believe its the PD that is renowned for the DPF issues, not the CR, which was designed to accomodate one.

Its also worth having a look for a non-scout 4x4 estate as they're cheaper and don't have quite the same ride height (though still raised a little). Though the spec is lower (no xenons or maxidot in standard kit).

• Like 1

The Scout PD140 has a DPF?

I thought it was only the Vrs 170 engines that had one fitted.

I have been considering a 4x4 Octavia, but think I may as well go all the way (so to speak) even though the insurance will be even higher (group 20ish for the Scout, 16ish for the 4x4 and 10ish for the standard Octavia).

• Like 1

The only 4x4 Octavia 2 diesels that don't have DPFs are the 1.9s (with only 105hp).

I went with a 4x4 over a Scout because I like the stealth all wheel drive. So many crossovers etc have got a looks, but I've got the moves :)

• Like 3

I posted on your other thread so you know I rate the Scouts ride, and I've had both a vRS and a Scout on the drive at the same time for a direct comparison.

Sure the vRS is firmer with less roll, but really, how often do any of us corner at faster than 70mph?

The Scout gets 17" Proteus alloys with unusal tyres which seem to work really well. 

The Scout is really a great all-rounder, simply the best MkII there is, and the reason they are the most expensive.

Maxidot and xenon's always have been factory cost options in the UK, although you might be suprised how many of them have them fitted. Saying that it took me a while to find mine with xenon's as it's impossible to tell from the outside if they have them or not on the pre-FL. At least on the FL it is possible to tell from most advert pictures.

Whilst the standard 4x4 is cheaper is looks awkward with it's ride height and small wheels. The Scout is also very well specced as standard and is a proper soft-roader.

The Scout 2.0 TDi PD140 is 8V SOHC instead of the normal 16V DOHC and also gets a DPF. My wife uses our Scout to trundle to work and back, around 6 miles each way and we've never had DPF issues, not even a light. Go for the CR if the DPF really bothers you.

You will notice a significant reduction in MPG over a 2WD Octavia.

My 2008 PD Scout has Haldex II, I was under the impression the Scout got upgraded to a later version of Haldex at some point but not sure.

One thing is for sure they ain't cheap. The production stop late last year has supported prices.

The MkIII Scout is planned to be launched late in 2014. Expect prices to be higher still.

There was a short production build of the pre-FL Scout with the FL interior (Bolero and updated dash etc.) in 2009. These are the best Scouts in my opinion as I'm a fan of the pre-FL front end but prefer the FL internals.

• Like 1

The 4x4 handles quite well really, it's no boxster but you'd be very surprised how fast you can press on (should the need arise). It does look a bit awkward on 15" rims, and no where near as good looking as a scout. Mine has xenons but no maxidot, and even with the standard 105bhp it went really well. Go much better with a remap and according to everyone on here, they're bombproof. They're about 95% of a scout for about 60-65% of the cost. Still don't understand that. Definitley worth a gander if you don't mind the looks.

Mine is a Sept 2010 Scout, and is common rail with Haldex 4.

It is a great family car and I've always enjoyed taking the kids out in the snow, remote places in Scotland, through deep fords, etc with no hint of a problem - I've bought winter tyres and its basically unstoppable in my experience.

Xenons and maxidot are cost options along with the spare, leather, curtain airbags, multi-function steering wheel etc in my case.

I've had a standard Elegance Octavia previously and it does feel slightly slower, especially at motorway cruise, but the ride is generally very good on bad potholes, etc.

Overall, it's been great but I am seriously looking at a new VRS now for some excitement. And yes that is mid life crisis!

Maxidot and xenon's always have been factory cost options in the UK, although you might be suprised how many of them have them fitted. Saying that it took me a while to find mine with xenon's as it's impossible to tell from the outside if they have them or not on the pre-FL. At least on the FL it is possible to tell from most advert pictures.

How can you tell? I've not been able to spot any difference as yet, although I've only seen two with Xenons so far.

I'll keep my eye out for any that bridge the changeover period, but I am growing to like both. With the exception of the pre-FL MFSW!

Having a DPF doesn't worry me too much as a lot of my journeys are 14 mile+ and I do quite a few longer journeys as well.

I'm on about 60mpg in a steady motorway cruise with my PD140, so some trade off.

My motorway speed is generally about 65 mph anyway.

Is the CR much more economical than the PD?

Is the CR much more economical than the PD?

Scout 2.0 PD has a combined figure of 44mpg....the scout 2.0 CR 47mpg. 

So there's not as much in it as on standard models (51mpg vs 57mpg)

Edited by booke23

Thanks for those figures. As there's not much in it and PD's are a lot cheaper to buy, I think I'll be looking at those for now.

My real world figure with a PD140 4x4 is 42mpg. Something you may not be aware of that is a feature of the 4x4 (and I see no reason its not the same on the Scout) is that 1st gear is pretty low and it can take a bit of getting used to.

• Like 2

How can you tell? I've not been able to spot any difference as yet, although I've only seen two with Xenons so far.

Take a look at this headlight, on the projector itself you can see a square extension at 3 o'clock. This is the cornering function (AFS) - unique to the xenon headlights.

No square extension = no xenon's...

octavia-e03-xenon-head-lamps-01_20130623

The reason you can't tell externally on the pre-FL is it doesn't have AFS hence the xenon headlights themselves are identical to the non-xenon's.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

The reason you can't tell externally on the pre-FL is it doesn't have AFS hence the xenon headlights themselves are identical to the non-xenon's.

In this pre-FL instance, as headlight washers are fitted to all Scouts, the only way to tell if they have Xenons is to look for the manual headlight adjuster control......or rather the lack of it. Factory Xenon headlights always have auto leveling....hence no control in the car to adjust the level.     

Edited by booke23
  • Like 1

To summarise do far:

Maxidot & Xenons were optional extras and FL Xenons have cornering capabities;

My PD140 doesn't have a DPF, the Scout PD140 does and the CR was designed to have a DPF. However its unlikely that I'll have issue with the DPF due to the driving I do;

The difference in fuel economy between PD and CR is not massive, but CR's seem to sit in a higher insurance group and have lower emissions (and lower tax);

The Haldex controller factory fitted is pretty good and general consensus seems to be that there is little to gain on the Scout;

No opinions on the 1.8 petrol Scout have been out forward suggesting that its not very popular (or is a secret success);

Differences between FL & pre-FL do seem to be cosmetic, but Xenon AFS capability and Maxidot cspability seem to be the only significant differences.

Please correct anything I've got wrong or misrepresented.

Any thoughts on the petrol engine or when the CR engine was introduced to the Scout?

I was really keen to get the CR engine when I ordered. My was delivered in Sept 2010 with CR and as I remember they started being delivered with that engine from May. The way to be sure when test driving is to look at the engine number in the car data plate. The PD one is BMM, the common rail something like CFxx - I'm sure one of Briskodas gurus will have the correct code.

If its a 4 character code starting with a C its a common rail. If its a 3 character one, its PD. Also the shape of the plastic engine cover is different. I think on the CR the 4 bars are slanted.

Thanks both. Sounds pretty easy to tell the difference and mid-2010 onwards should be CR by the sounds if it.

I hoping to test drive a CR is my local dealer is willing this week!!!