Replacing my engine - dreaded BSS code....

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I have a 2.0 140 tdi, bss code Superb, the engine started knocking, no oil lights came on, had engine taken out, and diagnosed as needing new crank, conrod and possibly oil pump. Now the question I have is, is it possible to fit a different coded engine? Ie BWX, or BSK, or even go back to a A series, or the newer C series? Am guessing I'll need to change ecu etc, but just wondering how bigger job it is, or am I best just either replacing with a BSS or rebuilding the old engine? Looked into parts, but came back as costing £2300 plus for parts and rebuild, then got to get fitted back in.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Andy

If your engine has suffered crank damage (due to the well documented oil pump drive failure) it will be totally scrap. The camshaft, followers and turbocharger are all "ahead in the queue" when it comes to engine damage following lubrication failure.

The most cost effective fix is probably to retrofit a 1.9PD, either AWX (preferably) or AVF. These can be had from wrecked A4s or Passats, but there are some dogs around with starship mileages, so shop around. The AWX with a 5 speed box is the best combination as the 6 speed transmissions are less reliable and give virtually the same gearing in top. For an equivalent tyre rolling radius, there is 120 engine rpm difference at 70 mph in top between the two transmissions. 5 speed transmissions are both better and cheaper.

If your Superb is otherwise good, with absolutely no water ingress damage or history, I would consider buying a good used engine and transmission from a breaker and fit the lot. Rebuilding is an expensive minefield and is risky compared with a power unit from a known runner. Labour costs also tend to escalate as you find out which bits don't fit. Been there...

The breakers know what the 1.9 PDs are worth - so there is no cheap fix.

Don't rule out buying a whole car - you can carefully assess the condition of the power unit you are buying and then part out/scrap the remainder. This is often the cheapest solution if you can manage it - avoid the breaker's cut and exploit the cheapness of an MOT failure.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

Hi Rotodiesel,

thanks for your response, I think it's definitely the way to look, I've run a few passats & sodas with the AwX engine, all been spot on. Would I need the ecu from a AWX, or are they all compatible with each other? Just I know if I mention it to garage, they'll prob tell me I need various other parts... So just trying to do my homework before making a decision.

Thanks again,

Andy

I would guess you need the AWX ECU.

I stopped being interested in PD engines when the 2.0 came out as it was obviously (to me) such a complete c o c k up, but I would guess your failed engine has the electrically operated EGR valve, DPF and a few other of the unreliable VAG delights not present on the 1.9. The ECUs will therefore be different.

This would be another argument for buying a whole car as a runner - swap the lot. You would also not run short of odd bits of hardware...

rotodiesel.

+1 for Roto's suggestion to not rule out buying a complete car.

I bought a 20VT B5 with a blown engine for its wheels.  By the time the shell was dragged off my drive I was several hundred pounds up and met some really great Passat enthusiast vultures.

Gaz