Squeaky trim above glove box

Since increasing my tyre pressure for towing then subsequently dropping it back to normal the silver trim above my glove box has started rubbing on the soft rubber just beneath it when I drive over even the slightest bump and it's driving me mad!

Pushing a hand against the trim stops the noise so it's definitely the trim/rubber contact causing it.  I had a passenger try prodding various places including vent surrounds and the glovebox lid and we narrowed it down to the trim itself.

Until I towed last week it's been fine so I don't know what's started it off.

Has anyone else had this and, if so, did you manage to remedy it?

I've found Superb to have these kinds of rattling issues in multiple places. Yes, I'm a bit too sensitive for these things, but I've anyway managed to track down most of the sources and been able to silence many of them. I will have to check the place you're referring to, but can you put some silicone lubricant there, of insert something small between the rubber and the trim?

• 4 weeks later...

Mine squeeks here too!

So do both of our Octavia's!

I haven't had a chance to look at the Superb yet but the Octavia has a removeable panel at the end of the dash (hidden by the door when it is closed). This panel was the culprit. I used some of that sticky-backed velcro along one edge of the panel. This made the fit tighter and cured it.

So, after much testing of the glovebox and initially discounting it I had the wife in the car today and whilst I drove she prodded around the dash and discovered that it's the little rubber feet that the glove box presses against when closed making all the noise.  Opening the glovebox or pushing on the door stops it.

It's doubly annoying as initial tests pointed at it not being the glovebox.  I also have a smug looking wife  :devil:

I'm off outside later to coat the bugger in silicon spray!  (The rubber feet, not the wife).

Edited by unclerichy

I also have this problem.  It normally starts about 30 minutes into a journey and can only be stopped by opening the glovebox.  Sometimes leaving it open for a few minutes then closing again, cures the noise for the rest of the journey.  I'll be interested to know if the silicone spray has worked!

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

Right. I've been away on hols for a while but back now and even with the glovebox open it occasionally squeaks so it's not the feet. If, whilst open, the glovebox is pressed to the left the squeak stops suggesting it's movement around the hinge area.

This evening I took the dashboard end panel off the left-hand side of the dash and jiggled the glovebox hinge pin around a bit. I then sprayed some silicon spray in there, mopped up the excess and popped the panel on again. Fingers crossed!

I had a creak not a squeak develop around the glovebox area last week. Pushing the glove box door would stop it but opening it just reduced the frequency. (how often it happened not KHz sound).

Skoda dealer said it was the air vent pipe rubbing and they have "repositioned the dash"

Creak gone.

I sure that where you are spraying your silicone will not be any problem, but some plastics are slowly degraded by silicone (and polishes with silicone in them e.g. furniture polish). On the Superb the chrome-rimmed air vents are such a plastic!

The 'chrome' itself is fine but the plastic that the chrome is bonded to will suffer, the chrome will then lift off with time, and the plastic will become very fragile.

Even if they were squeaking, I would try not to put silicone spray on, or next to, the chrome air vent surrounds.

Don't ask me how I know this!

Edited by CombatWombat

• 7 months later...