MPG Continues to improve

MikeWales

post-69072-0-97662500-1375950157_thumb.jpg

55.7 last week on the way to work,. This week 56.3!

I'm sure it's nothing to do with me, just the quiet roads at 8.30 in the morning with no school run & holiday makers yet to surface.  :rofl:

• Like 1

When you check your average for a tank - then try a tank/tank calculation and you may well find that you are getting 10% worse. 60+ is quite possible on the maxidot!

post-94598-0-38646400-1375991470_thumb.jpg

How about this for a petrol DSG from my commute yesterday morning?  Traffic heavy enough not to get up much speed, but light enough not to grind to a halt very often.  My Maxidot is 2% optimistic on the average fuel consumption.

Edited by Zib
  • Like 1

My consumption is also increasing. my average over 40,000 miles is now 38mpg.

My last tankful I had several journeys of about 40-50 miles in each direction, on motorways and A/B roads, plus quite a bit of driving around London, and my average for the tank full brim to brim was 42.3mpg. Which I think is great.

My consumption is also increasing. my average over 40,000 miles is now 38mpg.

My last tankful I had several journeys of about 40-50 miles in each direction, on motorways and A/B roads, plus quite a bit of driving around London, and my average for the tank full brim to brim was 42.3mpg. Which I think is great.

Just about run-in then? :hi:

Fred

On a gentle run without trying at all last week I achieved an indicated 62 with mine ... was most surprised!

Generally though with 24000 miles on the clock I am noticing things improving .... even towing now I'm seeing 32/33 which is good.

post-22017-13760782593758_thumb.jpg

UK to Germany, didn't think it was that bad. Even managed a little acceleration with an octy vrs (and won :-) ).

170CR TDI 4x4 yeti

Dez

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

From my morning commute today. Not bad for a petrol DSG in winter.  Actual MPG is likely to be closer to 57, taking into account my observed 2% error with the on-board computer and the slightly smaller diameter of the winter tyres.

post-94598-0-00679800-1422463550_thumb.jpg

From my morning commute today. Not bad for a petrol DSG in winter.  Actual MPG is likely to be closer to 57, taking into account my observed 2% error with the on-board computer and the slightly smaller diameter of the winter tyres.

Impressive figures there. What do you get on a tank to tank comparison, as this will give you the true world MPG. I think Betty's real world figure is approx 15% less than Published mpg. But I spend most of mine time driving on the M54, M6, M5 in rush hour at both ends of the day

Impressive figures there. What do you get on a tank to tank comparison, as this will give you the true world MPG. I think Betty's real world figure is approx 15% less than Published mpg. But I spend most of mine time driving on the M54, M6, M5 in rush hour at both ends of the day

Our real world mpg over 25000 miles is 39.9, which I'm pretty happy with.  Oddly enough, I tend to get the best figures such as the 57 mpg shown above in rush hour on the motorway, where I can't get up to any speed but the car is in 7th gear most of the time. In such circumstances, the Greenline would do better still (I often saw over 70 mpg real for the same journey in my old Seat Ibiza 130PD TDI), but then we'd have to forego the DSG.

I posted the photo because it shows that in the right circumstances, even despite a cold winter start, the 1.2 in combination with the DSG can stretch each litre of petrol quite a long way.

My first longish journey yesterday in my Yeti Greenline starting with about 50 miles on the clock.

156 miles from Lincolnshire to Suffolk down the A1 at the speed limit finished with the Maxidot showing an average of 58.9 mpg.

Returning home I noticed the consumption dropping to the mid 30s on a level stretch of road for a few miles, could that have been a DPF regeneration?

On returning it showed 57.8 for just under 350 miles, that included about 50 miles running around Ipswich in heavyish traffic.

For so few miles on the clock I'm pleased with that.

My first longish journey yesterday in my Yeti Greenline starting with about 50 miles on the clock.

156 miles from Lincolnshire to Suffolk down the A1 at the speed limit finished with the Maxidot showing an average of 58.9 mpg.

Returning home I noticed the consumption dropping to the mid 30s on a level stretch of road for a few miles, could that have been a DPF regeneration?

On returning it showed 57.8 for just under 350 miles, that included about 50 miles running around Ipswich in heavyish traffic.

For so few miles on the clock I'm pleased with that.

If you'd just done 150 or so miles at 60 to 70 mph, that should have got the DPF hot enough to burn off any soot without needing an active regeneration, I would have thought.

If you'd just done 150 or so miles at 60 to 70 mph, that should have got the DPF hot enough to burn off any soot without needing an active regeneration, I would have thought.

That's what I'd have thought.

Drove from Sale (just south of Manchester) over the Pennines to Cleckheaton W Yorks & back last night, using M60 & M62.

41.3 mpg according to maxidot against my usual 32 or so mpg for that journey. Fantastic for a 1.8TS1 4x4 I reckon, especially as the temperature was 0.0c +/- 1 degree.

Why such a great figure?  Quite simply because thanks to the "upgrading" of the M60 to Smart Motorway 36 miles of the 84 mile round trip was subject to a compulsory 50mph speed limit, and although the rest of my outward journey was done at the legal limit, the return was at 60mph in the national speed limit bit, all using cruise control and actual GPS speeds, not the speed indicated on the not very accurate speedo.

So that's 36miles at a real 50 mph, 23 miles at 70 mph, 23 miles at 60 mph and just a couple of miles at 30mph or less

It just goes to show that aerodynamically, our poor Snow Monsters leave rather a lot to be desired if you want to travel at 70mph, but keep the speed down and they're not too bad at all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say I'm really pleased with the frugality of my Yeti 4x4 110 bhp SE 2011

We have owned it since nov and covered a little over 3,000 miles (odometer now 22,000+)I appreciate the maxidot readings are probably over optimistic but I'm sure we must be getting 50+ mpg

Currently screen2 on the maxidot is reporting 50hrs of driving, 1818 miles at 54.8mpg ! so if I allow for 7% over optimistic reading that equates to 50.9mpg.

I rarely brim the tank so I cannot confirm the mpg, must try that soon.

Admittedly this is mainly rural and motorway driving (and we stick to speed limits)

So one happy Yeti owner. :clap:

Edited by Badlywornroy

I think the 110 bhp is the most frugal of the 2litre diesels. My 2WD version averaged 47mpg over the 3 years I owned and that included some caravan towing. Measured tank fill to tank fill in real time it was between 46-58mpg but I was pleased with the overall figure.

As expected my new 140bhp DSG 4x4 is a lot lower (see my Fuelly figure below) but it has only covered 6k miles so far and I'm hoping for more.

Fred