CALLING ALL TAXI DRIVERS AND HIGH MILEAGE USERS WHY THE SKODA OCTAVIA OVER THE TOYOTA AVENSIS

Just buy one... there is a member somewhere on here with an Octavia 2.0 PD140 DSG in Ireland.

He has now done over 650,000 kms (over 400,000 miles) without any major issues. I think he had a new flywheel fitted at some point.

Phil

• Like 1

Just buy one... there is a member somewhere on here with an Octavia 2.0 PD140 DSG in Ireland.

He has now done over 650,000 kms (over 400,000 miles) without any major issues. I think he had a new flywheel fitted at some point.

Phil

Guilty as charged!!!!

623,000kms and counting.

You make me feel happy about owning a DSG! lol

Phil

I am in a world of hurt at the moment.........I need a turbo and a steering rack and possibly shocks & springs but it will get whatever it needs because at this stage, as long as the engine keeps turning over and the gearbox keeps changing gear, I will keep this car on the road!!!

1,000,000 kms here I come.

• Like 1

I am in a world of hurt at the moment.........I need a turbo and a steering rack and possibly shocks & springs but it will get whatever it needs because at this stage, as long as the engine keeps turning over and the gearbox keeps changing gear, I will keep this car on the road!!!

1,000,000 kms here I come.

Ouch! Is that the original turbo you're on?

Phil

Ouch! Is that the original turbo you're on?

Phil

No, now that would some achievement !!!

It has had two on already. One at 130,000kms under warranty and one at about 280,000kms.

Can only echo what others have said. Been using the 1.9tdi Octavia's, and now the 2.0cr's for work since 2006 (Vrs's before that). They get used and abused clocking up around 10k every 9 weeks. I've seen examples still in service with 160k on the clock, although due to mileage we tend to only hang on to them for 4 years, some with less mileage stay with us for longer. All the taxi companies around me use them too. Maintained correctly and regularly they will last forever.

No, now that would some achievement !!!

It has had two on already. One at 130,000kms under warranty and one at about 280,000kms.

Haha. Yes that's why I had to check!

Still though that's not too bad.

So it's basically had the same turbo between 280,000km and 623,000km. Can't complain at that!

Phil

Haha. Yes that's why I had to check!

Still though that's not too bad.

So it's basically had the same turbo between 280,000km and 623,000km. Can't complain at that!

Phil

Yes this turbo was a Turbo Technics unit. I haven't given up on it yet, I have purchased the Innotec Turbo Cleaning kit and I am waiting for my mechanic to try it.

Fingers crossed!!!

• 9 months later...

Did u manage to buy an avensis or skoda in the end??? Hope it was skoda... I bought a 11 plate avensis with 40k on to replace my 06 1.9 tdi octavia with 393000 miles, I drove it a week and sold it. The comfort is good for motorway and u don't get tired local... On the road it feels no way near as good as the Octavia's , the handling is rubbish and replacing parts is like buying them for a Mercedes for example.. Wheel bearing 90 quid compared to 40 for octavia (euro car parts) ...I then Replaced it with a 2011 vrs tdi cr... Best move I did!!! So far it's got 70k on running spot on... The 1.9 tdi Octavia's are bullet proof, 393000 miles ... Two clutches ... Same turbo still running.. Had the camshaft done at 312000 miles... Serviced every 7000 mile... Cannot beat them!! I sold it after 8 years onto another taxi driver who's still running it, £1500 quid.. Says it all', Toyota days were the carina 2.0d and avensis upto 2003... Vag all the way now in my opinion!!

My 57 plate has just ticked over to 350,000 this morning, engine is still the original. Had 2 clutches, cam kit fitted at the right times, always had the water pump done as well.

The only new part needed was a valve spring, about 100,000 miles ago. I think it was fitted with cam followers at the same time. BXE engine

Yes same here BXE engine, pastiche... Something is wrong there, flywheel should not go that quick... We run so many octavia 1.9tdis and never had a flywheel go before 150k !!

Where are you having them checked out?

Ten years ago I had problems with a Beemer and they replaced the clutch, but said it was a flywheel problem - oil contamination.

This is a common scam - beware!

To be honest the dual mass flywheel tends to shake a little but doesnt need replacing there and then... Ive had a little rattle on mine for 50k and changed it when clutch went... Local garages around me never really take to dealers as im doin so much mileage it costs way too much!!