Changing the Bosch rear discs and pads; Yeti 4x4 from WK45/09

The Plumber

On 01/07/2018 at 21:27, SuperbTWM said:

Right handed

...... and is the distance between the pin centres either 22mm or 32mm which seems to be "normal" on the non-full-kit ones on eBay?

...... and this is just because I don't understand such newfangled stuff.  On the Ross-Tech VCDS spiel it says it can wind back the pistons remotely.  How on earth does it do that?  I can't believe there's a motor or solenoid attached to the caliper/slave cylinder.  Do they retract when the pressure is released somehow?  And does it work on a 2010/11 Yeti?  I'm just curious as it's an unknown concept to me - I'm not intending to spend over £200 just so I can put some copper grease on the arms of my pads so they don't stick!

29 minutes ago, aka_pseudonym said:

...... and is the distance between the pin centres either 22mm or 32mm which seems to be "normal" on the non-full-kit ones on eBay?

...... and this is just because I don't understand such newfangled stuff.  On the Ross-Tech VCDS spiel it says it can wind back the pistons remotely.  How on earth does it do that?  I can't believe there's a motor or solenoid attached to the caliper/slave cylinder.  Do they retract when the pressure is released somehow?  And does it work on a 2010/11 Yeti?  I'm just curious as it's an unknown concept to me - I'm not intending to spend over £200 just so I can put some copper grease on the arms of my pads so they don't stick!

On electric handbrake models the handbrake is motor controlled. VCDS is used to rewind the motors on these models, but standard handbrakes are purely mechanical wind back.

48 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

On electric handbrake models the handbrake is motor controlled. VCDS is used to rewind the motors on these models, but standard handbrakes are purely mechanical wind back.

OK, thanks.  Makes more sense when you don't know what they are on about!

Any idea if the 22mm/32mm pin centres are OK for VAG cars?

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, new to this forum and needing some help!

Resurrecting this thread as I'm trying to change my rear discs and pads on my Yeti 4x4. I can get the rear pads out, however I'm a bit stuck as there is no way that I can seem to undo the M14 12 spline bolts. I've tried a longer bar but I just cannot get the leverage I need to undo them. 

Other than admitting defeat and taking it to the garage, has anyone else who's done this job got any advice??

It is a 140 2014 4x4 if that helps at all.

Many thanks

• 11 months later...

Hi, just done my yeti 2wd rear disks & pads. 1/2 Hour each side in less than ideal conditions (tight garage).

Mine has 255mm disks, and the disk cleared the caliper carrier without having to undo those spine bolts from behind the hub.

Cheapo, wind back tool from Screwfix did a fine job of rewinding the pistons. Considering how often you're going to use the tool, it's false economy spending out on a noble brand..

• 5 months later...
On 01/07/2018 at 20:06, 175GDY said:

Due to lack of space under my Yeti, I dismantled the 14mm XZN socket and used a long 14mm Gearwrench tool. No fuzz at all, and you can do all the work without staying under your car.

DSC_0483.JPG

DSC_0485.JPG

Clever solution. Is it just a case of tapping the XZN bit out of the "socket"?. Also I assume you just set the torque to F.T.?

Yes, to free the XZN-bit I just tapped it out. And you can use your bench vice to put it back in.
Never mind torque. Just pull till your arms aches😆

12 hours ago, 175GDY said:

Yes, to free the XZN-bit I just tapped it out. And you can use your bench vice to put it back in.
Never mind torque. Just pull till your arms aches😆

FT it is then😀

20 hours ago, 175GDY said:

Yes, to free the XZN-bit I just tapped it out. 😆

@175GDY can you recall what make your 14mm XZN socket was/is? I just spent 20 mins "tapping" at a BGS socket and couldn't move the XZN bit one mm.

21 hours ago, juan27 said:

@175GDY can you recall what make your 14mm XZN socket was/is? I just spent 20 mins "tapping" at a BGS socket and couldn't move the XZN bit one mm.

I also have the BGS kit. As long as you can verify the tool is made up of two parts, it will be possible to dismantle.

I always go for a bigger hammer if nothing happens 😁😁

XZN-BGS-typ.thumb.jpg.3f9c818bc096f357176d7c32ce8fa180.jpg

Managed eventually. tried a gear puller to remove without damage but no dice so cut it with hacksaw until I could wind it out. I bought another as I thought it might come to this....

IMG_20200620_161518.jpg

Did the discs yesterday. I found I could start the caliper holder bolts with a 600mm breaker bar from above with the uj at about 120° so the handle sticks out close to the wheel arch. Care needed to avoid the paintwork obviously. Horrified by the state of the old disks after only 18k miles. Put Brembos on hopefully will fare better.