Knocking when on full right lock

Hi all,

Been a while since I have been on the forum! I have a problem when turning on a full right lock, there is a knocking noise coming from the front of the car. It doesn't do it on a full turn to the left, only the right! A couple of garages said don't worry but it is doing my head in and progressively getting worse! Is it the power steering pump? The car is under (extended) warranty until next year so I want to get it resolved!

Thanks in advance. :)

You had best use the Warranty and go to a garage with Properly Trained and Professional Mechanics that will check the vehicle properly.

Then see if what ever needs doing is covered by the Warranty, because something needs doing, maybe minor maybe not.

Did the other Muppets look at the car on a ramp, on a jack, or road test it or just give the advice?

Have you looked at anything as simple as how worn your brake pads are?

george

If it's a regular knock knock knock that's related to speed then my best guess is a CV joint, if the rubber boot has split then the grease gets flung out and it runs dry then gets noisy. For right turns it's usually the driver's side.

I don't know if your warranty will cover it though, ware and tare... 

Edited by Stonesie
  • Like 1

Look back at my threads and I had the exact same problem.  Next thing that happened, my power steering failed!!  My power steering pump and rack were both changed to no avail so i doubt its them.  According to VAG technicians its very very common

CV joints mostly tend to click loudly if the bearings are worn as you drive around a corner on right lock. The drive shaft inner doughnut also can become noisy as it wears but it's not usually a problem on these Fabia's. The suspension idler arm bushes can wear and cause a clunk as can the ball joints and track control arms when the bushes become worn. If your steering rack has come loose on the right side that too will clunk and is the most obvious candidate to check first in my book. Front suspension strut mountings also wear and clunk when on full lock. Of course, the steering rack may be fitted tightly but the internals may be worn and clunking, but that's unusual as they last for a very long time before giving problems. If that's ok then go on to check the other items. What mileage has the car done?

Edited by Estate Man

Many thanks for all of the replies guys :thumbup: They changed a CV joint (haven't told me which one yet as I haven't received the bill!) - on the way home and parking the car the noise was still there. Another separate non Skoda garage looked at it too and said it was alright - just reckoned it was the age of the car! I said to the garage I was taking it to Scotland and he said it was fine. I have done about 3K at least with this issue now, it is only at low speed when turning around etc. I do want to get it sorted and it is doing my head in! :wall:

I have always had lots of knocking noise with this car and it does seem to be of a different quality to the Octavia I had last! Im on my 7th Skoda and this has got to be the noisiest for rattles and knocks. A new one has developed at the back of the car today as well :(

So am I thinking power steering pump maybe the answer? Anyway tricks with Vag com I can use to help me make sure as I would love to get it sorted.

Other useful info:-

- Just had new discs and pads on the front - front wheels were balanced.

- Front tyres Uniroyals - 16" - new about 2K ago.

- Car has done approx 77K - I am racking the miles up quite quickly these days.

Thanks for all of your help

Edited by richardsfavorit

You havent received the bill :think:  If the car is under "Extended Warranty" as you say, you shouldn't be getting one.

If they changed a CV and it's still the same just take it back and insist they find out what it is. I've had this happen to me where I had a brake problem (Fabia Mk1) and they changed the caliper and master cyl before finding it was the Servo causing the problem!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply horkin.

Well a bit of a further update on this and another 1000 miles later.

I bet none of you would guess what was actually wrong with this as it had the mechanic I know well quite baffled! I took it to a guy who has worked on my cars for years and he knows Skoda's really well. Initial thoughts were the weights on the wheels bashing the track rods, until he had a drive in it. This puzzled him a bit more until he got his torch out and had a good look at everything. It turned out to be ..... wait for it..... the brake pipe knocking against the wheel! :wonder:

I had a shock aborber replaced by a Skoda dealer (who for the current time will remain nameless until I give them the chance to sort the issue), where they have tangled the abs cable up with the brake cable and caused it to knock the wheel whilst on full lock :@ The cable is so badly chaffed it is dangerous. Needless to say they have had an email (with photo) and are going to have a phone call first thing tomorrow morning.

I certainly didn't expect that!

Shoddy work indeed but hey! you found it and got it sorted so it's not all bad news. Now you can really enjoy your car and know nothings going to drop off! :rofl:  All the best.!

Thanks - yes it is in the Skoda garage today. I am so glad I spotted - another few months and it would have had a nice hole in it! Both CV boots are bust too and the air con isn't working. So hopefully it will be ok when I get it back. Fingers crossed.

• 1 year later...