Citigo Owners please Read!

Taylor93

So as some of you may know, my citigo developed a Whistle/Whine. It only came about when the engine was up to temperature and did it no matter which gear was selected, Clutch depressed or not and AC didn't have any kind of effect on it.(here is my old thread : http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/285096-citigo-whistle/#entry3377928). I booked it back in with Skoda and they have just given me some bad news.

The water pump is knackered. It was the cause of the whine.

They also have the problem that their system shows two varying water pumps for the Citigo's (although the engines are the same?). So it means i have to wait a day or two for them to identify the correct part and to fit it.

So please! If your citigo is making a whine/Whistle noise which is very loud (i mean seriously loud) and can still be heard at 1500RPM, please check it out. Here is what my car sounded like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiusiPK24Y&feature=youtu.be

A bit of info about the cars life:

Built Early August 2012.

75PS elegance

8600 Miles.

4 Mile commute, so 8 miles per day.

While doing short commutes i refuse to push/"rag" the car.

Anything else you want to know, just ask.

I don't want everyone to get scared and start running to their dealers, but please keep an ear out for it. I have heard it albeit a lot quieter on a 13 plate citigo (the Courtesy car)

Thanks for reading

T

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up

I bet the service Dpt feel a bit stupid after fobbing you off the last time?

• Like 1

Glad you got an answer pal and thanks for letting everyone know. I read your original post and was a bit worried about buying two brand new Skoda's after it seemed they had fobbed you off with the "a characteristic of the engine" rubbish even though it was clear that sound was not normal.

It's a good thing to know as the wife picks up her new Citigo next week.

I will say, generally when i have gone into the service/parts department looking for information or parts, I have come away very pleased with their service.

If i am honest i think it has been a bit of a learning experiance for the dealer. Its a new car, i assume they have not had many returns, and when they do, they may think "oh heres a paranoid driver". But now they are doing something about it, i am happy with the service. I dont feel that they have done a bad job so far, bit of a balls up but i think they may be a bit more cautious with this kind of Citigo Fault in the future.

For those who are interested here is my Courtesy car

20130827_162650_zpsdcc340bb.jpg

20130827_162706_zps3575545a.jpg

I think its S or SE trim, 60PS, fairly basic. But! I popped out to get a lambda sensor for my Fabia, and i got thinking, compared to this courtesy car, All i would really want on top of it was the leather Wheel + Gear stick, Start Stop and the Upgraded sound system.

I realised i dont need heated wing mirrors or city safe. Its just extra bumf. It did make me realise the Citigo is a cracking little car in standard trim, it has alot going for it! :)

But hopefully this whole problem will me sorted soon and i will be back in my Elegance :)

I do like that colour a lot

The Sport version would look fantastic in that green with black stripes

Anyway...

Thanks for sharing your trouble with the forum, appreciate it and hope you get sorted quickly

Damo

• Like 1

It does make you realise you don't need the extra kit, it's a great little car that's fun to drive in any spec.

Makes some of the nearly new 2nd had ones on ebay look a bargain IMO.

• Like 1

It does make you realise you don't need the extra kit, it's a great little car that's fun to drive in any spec.

Makes some of the nearly new 2nd had ones on ebay look a bargain IMO.

dont tempt me! :P

Just a quick update, skoda fitted the new water pump and it's all good.

For those who don't know, the water pump is positioned directly above the gear box and it is in the black enclosure combined with the thermostat.

I would also like to share that it doesn't appear to be driven by the cambelt but infact the camshaft! I suppose thst is to allow for a lobg life cambelt. Also means the water pump can easily be replaced in the event of a failure :)

The whole assembly is quite large and can easily reach the depth (I.e the side of the engine)

• Like 1

Most of the extras you get on cars are not really needed and are just something extra to fail.  My father's very basic Dacia Sandero shows that very nicely.  However heated wing mirrors are quite useful in the winter.  My dealer said that city safe was a con and a waste of money as just how often are you going to be about to crash travelling at just the right speed.  I saw his point.

Yes, most extras you spec are worth little at trade in time.

Unless you are keeping the car for a fair amount of time and get the value out of them... the more you add, the more short term depreciation you add.

• Like 2

I realised i dont need heated wing mirrors or city safe. Its just extra bumf. It did make me realise the Citigo is a cracking little car in standard trim, it has alot going for it! :)

Love this comment. I love the stripped down approach.

Now I disagree with Taylor93.

Heated mirrors are a  godsend on a cold and frosty morning. Too many nuppets (It means they do not have the brains to even be a muppet) go out with frosted up mirrors and don't look to see what's behind or on the rear edge.

Citysafe is one of those things that when you have one of those situations e.g. something/one stepping in front of the car and you can't react fast enough. It's then that you say you are glad you got it. However, the chance of you using it is hopefully very slight.

• Like 1

Yes, most extras you spec are worth little at trade in time.

Unless you are keeping the car for a fair amount of time and get the value out of them... the more you add, the more short term depreciation you add.

Couldn't agree more. My Fabia had options galore: Amundsen satnav, heated seats, climate control, parking sensors, cruise, glasses holder, leccy rear windows, and the dealer neither knew nor cared what options it had when giving me the settlement price, just looked at that month's book price and told me the figure.

Funnily enough am not really missing any of these creature comforts in the Citigo - although of course my Citigo has a nav as standard.