Octavia II TDI Starting problems

Hi I have recently bought a 2004 Octavia II 1.9 TDI which has now become awkward to start!

The issue is that it does not always display the Glowplug symbol on the dash, and the key then needs turning off/on until the glowpug symbol shows. Once the symbol shows, the car will start fine and run all day.

This situation is getting worse, sometimes the key needs turning upto 14 times, others it will start straight away.

I have so far changed the Ignition switch, Engine temperature sensor and tried a substitute Relay 458 in the Ebox.

Any advice appreciated.

is the problem during cold start, hot start or both? if it's just hot start the common priblens are eiher the battery or starter motor because on a warm/hot start the engine has to turn over at a minimum speed before the injectors start squirting fuel. if it's both or cold I've no idea but others will probably be able to offer advice.

Hi. The problem occurs on both hot or cold starting. I have just been out locally in the car, first start took around 10 key turns, then next start was first turn of the key.

This sounds similar to Relay 219 problems, that occur on some VAG cars, but I do not know what the equivalent relay is on my car if there is one?

Thanks for suggestions.

• 1 year later...