Squeaking drivers seat

seppuku

Hi guys,

I bought my Fabia vRS brand new in June, and shortly after the driver's seat started squeaking annoyingly.

Took it back to the dealers and they couldn't replicate the issue (hmmm!).

Since then it's got worse and it's driving me mad.

Should I take it back again - is there a fix, or is it something I just have to live with?

Several threads already on the subject,

if you can not replicate the squeak it is difficult.

You need to decide if the noise is the seat base or the runners.

If at the runners i might suggest that some lubrication would maybe help, if in the seat base then it will not.

I had Runners and seat base replaced becuse the seat would not move, but not because of a squeak.

Do not just go spaying oil on the runners though, try to identify where the noise is, then get the dealer to deal with under warranty.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/215641-another-squeak-rattle-roll

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/247640-squeaky-seat

Thanks - you're right I should have done a search before creating this thread, as having done so I've now fixed it!

As another member on here discovered, if you have the seat at it's lowest possible height adjustment, there's some play in it and it will squeak. Raising it up just a couple of notches takes the slack out of it and hence - no more squeaks.

Very very pleased! Thanks Briskoda!

• Like 1

The seat should be usable in all positions and not squeak though.

On long runs my seat is fully back on the runners and then set at the lowest, and it does not squeak. And you should not need to have a squeak.

The old runners and base did not, it was just stuck, fully back, the new ones do not squeak,

(A little lube of the springs might be worth doing. just a wee ticky, not loads of grease.)

george

• 1 year later...

I thought I had the drivers seat squeak and have now traced it to the rear seat back catch or the seat pivot.

Anyhow I have lubricated the catch with Vaselene and sprayed the pivot with WD40 and the squeak has gone.

Hope this may help someone.

I thought I had the drivers seat squeak and have now traced it to the rear seat back catch or the seat pivot.

Anyhow I have lubricated the catch with Vaselene and sprayed the pivot with WD40 and the squeak has gone.

Hope this may help someone.

Where abouts did you put the lubricant mate? I might be being thick but i cant visualise it lol.

its at the top of the rear part of the seat, near parcel shelf, ie when you fold down the rear upright its where it clicks back into place

at least thats what was squeaking on mine, especially when going over speed bumps, at first i thought it was suspension but turned out even simpler

Edited by the mad monk

Where abouts did you put the lubricant mate? I might be being thick but i cant visualise it lol.

If you tip the seat back forward there is a hole at the top with a catch, lubricate that.  Also lubricate the two hinge pins at the bottom where the seat pivots, but I think the catch is the culprit.

Mad Monk has found it too.

• Like 1

Just a thought, white grease may be a good idea if you apply it carefully. I used it on my door hinges and bonnet catch/hinges eta. It looks a bit ugly, although a smarten up with a rag would help, but it stays in place and works for ages, unlike many thinner oils. I used wd40's version, in an aerosol can, which I rate highly.