Stop/start

Hi folks.

Getting to grips with the new motor and one thing I'm not a fan of In the stop/start system to save fuel and the fact this has to be turned off every time I start the car. Is there a way this can be turned off without the need to do so every time I start the car? I have checked the manual and nothing to suggest a way of doing so. Thanks

Does start stop not only work if you take the car out of gear and lift the clutch?

Personally I've been trying to get used to taking the car out of gear. Bad habit I'm sure but I sit with my foot on the clutch at lights etc.

I would say by the tone of the OP, there's a reasonable probability not.

My vRS will have it, whether it remains active or not, I will have to see.

Sorry, difficult to convey tone on here, I meant why doesn't the OP like it, not why, don't you like it?

My commute would involve probably two dozen sets of traffic lights, half of which you would be sitting at a red for 30 or so seconds so keeping clutch to floor is just a pain in the -;/! I went for the petrol Vrs for performance first, not economy. I like the fact she is doing 35ish to the gallon and cheaper than my previous cars to tax however I do not like this stop/start at all. I may use it in the future but would like to have the option to turn it off without the need to do so every time I start the car. Also, the starter motor is taking a lot more abuse. And secondly I have always allowed my turbo charged cars to idle for circa 20 seconds prior to Turing engine off as most enthusiasts would do, this system only allows a fraction of that. I will contact the dealer to see what they can do

I have driven manual start/stop vehicles before and have got used to them, but yesterday I tested a vRS with DSG and that is just wierd it being in gear and it stopping itself and starting again whilst in gear, wierd, will I keep it on when I receive my car, not sure, maybe, maybe not, I am sure like many things the start/stop sytem suits some people but not others.

Do let us know whether the dealer is able to do anything.  My new vRS on order will have S/S and I'm not a fan either.  I find it irritating, and I'm not convinced that it saves very much fuel.

I assume you've checked the various settings on the Maxidot: I think there are some things on it that aren't mentioned in the manual.

When i test drove a elegance diesel dsg i found the start/stop much better than manual, it really doesn't bother me at all, i just adapt my driving to it. When i take my mums car out that has it i just put the clutch down a split second earlier, when i get the vrs which is dsg it will not affect me at all, and as it does everything itself i don't see any issues at all, it was fairly fast at starting up on the elegance

• Like 1

I will report back with dealers options on this, IMO this is an aid which should not need to be turned off every time you start the car!! I had a dsg diesel for a day whilst waiting on my Vrs to be prepped, I found the stop/start worse on this due to the vibrations caused by the diesel motor constantly stopping and starting. I doubt it saves much fuel however each to their own I guess.

the way to prove if it saves fuel is to drive the same route several times with the SS on and off, to get a bit of an average mpg for both with and without stop start

if you only have a few stops then you will see little saving, but rush hour traffic you can se upto 10% saving

on my commute to last job I used to have to go through a 15 minute stretch of stop start traffic over about a mile, with stop/start I used to get high fifties, without it was low fifties or high forties, if I was on late shift there was only a couple of sets of lights and there was little or no visible difference in mpg 

depends on traffic you go through as to whether the system saves fuel

I am not sure the system can be disabled even with vagcom or dealer kit, the other way to disable it is put the fan/cooling on windscreen demist, that works as well

Edited by bluecar1

My commute would involve probably two dozen sets of traffic lights, half of which you would be sitting at a red for 30 or so seconds so keeping clutch to floor is just a pain in the -;/! I went for the petrol Vrs for performance first, not economy. I like the fact she is doing 35ish to the gallon and cheaper than my previous cars to tax however I do not like this stop/start at all. I may use it in the future but would like to have the option to turn it off without the need to do so every time I start the car. Also, the starter motor is taking a lot more abuse. And secondly I have always allowed my turbo charged cars to idle for circa 20 seconds prior to Turing engine off as most enthusiasts would do, this system only allows a fraction of that. I will contact the dealer to see what they can do

After 4 years with stop/start, that journey would drive me NUTS to have the engine idling, wasting fuel 24 times.  If you want to let the turbo cool at the end of the journey, just keep the clutch in for 20 seconds then, and then turn off.

• Like 2

Not got mine yet but have driven a few manual VAG cars wth it and can't see the problem, you stop at some traffic lights or in a queue and put the car in neutral as normal and engine stops, once you're ready to go by the time you've got the clutch pedal to the floor the engine is running..... It's no different to driving a car without it IMO and I'm very looking forward to having it in my new one.

Start Stop on the DSG is fine at lights, but the worst design for the M25, and I really dont want to have to switch it on and off whilst sitting in traffic against sat at lights.

my process is to put the car in neutral and hover on the break, and this doesnt activate start/stop, however if I put my foot on the break too hard then the car will stop.

I was a passenger recently in an A4 TDI with DSG and S/S and it was rather unpleasant with it stopping and starting every few seconds - and the added delay on taking off whilst waiting that split second for the engine to start.  I don't suppose it would be too bad in a petrol though?

There are several scenarios where it won't "Stop" (like window demist. A/C on, etc) as well as pressing the "Off" button..

As for turbo cooling - it isn't so much of a problem with water cooled turbos (it was with the older oil cooled ones..) - especially as the engines have an auxiliary water pump to maintain coolant flow nowadays.