#1 parsey83

parsey83

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Car:2013 VRS Estate 220 bhp petrol.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 19:33

Hi folks.

Getting to grips with the new motor and one thing I'm not a fan of In the stop/start system to save fuel and the fact this has to be turned off every time I start the car. Is there a way this can be turned off without the need to do so every time I start the car? I have checked the manual and nothing to suggest a way of doing so. Thanks

#2 TheWanderer

TheWanderer

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Car:Skoda Octavia Mk3 vRS 220 DSG Hatch.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 19:54

I think you have to get the dealer to do it via a laptop. 

#3 Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 19:57

Why are you not a fan?

#4 TheWanderer

TheWanderer

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:03

I would say by the tone of the OP, there's a reasonable probability not. 

My vRS will have it, whether it remains active or not, I will have to see.

#5 redandwhitepauly

redandwhitepauly

Account closed at member request

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Car:2.0TDi Octavia Elegance

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:06

You don't need to turn it off, just keep the clutch depressed and keep it in gear and the engine will keep going

#6 gullyg

gullyg

Advanced Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Car:MK3 Octavia vRS Estate TDI

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:06

Does start stop not only work if you take the car out of gear and lift the clutch?

Personally I've been trying to get used to taking the car out of gear. Bad habit I'm sure but I sit with my foot on the clutch at lights etc.

#7 Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:09

I would say by the tone of the OP, there's a reasonable probability not.

My vRS will have it, whether it remains active or not, I will have to see.

Sorry, difficult to convey tone on here, I meant why doesn't the OP like it, not why, don't you like it?

#8 parsey83

parsey83

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:15

My commute would involve probably two dozen sets of traffic lights, half of which you would be sitting at a red for 30 or so seconds so keeping clutch to floor is just a pain in the -;/! I went for the petrol Vrs for performance first, not economy. I like the fact she is doing 35ish to the gallon and cheaper than my previous cars to tax however I do not like this stop/start at all. I may use it in the future but would like to have the option to turn it off without the need to do so every time I start the car. Also, the starter motor is taking a lot more abuse. And secondly I have always allowed my turbo charged cars to idle for circa 20 seconds prior to Turing engine off as most enthusiasts would do, this system only allows a fraction of that. I will contact the dealer to see what they can do

#9 james_19742000

james_19742000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Car:1/3/14 vRS TDI DSG Diesel Estate in White with lots of toys!

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:31

I have driven manual start/stop vehicles before and have got used to them, but yesterday I tested a vRS with DSG and that is just wierd it being in gear and it stopping itself and starting again whilst in gear, wierd, will I keep it on when I receive my car, not sure, maybe, maybe not, I am sure like many things the start/stop sytem suits some people but not others.

#10 Zdenek Fibich

Zdenek Fibich

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Car:Octavia 3 vRS estate 2.0 TSI manual

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:50

Do let us know whether the dealer is able to do anything.  My new vRS on order will have S/S and I'm not a fan either.  I find it irritating, and I'm not convinced that it saves very much fuel.

I assume you've checked the various settings on the Maxidot: I think there are some things on it that aren't mentioned in the manual.

#11 Robfab

Robfab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Car:Mk2 FL Octavia vRS TDI - mk3 on order

Posted 21 September 2013 - 20:52

When i test drove a elegance diesel dsg i found the start/stop much better than manual, it really doesn't bother me at all, i just adapt my driving to it. When i take my mums car out that has it i just put the clutch down a split second earlier, when i get the vrs which is dsg it will not affect me at all, and as it does everything itself i don't see any issues at all, it was fairly fast at starting up on the elegance
  • ords likes this

#12 parsey83

parsey83

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 21:07

I will report back with dealers options on this, IMO this is an aid which should not need to be turned off every time you start the car!! I had a dsg diesel for a day whilst waiting on my Vrs to be prepped, I found the stop/start worse on this due to the vibrations caused by the diesel motor constantly stopping and starting. I doubt it saves much fuel however each to their own I guess.

#13 bluecar1

bluecar1

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Car:fabia greenline II :) Citigo elegance greentech 75ps

Posted 21 September 2013 - 21:46

the way to prove if it saves fuel is to drive the same route several times with the SS on and off, to get a bit of an average mpg for both with and without stop start

if you only have a few stops then you will see little saving, but rush hour traffic you can se upto 10% saving

on my commute to last job I used to have to go through a 15 minute stretch of stop start traffic over about a mile, with stop/start I used to get high fifties, without it was low fifties or high forties, if I was on late shift there was only a couple of sets of lights and there was little or no visible difference in mpg 

depends on traffic you go through as to whether the system saves fuel

I am not sure the system can be disabled even with vagcom or dealer kit, the other way to disable it is put the fan/cooling on windscreen demist, that works as well

Edited by bluecar1, 21 September 2013 - 21:48.

#14 Juniperz

Juniperz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Car:Octy3 2.0TDi Elegance Combi, Steel Grey, Full Ivory Leather

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:26

My commute would involve probably two dozen sets of traffic lights, half of which you would be sitting at a red for 30 or so seconds so keeping clutch to floor is just a pain in the -;/! I went for the petrol Vrs for performance first, not economy. I like the fact she is doing 35ish to the gallon and cheaper than my previous cars to tax however I do not like this stop/start at all. I may use it in the future but would like to have the option to turn it off without the need to do so every time I start the car. Also, the starter motor is taking a lot more abuse. And secondly I have always allowed my turbo charged cars to idle for circa 20 seconds prior to Turing engine off as most enthusiasts would do, this system only allows a fraction of that. I will contact the dealer to see what they can do

After 4 years with stop/start, that journey would drive me NUTS to have the engine idling, wasting fuel 24 times.  If you want to let the turbo cool at the end of the journey, just keep the clutch in for 20 seconds then, and then turn off.

• Neily03 and ords like this

#15 kenny

kenny

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts
  • Car:Audi A4 Quattro S-Line

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:34

The DSG start stop works better IMHO. Press the brake at lights, hold it engine cuts off. Begin to release the brake and car starts and off u go. My A6 is seamless and I now actually like it
  • ords likes this

#16 Neily03

Neily03

Neil

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts
  • Car:Octavia III vRS Combi

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:32

Not got mine yet but have driven a few manual VAG cars wth it and can't see the problem, you stop at some traffic lights or in a queue and put the car in neutral as normal and engine stops, once you're ready to go by the time you've got the clutch pedal to the floor the engine is running..... It's no different to driving a car without it IMO and I'm very looking forward to having it in my new one.

#17 gadgetman

gadgetman

Ready for summer

• Administrators
  • 20,864 posts
  • Car:VW Sharan & VW Touran

Posted 22 September 2013 - 16:55

It's only effective if you're stationary for 20 seconds or more. In slowly edging forward traffic it's best disabled.

Interestingly I notice the mpg rising when stationary and the engine in stop.

#18 wantaskoda

wantaskoda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Car:MKIII Octy Elegance 1.6 DSG Race Blue - no extras Previous Car Octavia L&K 2.0 DSG

Posted 22 September 2013 - 17:46

Start Stop on the DSG is fine at lights, but the worst design for the M25, and I really dont want to have to switch it on and off whilst sitting in traffic against sat at lights.

my process is to put the car in neutral and hover on the break, and this doesnt activate start/stop, however if I put my foot on the break too hard then the car will stop.

#19 Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 17:48

Will Skoda really do anything about this? Can't see them disabling a feature which has an effect on the vehicles emissions!

#20 TheWanderer

TheWanderer

Uber Member

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:09

I would suggest that you manually deactivate the system when on the M25, as I would have thought it could do more harm than good. 

#21 Partist

Partist

Finding my Feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Car:Mercedes Benz SLK; SEAT Leon; Octavia III 2.0TDI CR 4x4 SE estate

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:23

I like it, and also liked it on a courtesy BMW 320D that I had, last year.

#22 ruffday

ruffday

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Car:Skoda Superb 1.6 TDi Greenline SE Hatch Octavia 1 1.8t 4x4 Elegance Estate

Posted 22 September 2013 - 19:06

Its hardly a chore to press a switch is it?

#23 philhoward

philhoward

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Car:Octavia 3 1.4 TSi DSG Estate/Citigo 75 Elegance ASG

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:41

I was a passenger recently in an A4 TDI with DSG and S/S and it was rather unpleasant with it stopping and starting every few seconds - and the added delay on taking off whilst waiting that split second for the engine to start.  I don't suppose it would be too bad in a petrol though?

There are several scenarios where it won't "Stop" (like window demist. A/C on, etc) as well as pressing the "Off" button..

As for turbo cooling - it isn't so much of a problem with water cooled turbos (it was with the older oil cooled ones..) - especially as the engines have an auxiliary water pump to maintain coolant flow nowadays.

#24 fireftrm

fireftrm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Car:Mk3 vRS estate, TDi, Race Blue, black pack, CC, Admundsen

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:43

Nor is there a problem for the starter motor, as updated motors are fitted for the very propose!