New vRS tyres?

Hi, I have the Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres on the car but have damaged one of the fronts. Can anyone advise if it is still ok to drive or if I should get just that one tyre replaced or both fronts? I've got about 3-4mm left on them.

Ive been looking at different tyres and the Avon ZZ5 XL seems to have good reviews and look good value for money for the performance. Wet grip B and fuel efficiency E (Assuming I replace both) 205/40 R17

http://www.tyrerevie...re/Avon/ZZ5.htm

I have found them for £151.80 fully fitted for 2 Avon ZZ5 XL

The popular Uniroyal Rainsport 2 XL are £216.82 for 2.

Are they really that much better than the Avons? They have the same grip and fuel efficiency rating.

Thanks!

Martin

post-108540-0-76108600-1380291233_thumb.jpg

The popular Uniroyal Rainsport 2 XL are £216.82 for 2.

Are they really that much better than the Avons? They have the same grip and fuel efficiency rating.

Thanks!

Martin

I think for the money there is nothing better. Awesome in the wet, made by Continental.

When I had them fitted to my Octavia Vrs I ran them higher than the recommended pressures. it suited the ride better

Just my opinion  

Having said that anything is better than the Dunlops you have 

Replace the tyre asap, I wouldn't even consider driving the car with that damage. I haven't used the Uniroyal personally so can't comment however the Michelin PS3 is a great tyre in both wet and dry.

As there is only around 3mm on the other tyre I would replace both.

• Like 2

Maybe there's a shortage of them in my area or they've become so popular the prices have crept up. The cheapest fully fitted option I could find is £104.99 a tyre. Has anyone tried the Avon ZZ5's? As long as they're the same or better than the Dunlops I'll be happy. I've only had the car a week and im loving it but now im sad I can't take it for a decent test drive this weekend.

The OE Conti just liquified when pushed really really hard.

Michelins PS3s seem to handle everything very well and the tyrereview reports came out good.  Which other tyres are A rated wet grip, not many at all?  http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

Below about 10C no summer tyres I imagine grip that well so switching to Winters I would recommend.

Give it another 4 weeks or so I will be on the Winters, Nexen Winguards, only C rated grip but avialable in 17s and very good in very wet, muddy and snowy conditions. Se Openeo reviews.  http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/car-summer-tyres-205-40-r17 but Michelins are usually best bought from ATS as Michelins own ATS and do the best deals through then.  VAG Motorsport use Michelins, nuf said. 

Where did you get them for that price? I've looked online and phoned pretty much every tyre fitter in the area. I've not been able to get them for under £100 a tyre.

My local place - Performance Tyres - to be fair, it wouldn't be economical for you to travel to them!

For some reason their prices are ridiculously good - they're Uniroyal stockists and on three separate cars (MKI Fabia vRS, MKII Fabia vRS and a Ford Fiesta) they've been a good bit cheaper than the best online prices - I almost feel a bit guilty!

I like contis but have found they dont wear particularly well.

changed ours for P Zero Nero's and actually really liked them, bit cheaper than SC5's are as well.

still think probably the best tyre is the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 but they are bloody dear.

I like contis but have found they dont wear particularly well.

changed ours for P Zero Nero's and actually really liked them, bit cheaper than SC5's are as well.

still think probably the best tyre is the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 but they are bloody dear.

Problem is the British pound is quite weak against the Euro.  When there is a deal on it can be much cheaper but not deals on at the moment.

Most tyre companies preparing for Winter hence they are cheaper and what is in demand at present.

Even PS3s do not work that well below 10C. 

Have you checked out www.Blackcircle .com for products and price.

Had Goodyears fitted to my partners Fabia vRS ,she does above average mileage and is a quick driver. 

Wet or dry grip is good and so does wear rate appear to be .

Again rotate at services, front to back, extends life.

Mytyres

£88:90 each

Currently £73.90 each at Camskill.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=97479

If you include Postage, that's £153.78 for a pair delivered. you just have to add fitting costs. (£10-15 per tyre).

I currently run them on my Fabia I vRS and have been very happy with them.

Gonna get the Avons when I get the car back from Skoda. Yep that's right, had it a week and it broke down last night.The 'control system for exhaust gases warning light' came on, the car went into safe mode so I just made the last half home. I phoned Skoda assist - who I must say are very good - the RAC guy said there was a fault with cylinder 1 and said the spark plug was covered in oil. He cleaned it up and was running fine but thinks Skoda need to look at it to see why it happened. I am now very upset I won't get to enjoy my new car for however long. Anyone else had this problem?

Gonna get the Avons when I get the car back from Skoda. Yep that's right, had it a week and it broke down last night.The 'control system for exhaust gases warning light' came on, the car went into safe mode so I just made the last half home. I phoned Skoda assist - who I must say are very good - the RAC guy said there was a fault with cylinder 1 and said the spark plug was covered in oil. He cleaned it up and was running fine but thinks Skoda need to look at it to see why it happened. I am now very upset I won't get to enjoy my new car for however long. Anyone else had this problem?

I had Avons are they were not to bad (on a 140hp wiesel Altea XL), propably on a par with Contis 2 that I have had but much cheaper and you are supporting a tyre firm with a UK manufacturing base ie at Melksham Wiltshire (though owned by Coopers of the USA).  There was a price war on tyres a few weeks ago but those deals seem to have evaporated sadly.