"Phantom" fabia II vRS estate

sharkrider

Currently reading up on Porsche Boxster Brembo conversions............immense upgrade, but many many cash all in

Which brembo options are you looking at?  if its the famous NQSBBK (not quite so big big brake kit) Boxter setup that is prevalent on the Mk5 GTI/Mk2 Octavia vRS setup you will find it wont fit the Mk2 Fabia.  The 4 pots on the Mk1 LCR will work though.

Its not as simple as changing calipers and everything is better.  You need to match the piston CSA of the upgraded calipers to within -0% and +8% of the stock caliper piston (figures from Dave @ VAGBremtechnik who is a very highly regarded man when it comes to brake upgrades on VAGs).  If you dont, the master cylinder will struggle and you will end up with worse brakes.

• Like 1

I did say "reading up on" not "purchasing" :) jeesh

As well documented in my build thread :) I am more than likely taking some calipers from a Mk4 Golf which from my "reading" would seem to be a good straight forward bolt on option.

I'm looking into the leather interior brimma! ;) and no sparkly , just the fronts, the rears dont do enough work to get hot enough (unless you abuse the ESP! which you shouldnt be doing if you are smooth enough to go fast! )

and yes they are spare 288 mm discs, There is an argument about bigger discs offset against more weight to spin up ect , but I find i can "almost" make the standard brakes work on track , and dont really need bigger discs, as I dont feel i need more retardation, the power of the brakes is fine, but you can just overheat them, so I am going to yellowstuff pads on standard discs, its cheap, and according to the previous owner (they have done 300 miles) it was on the track twice with them and they illiminated the fade, so i'm just going to do this for now, and see the results ;)

All makes sense, although I would prefer to run same pads all round.

I've run into a possible snag with the R32 334mm kit, I'm doubtful that these will fit behind my Gigaro's as the calipers are erm.....well.....massive. Budget won't run to new wheels at the same time.

If this is a no go I will default to a cheap and cheerful 312mm upgrade front and 256mm rears, then all consumables are well catered for and much cheaper. Not exotic as upgrades go but cost effective.

All makes sense, although I would prefer to run same pads all round.

I've run into a possible snag with the R32 334mm kit, I'm doubtful that these will fit behind my Gigaro's as the calipers are erm.....well.....massive. Budget won't run to new wheels at the same time.

If this is a no go I will default to a cheap and cheerful 312mm upgrade front and 256mm rears, then all consumables are well catered for and much cheaper. Not exotic as upgrades go but cost effective.

312mm brakes on my 4 mo are excellent, ask Sharky, he drove it around Oulton Park, as the car weighs easily 250 to 300 kilos more than a Fabia I would imagine they would stop a Fabia in a very short time as long as your tyres grip the tarmac.  Cheap and Cheerful is your friend and IMO the way forward.

312mm brakes on my 4 mo are excellent, ask Sharky, he drove it around Oulton Park, as the car weighs easily 250 to 300 kilos more than a Fabia I would imagine they would stop a Fabia in a very short time as long as your tyres grip the tarmac.  Cheap and Cheerful is your friend and IMO the way forward.

this is true, the brakes on James golf were certainly up to the job :) I'm also going the cheap and cheerful way with just high temp pads for now ;) my (standard brakes) were always smoking when I came off track, James gold seemed quite happy within it limits :)

why thankyou sir! I do like how I've got it at the moment :) it goes in for its 10k service soon where it will be getting its next upgrade of yellowstuff pads ;)

I see loads of black mark I vRS's around, I gave up flashing them 'cause most aren't on here!

Yeah there are so many mk 1 VRS's in West Cumbria. At least yours is one of a kind around here, well it's the only one I've seen. Especially all black! Can't wait to start modifying mine. Mines an 05 reg with only 55k miles!

there is SO much available for the mark I vRS (I had one too ;) ) you have a world of tuning available! you just have to decide in what order to do it, and what to choose!

when you start get a project thread up ;) there are a few nice ones , Jasons (devonutopia) is an extream example, dark Hero (has a project thread on here) I know him, nice chap, and a VERY nice example of the breed :) get along to some of the meets :)

• Like 1

out of track mode into winter commute mode, winter wheels are on (seeing as in the comming monsoon my track worn fronts will no longer work!) octy mark I elegance wheels, expertly refurbished by me ;) with 205/45/16 goodyear winters

from offside:

mnf5.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

front:

jwwy.jpg

rear:

8kyi.jpg

nearside:

3gts.jpg

what do you think?

edit: as sparkly pointed out, they look weird because they are further "into the car" than the 17's! must be a different offset, still pleanty of room for the calipers though!

some greenstuff pads will be finding their way to me soon :)

hey sharky, ive just joined and was looking through your thread, loving your estate. im not very mechanically minded or experienced but one thing  is you will most definately hate those in my opinion. i had a set fitted to my 2008 ibiza 1.9 tdi fr (old shape) and they were absolute horrid and nothing but judder :( luckily i had a friend that sorted me for cheap brand new with trade prices but i hated them.

• Like 1

hey sharky, ive just joined and was looking through your thread, loving your estate. im not very mechanically minded or experienced but one thing  is you will most definately hate those in my opinion. i had a set fitted to my 2008 ibiza 1.9 tdi fr (old shape) and they were absolute horrid and nothing but judder :( luckily i had a friend that sorted me for cheap brand new with trade prices but i hated them.

yes matey, aprreciate the heads up, I have be warned, I now have yellowstuff instead, apparently much better, and the more track orientated...

and welcome to the forums :)

• Like 1

right phantom has been in for his first service at 10250 miles! Thanks to Jav at border cars lillyhall for looking after him ;) health report is all green and good! (although he didn't reccomend doing any track work on my winters! lol..) he knows skodas well, his son is on here with a modded mark I vRS, and he knows his mods too :) think he's my new adopted mechanic! lol..

got rid of the knackered overheated front OE pads.... dont look too good for 10k do they?! dont know if you can tell by the pic, but they were cracked down the middle and all the paint had bubbled off from the overheating and abouse at oulton park! good thing though is he says the discs are perfectly fine :) I have some spare disccs anyway :)

iily.jpg

to be replaced with nice hight temp (up to 900C!) yellowstuff pads.....

there is a storm up here at the moment, on the drive home, they were exactly the same feel as the standard pads, so no worries about normal "cold" driving, wont get to test 'em proper until the next track day! but they look good :)

y4qz.jpg

and what is it about having your car serviced? why does it always seem to "feel" better?! lol...

• Like 2