"Phantom" fabia II vRS estate

sharkrider

• 3 weeks later...

Just found your build page today. Nice to see I'm not the only one doing some track work in their Fabia RS estate/wagon/combi. As far as mods go there is not much difference between our cars. I think you should find that just replacing your front brake rotors and pads should make a noticeable difference. On my car I have just fitted some 288mm DBA T2 slotted rotors so far and found them to have improved the feel of my brakes greatly.

• Like 1

Now this is cracked pads, came off my octy. And the car passed its mot the day before...

IMAG0162.jpg

Car does look great mate.

thanks, its a bit dirty now lol.... but you know me ;) those pads were knackered! are they from your smaller brakes? that line down the middle is exactly where mine had started to go!

Just found your build page today. Nice to see I'm not the only one doing some track work in their Fabia RS estate/wagon/combi. As far as mods go there is not much difference between our cars. I think you should find that just replacing your front brake rotors and pads should make a noticeable difference. On my car I have just fitted some 288mm DBA T2 slotted rotors so far and found them to have improved the feel of my brakes greatly.

yes, the fading overheating brakes were the weak point on the track, cant wait to try out the new pads next year, winter here now though! I like the way and estate on the track catches peoples attention lol..

Edited by sharkrider

Looks like I'm going back to the 312s as the brembos are still not fixed.

I've not seen my car since Oulton park.

thats crap..... 312's with really good pads would work well enough I'm sure....... how bloody long have they had it?! harrass 'em ;)

thats crap..... 312's with really good pads would work well enough I'm sure....... how bloody long have they had it?! harrass 'em ;)

I manage perfectly well with 312's on a car that weights around 1500kg on the road and 1400kg on track.

Don't get any fade either, just stick some DS2500 pads in.

Now that I know another RS estate that is running Eibach pro-kit springs there is one thing that I was wondering. On my car the measurement from the ground the top of the wheel arch is 615mm on the front and 635mm on the rear. Although it doesn't really bother me when driving, It does both me when I look at the car in the car park. In short... I would be really interested to know how yours sits too even if it is on winter tyres? My next track day is most likely going to be in February or March too so looking at trying a few things before then. 

Id be best measuring that with my summer wheels on, my winters are 16's and probably a liitle different RR...

the estate springs are different to the hatch though, bear in mind on the hatch they both lower by 20mm, and on the estate the rear springs are a higher rate and only lower 15mm (the fron still lowers 20mm)

hope this helps ;)

Thanks for checking that. I was already aware of the height difference between the hatch and estate rear springs. Hence why I asked about your heights as I am continplating fitting the hatch rear springs to level out the differences between the front and the rear. I know that the difference in the ride heights between the hatch and estates is most likely to do with the extra load carrying space. But as I am normally running around with two baby seats in the back apart from when I am on the track. I don't see being overload and causing the back to scrape as being a problem. Also since this is a job that I can do at home myself I am not so worried about the costs as the springs themselves are not too expensive.

• Like 1

Thanks for checking that. I was already aware of the height difference between the hatch and estate rear springs. Hence why I asked about your heights as I am continplating fitting the hatch rear springs to level out the differences between the front and the rear. I know that the difference in the ride heights between the hatch and estates is most likely to do with the extra load carrying space. But as I am normally running around with two baby seats in the back apart from when I am on the track. I don't see being overload and causing the back to scrape as being a problem. Also since this is a job that I can do at home myself I am not so worried about the costs as the springs themselves are not too expensive.

will be interesting to see how that works..... next thing for the suspension for me will be bilstien shocks.... a bit expensive, but designed to work with the eibachs, and by all accounts very good..... I also have polybushing in mind.... NOT going down the coilover route though, its low enough to cause problems as it is, i like some suspension travel ;) and by all accounts the eibachs/bilstien combination is excellent :)

• Like 1

You should really like the Eibach/Bilstien combo. A friend did the same to his Octavia RS wagon earlier this year and is very happy with the setup. Looking to do the sway bars/bushes myself before I worry about the shocks just yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well, thought I'd post a running update here as "not another oil thread" may not go down well on the fabia II forums lol....

my last vRS (CAVE) used 1 litre in its first 10k, and nothing after the first service....

this car uses a little more, but I would still count it as perfectly acceptable, so I'm not worried...

it has used 1.5 litres in the first 10k, it got serviced 2,000 miles ago and I have just topped up with 0.5l , so i estimate its average use is about 0.5l every 3,000 miles or so.... I can live with that :) most engines use some oil, octy engines (2.0 fsi/tsi) , VTEC's ect ect , and I dont think this is excessive :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How are the winter tyres running in Sharky?

My Nankangs were revolting to drive on for several hundred miles maybe as much as 300 but have come good not and even in temps above 7 degrees are doing a fine job.  Only critique would be that they seem to have a very hard/harsh sidewall.

Bad news, winter weather is proving a tough test for plastidip, don't know if I have been careless and nicked a couple of the wheels but I have some minor damage on the lip of two alloys, otherwise fine.

most tyres take a few hudred miles, the nagkangs are better the colder it gets ;) funnily enough my winter wheels have been kerbed twice (by learners) and I cant see any damage! so holding up well.... the tyres are good, they are more like rain tyrs in this westher, good in the wet , poorer in the dry, but rhe cold will be comming ;)

• 5 weeks later...

My next present for Phantom is here .... half (need to save up the next 2 months for the other half!) of his road legal track day tyres for the summer ;)

vorc.jpg

E- marked for UK road legality :)

tby6.jpg

Half way there, need to save up for 2 more before April! 

5ld7.jpg

compaired to my old worn out maxxis Z1's :)

nxot.jpg

• Like 3