Wiring in the side light bulbs on a post FL VRS

Hi,

Does anyone know how to make the side lights work on a 2011 post FL VRS. I have had a look and the wires are there and it also looks like the wires go into the headlight loom. Any of the TECH guys know what I need to do?

PS. I do not want to change the function of the DRLs

When you say the wires "are there", where are they?

The sidelight bulb holders have the wires coming out of them. Is this the case on your vRS?

If not then how can you be sure the main loom / connector to the headlight contains a feed for the sidelights?

I'm guessing that the wiring loom for the vRS will be the same as for the non-vRS and the power source that would ordinarily be routed to the back of the W5W sidelight bulbs it instead sent to the back of the LED DRL's with the CANBUS dictating the dimmed function for sidelights and full brightness for DRL's? 

When you say the wires "are there", where are they?

Sorry  i wasn't too clear - There are wire inside the headlight going to the sidelamp bulb. 

If not then how can you be sure the main loom / connector to the headlight contains a feed for the sidelights?

Looking at the plug that plugs into the headlight, there are wires that would connected to the pins on the side light.

I'm guessing that the wiring loom for the vRS will be the same as for the non-vRS

Yes - I would make that assumption too.

and the power source that would ordinarily be routed to the back of the W5W sidelight bulbs it instead sent to the back of the LED DRL's with the CANBUS dictating the dimmed function for sidelights and full brightness for DRL's? 

Hmm - Interesting. My understanding was that they are powered and then to dim they are switched on and off (very quickly I might add) that provides the dimming function on side lights.

I wonder if its just a coding on the ECU that brings them on or will I have to get my soldering iron out !!!

Just out of interest why are you trying to get these working?

I'd much rather have dimmed DRL's only - those tiny little bulbs are really going to add nothing to how you are seen.

Just out of interest why are you trying to get these working?

I'd much rather have dimmed DRL's only - those tiny little bulbs are really going to add nothing to how you are seen.

It's not really about being seen I just like the look of the side light bulbs lit up with smd lights in

Don't bother taking power from the LED DRL's as I know how they are powered at it won't work.

There are 3 wires to each DRL

1. Earth wire into the harness

2. A regulated current controlled power source from the 09 CCM to power the LED's

3. A PWM'd voltage to switch the transisitor unit in the LED DRL to get the LED to dim correctly.

Just loop the power from the headlight bulb to the side light bulb holder inside the headlight, it will only work when the headlights are on but it's nice and easy. Failing that you will have to go back to the CCM with a wire and use a tail light live to power it.

Let us know what you do

Phil

• Like 1

Phil

Do you have access to ElsaWin - have you looked at the wiring diagram by any chance. I don't fancy running a wire to the CCM. I'm not even that sure where it is located and I still don't fancy doing it that much. It look like they may only ever function with the headlights like you suggest.

Phil

Do you have access to ElsaWin - have you looked at the wiring diagram by any chance. I don't fancy running a wire to the CCM. I'm not even that sure where it is located and I still don't fancy doing it that much. It look like they may only ever function with the headlights like you suggest.

Yes I have access to elsawin and as far as I am aware the wiring from the ccm to the sidelight bulbs in the headlights is just physically missing from the harness on vRS models.

I could make them work no problems with out upsetting the "Canbus" systems (also anyone who says that doesn't understand the system as Canbus and the lights have nothing to do with each other)

It's just how much you want to do and your own confidence levels

Yes I have access to elsawin and as far as I am aware the wiring from the ccm to the sidelight bulbs in the headlights is just physically missing from the harness on vRS models.

I could make them work no problems with out upsetting the "Canbus" systems (also anyone who says that doesn't understand the system as Canbus and the lights have nothing to do with each other)

It's just how much you want to do and your own confidence levels

Phil

I would like to make them work, I don't mind doing a bit and I am very competent when it comes to vehicle electrics. As for confidence if I have a bit of a tutorial to follow then yes I would be fairly confident in doing it.

I think that during the day with the side lights on the car would look much better with a pair of cree / smd side lights and the DRL's on at the same time.

Phil

I would like to make them work, I don't mind doing a bit and I am very competent when it comes to vehicle electrics. As for confidence if I have a bit of a tutorial to follow then yes I would be fairly confident in doing it.

I think that during the day with the side lights on the car would look much better with a pair of cree / smd side lights and the DRL's on at the same time.

It is your preference so that's fine.

Heres how you do it (easy way)

You can take the power for the bulb (or cree led) from the power supply to the headlight adjusting motor.

Its wired up like this

Battery ->(through main fuse) Relay -> Fuse 5 in the facia -> headlamp adjusting motor.

Fuse 5 also powers other things but we dont need to worry about this, none of the CCM's monitor this circuit as all it is is a switched power supply.

Heres the evidence, the green line goes to fuse 5, the headlight motor is labelled "V48"

ScreenShot2013-10-06at170844_zpsa548da17

All you need to do is link the black wire (pin 1) to the live of the sidelight wire (grey / black), this could be done inside the headlight and wouldn't need modification of the cars harness. The front side lights would then be on when ever the ignition is on.

IMG_2229_zps518691a1.jpg

Top right pin in this photo

IMG_2230_zps53e85c64.jpg

Good luck, easy job to do, you also don't need to fuse it as it is already fused.

Phil

Forgot to say only do this with a 501 led replacement like Cree, and not normal 5w bulb. Most of the Cree's are 1w at 12v (max) so the current for both of them together is like 0.16 amp which is negligible.

Edited by xpower

It is your preference so that's fine.

Heres how you do it (easy way)

You can take the power for the bulb (or cree led) from the power supply to the headlight adjusting motor.

Its wired up like this

Battery ->(through main fuse) Relay -> Fuse 5 in the facia -> headlamp adjusting motor.

Fuse 5 also powers other things but we dont need to worry about this, none of the CCM's monitor this circuit as all it is is a switched power supply.

Heres the evidence, the green line goes to fuse 5, the headlight motor is labelled "V48"

ScreenShot2013-10-06at170844_zpsa548da17

All you need to do is link the black wire (pin 1) to the live of the sidelight wire (grey / black), this could be done inside the headlight and wouldn't need modification of the cars harness. The front side lights would then be on when ever the ignition is on.

IMG_2229_zps518691a1.jpg

Top right pin in this photo

IMG_2230_zps53e85c64.jpg

Good luck, easy job to do, you also don't need to fuse it as it is already fused.

Phil

Brilliant. I only wish it was not dark outside, this is going to have to wait until one night through the week.

Now where's my soldering iron !!!

Yes. As soon as I start the car the DRL's and my side lights come on. When I switch on my sidelights the DRL's dim as normal.

The 'How To'

Time to complete

1. 30 mins to 1 hour

Tools Required

1. Rag / mat (For headlight removal and to rest the headlight on).

2. Piece of wire approx 20cm.

3. Soldering iron and solder.

4. Multimeter.

5. Heat shrink or insulation tape. 

Headlight Removal

1. Remove plastic nut from rear of headlight.

2. Give a sharp pull on the headlight release lever.

3. Undo connection on the back of the headlight unit and remove the headlight.

Wiring Modification

1. Remove headlight cover.

2. Remove headlight bulb to give easier access.

3. Remove sidelight holder.

4. With a multimeter find the +ve feed to the headlamp adjustment motor (Cut this wire in two). This goes from pin one on the headlamp connector.

5. Cut the black wire going to the side lamp bulb holder.

7. Place a link wire from the headlamp adjustment motor (all three wires connected as in photo and the other end of the link wire gets connected to the black wire on the side light bulb holder)

8. Heat shrink soldered joints or use insulation tape.

9. Rebuild headlight.

10 replace headlight back in car.

Hey presto your sidelights are working.

Admins - I don't have enough space to upload photo's. Please Help. Also please can you pin it as a guide for other ?. Many thanks

• Love it! 1

• 9 years later...
On 06/10/2013 at 13:03, radders567 said:

Phil

Did you get this working? I am looking to do the same thing in mine