How often to replace air filter

ajs_vrs

Get yourself a k&n panel filter pal, 1000000 mile warrenty and you just wash it out and re-use it

Screw that, I remember once seeing a KN panel filter that was so badly blocked that the intake had literately pulled it inwards and bent out of shape inside the casing so that it could draw unfiltered air from around the edges, they must have thought it would last 100,000 miles lol.

Not saying dont use High Performance panel filters,  I use one myself, but I still treat them as disposable parts and change them every 10,000 miles along with the Oil and Oil and Fuel filters, just service yourself and still works out less then £100 using even the very best oils, (Mobil One 5W30 - assuming vRS model) with a Fresh new KN or Pipecrossover filter, as for the fuel filter, if it needs it or not well at less than £15 fuk it why risk it swap it anyway, still cheaper than going to any garage and getting a paper filter, a lower quality of oil and having the fuel filter skipped over all together.

Another tip is book yourself in at halfords (or any other place you may know that offers the same free service) every 10,000 and take advantage of there free Suspension check, always well worth the effort, and stand by them while they do it, gives you chance to have a proper nice look under the car to check for anything else that may appear worn and in need of further investigation, good chance to inspect parts that you may not always get a good chance to see from just lifting the bonnet

And if your ever unsure about anything you see that think maybe worn, not quite right or out of place, then just go to your nearest well respected dealer, preferably a proper skoda dealer, with a fine example of the exact same model on the forecourt, and just help yourself to a good look over the car, hell go ask for the keys and and start it up if its something you want to comparer running, even test drive it its something you want to check out in motion,  just make out like your a potential buyer, then just compare your own to what a healthy version of the car should be like.

Edited by KillerShark1978

Get yourself a k&n panel filter pal, 1000000 mile warrenty and you just wash it out and re-use it

Repeating a companies marketing drivel does not constitute good advice, many users here have reported problems with such filter elements, there is growing evidence that correctly oiled these filters damage the MAF and if not oiled they allow grit through causing turbo damage, they certainly don't increase performance so why bother.

Stick with the standard paper element and change it every year.

Repeating a companies marketing drivel does not constitute good advice, many users here have reported problems with such filter elements, there is growing evidence that correctly oiled these filters damage the MAF and if not oiled they allow grit through causing turbo damage, they certainly don't increase performance so why bother.

Stick with the standard paper element and change it every year.

He asked what other people are doing/using It was merely a suggestion. I've had no such trouble with my filter not saying other people haven't, I'm not suggesting that its good for that amount of milage due to varying conditions eg. if your driving in dusty countrys ect but if maintained properly they should last a fair chunk of time.

I was always under the impression that PD engines didnt like K&N due to the oils that are used to lubricate/clean them and Green Panel filters were the ones to use? 

No matter, i use the paper element from TPS and refresh it every time the car is serviced. 6-8K

• Like 1

I was always under the impression that PD engines didnt like K&N due to the oils that are used to lubricate/clean them and Green Panel filters were the ones to use? 

No matter, i use the paper element from TPS and refresh it every time the car is serviced. 6-8K

I think that Green cotton are the ones which disintegrate and get sucked into the intake.

• Like 1

Personally I've always stuck by;

Oil filter, (+oil), every 6 months depending on mileage and usage

Fuel filter every 12 months

Air filter & pollen filter every 12 months

Guest BigJase88

The green ones certainly don't fit correctly and wont seal the airbox.

I had this!

It actually fell into the bottom of the airbox!

Completely crud!

Also the metal guaze they use too likes to rust :o

Exactly the same for me.

My paper filter got sucked in so it's not just the aftermarket ones, soon switched to a RamAir foam filter, no problems so far.

yjyhadub.jpg

vujenane.jpg

Is this problem due to running more boost or can this happen to a bog standard fabia?

Is this problem due to running more boost or can this happen to a bog standard fabia?

couldn't tell you mate, it's mainly people with hybrid turbos this has happened to mine has just been remapped and it's done it, should think a standard fabia would be ok

I changed mine about 12k ago but i read that its every 40k?

I'll take a look but just wanting to know what other folk do/seen.

Cheers

What u read is correct

Standard panel air filters are due every 40k or 4 years (which ever comes soonest)

That pretty much sums up my servicing routine.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest BigJase88

/\ oil filter every oil change (10k max)

Pollen filter im every 2nd service!

And fuel filter about every 3rd service (not as important)

My paper filter got sucked in so it's not just the aftermarket ones, soon switched to a RamAir foam filter, no problems so far.

yjyhadub.jpg

Jesus! That's shocking lol. Wouldn't have expected the OEM paper filter to fail like that, the turbo must suck in a hell of a lot more air when remapped! Or perhaps the filter got sodden from water somehow and broke down? Either way it's not good!