Extended warranty - recommendations, please

ejstubbs

My Yeti is coming to the end of its Skoda warranty and I'm considering purchasing a extended warranty.  Does anyone have any recommendations for warranty companies?

I asked Warranty Direct for a quote a while back and I thought they were quite expensive.  I just got an online quote from their web site and it's roughly double what they quoted me before!  Apparently that the "best level of cover" and if I ring them up they'll quote me for a lower level of cover.  As far as I can see, though, it's the same level of cover they quoted me for previously - the name is the same, anyway.  And they should offer tailored quotes on their web site; being prohibitively expensive online hardly gives me a good reason for me to pick up the phone to them!

There must be better companies out there, surely?

EDIT: They also list the Elegance CR 140 4x4 twice on their model picker.  Presumably one is the DSG and one is the manual but there is no way of telling.  Not only expensive, but a useless web page!

Edited by ejstubbs

I had formed the impression that the Skoda extended warranty was only available at or soon after time of purchase?  My reading of past threads on this subject suggested that extended warranties purchased through a dealer when the original warranty is about to expire were basically down to what the individual dealer had to sell, and were nothing to do with Skoda UK.  Is that not the case?

EDIT:  Seems that my impression was correct.  From http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/reasons-to-extend-your-cover:

"...an extended warranty is only available on new vehicles at the time of ordering."

And it's £650 for the Yeti now, not £625.

Edited by ejstubbs

I may be being naive but my thinking would be that at least if you buy an extended warranty through your Skoda dealer in the event of some work being necessary you should at least have the dealer on your side and in the worst case of a dispute you've minimised the number of people/companies involved. If you buy an independent warranty you might save a bit of money but if work is required and there is doubt as to whether it is covered by warranty or not you could end up fighting the warranty company on your own.

Perhaps the other question to be asking is that in the event of a claim under warranty do you have to pay for the work first and then claim it back from the company providing the warranty or would the work be done and the dealer make the claim? 

for these reasons I took out Skoda's extra 2 years warranty when I bought my Yeti thinking the £600 wasn't a bad price to pay for two years peace of mind.

If I was on your position I'd be asking for a quote and the fine print of the Skoda deal and only if that didn't meet my requirements or seem sufficiently comprehensive look elsewhere. I do agree with what I think you are suggesting that saving some cash and going for a less comprehensive cover might end up being a false economy. S*d's Law says that what then goes wrong won't be covered.

I had formed the impression that the Skoda extended warranty was only available at or soon after time of purchase?  My reading of past threads on this subject suggested that extended warranties purchased through a dealer when the original warranty is about to expire were basically down to what the individual dealer had to sell, and were nothing to do with Skoda UK.  Is that not the case?

EDIT:  Seems that my impression was correct.  From http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/reasons-to-extend-your-cover:

"...an extended warranty is only available on new vehicles at the time of ordering."

I've offered up posts on here in the past about warranties...and an element of uncertainty abounded then.  I wouldn't agree that the extended warranty is ONLY available at the time of purchase and, in fact, was offered one and sent the documentation - which I still have.  But I would agree that nothing is clear cut and easily understood and the availability and pricing of it is open to confusion between different dealers and SUK itself.  I do have a comprehensive  40 page booklet entitled 'SKODA Approved Extended Warranty and Assistance', along with a KeyFacts leaflet.  It came from :-

Skoda Approved Warranty Services,

Jubilee House,

Mid Point,

Thornbury,

Bradford,

BD3 7AG

Tel. 0844 573 8017

It says it's underwritten by ELVIA Travel Insurance in the Netherlands and is administered by CAR PLAN LTD at the address below.

It includes RAC breakdown cover.  The price went up in June but you would have to contact them to see what is is now.

In addition, one dealer said .... "We can provide the CarPlan / Skoda warranty but we're not sure how much, or whether it includes breakdown, but I believe it may well not  include  breakdown".  And another dealer said ..."We couldn't provide any warranty at all".

So you pick the bones out of that and do your own research to see what you're offered but the term CAR PLAN seems to prevail largely.  They also do manufacturers warranty for lots of major makes (Google it).

Confusing isn't it?

That's why I suggested in other threads that you buy the extra warranty from new.  I didn't and wish I had.

I have no great fondness for Hyundai UK  - BUT - They do offer a 5 yr warranty and they do give 5 yrs comprehensive RAC breakdown with all their new cars. 

Kia offer 7 yrs waranty...but only one year RAC breakdown.

Edited by oldstan

No - your impression is incorrect - I have here in my hand the warranty document and the "Skoda Approved Extended Warranty and Assistance" handbook, that refers to the £625 that I paid my dealer only a few weeks ago.

As I suggested before, contact your dealership and ask about it. I think that you are reviewing the Extended Warranty that is available from new, and not this one which is available to:

"Skoda Vehicles under 6 years / 72000 miles" at a cost of "1 year £425 / 2 Years £625"

It is available to all skoda vehicles prior to the "Manufacturers Warranty expiring but is also available after this time subject to dealer approval.

I have just called "Skoda Approved Warranty Services" to check on the current price, and apparently, they offer this through their dealers and different dealers will quote different "Special Offer" prices. My dealership, Simpsons Skoda [Preston], are offering at the price I have just quoted above.

Additional information for those who may be interested: that the policy  [paraphrasing from the handbook]:

• Is transferable
  • Can be returned for a refund at any time even after the first 30 days[Full refund] for a pro rata refund for whole months remaining subject to a £35 cancellation fee.

Everything carries the Skoda emblem, though the policy is underwritten by a third party. Looks a pretty good deal to me especially taking into account the above two items.

You can access the Website for some information, though it is intended for existing members:

Hope some of you out there find this useful.........

Seems to be some confusion on this thread.

The Skoda extended warranty can only be bought with the car, extending the standard warranty to 4 or 5 years.

That's not the same thing as the original Poster is asking.

His 3 year factory warranty is up and he is looking for an aftermarket warranty to continue cover from unforseen expense.

A Skoda dealer can sell you one of these, which will be underwritten by a warranty company.

Or you can buy one from Car Plan, Warranty Direct etc...

Personally if the cost is not that different I'd get one through the dealer as when you have a problem they can sort out if it's covered or not between themselves rather than having to argue about it.

These aftermarket warranties are good in theory, but they only earn money by trying to say everything isn't covered and not pay out.

So expect to have to argue when you need to make a claim.  You'll usually be successful.

• Like 1

The Skoda extended warranty can only be bought with the car, extending the standard warranty to 4 or 5 years.

His 3 year factory warranty is still up and is looking for an aftermarket warranty to continue cover from unforseen expense.

A Skoda dealer can sell you one of these, which will be underwritten by a warranty company.

Personally if the cost is not that different I'd get one through the dealer as when you have a problem they can sort out if it's covered or not between themselves rather than having to argue about it.

These aftermarket warranties are good in theory, but they only earn money by trying to say everything isn't covered and not pay out.

So expect to have to argue when you need to make a claim.  You'll usually be successful.

I agree there's confusion on this thread.  But, didn't my post and the one after it confirm that you CAN buy a Skoda Approved Warranty at a point AFTER purchase?  I rang the organization I referred to (the same people as Great Yeti refers to)...and they told me that they administer the approved Skoda scheme.  Surely if they say they do that on behalf of Skoda (and they do say that) then that's as close as a Skoda approved scheme as you can get?  I'm very willing to be put right but I have the documentation and Great Yeti has even bought the product...so I'm not sure why is can't be called an extra two year Skoda Approved warranty for £625.  Not trying to prove myself right (and admit to being wrong more often than I'd like) but genuinely can't see why you're saying we can't buy an extra two yr Skoda Approved warranty from their appointed handlers (my word, not theirs).

The SKODA dealer to whom  I spoke, the one who did offer a warranty, the same one who sold me my Yeti, told me the Skoda Approved Warranty WAS via car Plan.  I seem to gather from your post that you're saying you can't buy a Car Plan warranty via a Skoda dealer...

....but, again, I might be wrong.

I'm honestly not having a pop and I respect the integrity of your contributions...so I guess we're at crossed purposes.

Edited by oldstan

His 3 year factory warranty is still up and is looking for an aftermarket warranty to continue cover from unforseen expense.

Thats why I bought it - It's the official Skoda Approved Extended Warranty and marketed by them.

Even though an original warranty has expired. This warranty can still be obtained [only] through a dealership

OK, it seems clear that there is substantial scope for confusion and/or disagreement!  However, I think I now have a better grasp of the situation I am facing.

I'm wondering whether there is a fairly important difference between Skoda's own warranty on the new car, and the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty that you buy later.  My understanding is that under Skoda's own new car warranty, if the dealer quibbles about whether something is covered then you can escalate the dispute to Skoda UK, and (I believe) even to Skoda head office in the Czech Republic.  I would imagine that the extended warranty bought from Skoda at time of order would be the same or very similar (anyone know?)

In the case of the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty, I have a suspicion that Skoda themselves would not get involved in any such dispute: that would be between you and the third-party warranty company to sort out.  You might be able to get Skoda involved for an assessment of the technical problem, but would they be able to exert any influence on the third party warranty provider to stump up for the repair?

In any case, thanks for all the information folks have provided up to now, and I shall definitely ask my dealer what they can offer in the way of extended warranty when I take my car in for a service on Friday.

(And I'm still bemused that Warranty Direct seem to have doubled their price from six months ago!)

I tried to get to the bottom of this by chatting to dealer and they could not provide any detail but in essence the above recent postings are correct as far I can tell from talking to Skoda UK.

They said they were going to introduce an after purchase 'Official' Skoda warranty to supercede

the Car Plan (Skoda Approved) version but it hasn't happened yet as far as I can tell.

Dealer couldn't provide any info on the Car Plan product...Surely the dealers should keep a brochure

if they sell it.

Edited by kibby

I tried to get to the bottom of this by chatting to dealer and they could not provide any detail but in essence the above recent postings are correct as far I can tell from talking to Skoda UK.

They said they were going to introduce an after purchase 'Official' Skoda warranty to supercede

the Car Plan (Skoda Approved) version but it hasn't happened yet as far as I can tell.

Dealer couldn't provide any info on the Car Plan product...Surely the dealers should keep a brochure

if they sell it.

It's quite intriquing, isn't it?  Are we though at least right in saying a Skoda Approved Warranty isn't restricted to new purchases?

What has Lee at Preston to add?  Would be interested to know as he must be in touch with these things.....am I right in remembering his speaking about it last time it cropped up? (and there being equal measures of uncertainty at the time?)  And also whether Boss Fox wants to add anything that might have been missed, overlooked or misunderstood? especially as there did seem to be a degree of polarity in the views offered by contributors.?

I'll look on with interest as I have about 6 months to go until I'll be considering one.

I need to take out some form of extended warranty on my Octavia II when the manufacturer's warranty expires in December. I have been quoted £499 by a Skoda dealer for 2 years cover under the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty without breakdown assistance and £599 with.

Links to the original new car and Approved Extended warranties - the latter link thanks to Great Yeti above - are below if anyone is interested in comparing the cover offered by both.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

https://skoda-approvedextendedwarranty-invited.motor-admin.com/documents/skoda/policy-document.pdf

NB: In the Approved Warranty booklet I was given by a dealer the total amount payable on each vehicle warranty claim is limited to the purchase price of the vehicle including VAT for each claim up to the aggregate purchase price of the vehicle. However in the (presumably) later version in the link above the total amount payable on each vehicle warranty claim is limited to £1,000 excluding VAT, up to the aggregate purchase price of the vehicle. I am shocked by how inadequate that later claim limit is and there is now no point my buying that warranty as insurance against timing chain failure.

See my Post #36 below.  Car Care Plan have confirmed that the £1000 figure is wrong.

I agree there's confusion on this thread.  But, didn't my post and the one after it confirm that you CAN buy a Skoda Approved Warranty at a point AFTER purchase?

Yes, clear as day.  It's the ONLY way you can buy one. :)

But as I said only the one from the factory is a Skoda warranty.  Either 3, 4 or 5 years.

Buying one later, as I said, is underwritten by someone else.  Even if it's "Skoda Approved".

So it's not the same.

My post was not in direct response to your post, which is why I didn't quote it.

It was more to point out to everyone that a Skoda Factory warranty and a Skoda Approved warranty are not the same.

ie: post number 13 after mine...

It's quite intriquing, isn't it?  Are we though at least right in saying a Skoda Approved Warranty isn't restricted to new purchases?

Clearly, it's not still 100% easy to understand because a Skoda Approved Warranty CAN'T be got on new purchases as this sentance suggests!

With a Factory Warranty the car has a problem and they fix it. Simple.  Unless you've done something daft.

With an Approved Warranty it's like a regular aftermarket warranty in that if there is an angle they can use about wear and tear to avoid paying they will try to.

Skoda Approved Warranty is not the same (or as good) as the Skoda Factory Warranty on new cars, which can be extended to 5 years.

Correct as I understand it.

Amazing that Dealers and Skoda UK cannot make it clearer by having the information available

at the point of sale. My dealer didn't and was very vague on what it covered and what it cost/included,

with no mention of Car Plan or Breakdown Cover.

Edited by kibby

Why my Superb 4x4 170 turned 3 in May this year, i rang Skoda Uk who were useless. 

I went to see Skoda Dealer - he issued me with a "Skoda" Warranty (underwritten by CarCarePlan) - for two years at a cost of £396.00

The documentation that accompanies this warranty, is Skoda. i.e. everything has Skoda written on, in Skoda envelopes etc but is does say Underwritten by CarCarePlan. 

CarCArePlan were the underwriters for Kia, back when Kia had a 3 year warranty - i took out the same extended warranty, and claimed for a GearBox and  Steering Rack for my Sorento (56' plate) - irk £4k. - They paid up with no problems. - So this time, i had no issues going back to the same company. 

Al. 

Edited by ukcruiser

Or you could put your £625/£650 into a "rainy day" savings fund. Then if the worst did happen and you did need a major mechanical repair, put that towards the cost at the time.  If, after the expiry of your two year period there has been no cause to use it, you still have your money.  Depends how "risk averse" you are I suppose?

For those familiar with the fine print of the cover provided by after-market suppliers such as Car Plan or Warranty Direct, are items such as the diesel catalyst and/or DPF covered?  Or are those considered consumables like brake disks or exhaust, and therefore outside the scope of the warranty?  How about the turbo? How much of the body electrics would be covered or excluded, such as window regulators, etc.?

Last time I checked myself with Warranty Direct, albeit at least 3-years ago now, in respect of a Renault Scenic that was between 4 and 5 years old at the time, none of the items that were at all likely to fail were covered. In practice the engine block and gearbox were just about the only items included, and even some of those were doubtful if they could establish you may have over extended oil change intervals (whatever those are defined as?) at any time during the car's life.  Highly likely items such as window regulators (up to £250 per door on the Renault), dashboard display unit (£100 to £400 depending on dealer you took it to), or electronic parking brake system (£650), were definitely not covered. Neither were items like driveshafts or steering rack on a vehicle of its age and mileage.  So I opted to decline the chance to pay Quentin Wilson's endorsement fees and continued to utilise my own insurance on the major items, which consisted of oil changes every 9000 miles using Mobil 1 ESP, as had been its regime since new.  The diesel Scenic was running like a train when I sold it on 144,000 miles, and I understand it still is. It might need a DPF removal soon, but that wasn't covered by any after-market warranty anyway. 

So am I being over-optimistic with my Yeti? You'll gather that on my 2010, 80-odd thousand mile CR 110 manual, I'm taking the self-insure route. But it did have a new cam belt, water pump, clutch and DMF installed by the supplying independent dealer, as part of the purchase deal in April 2013.  It's on 9000 mile oil changes too (Castrol EDGE FST 0w-30) to keep the turbo bearings happy. No DSG, so that's not to worry about. 2WD so no Haldex either.  

Edited by FlintstoneR1
  • Like 1

I will add my 2p's worth on this, but it echoes Richards post above.

Skoda Extended Warranty - can be added to extend to either a 4th year/80,000 miles or 5th year/100,000 miles. This is added as an option upon ordering, however this can be added prior to the vehicle being registered. IIRC a member here did have the Manufacturers Warranty extended AFTER registering the vehicle, but I believe it was only a few days or so. This warranty will cover everything as per the standard 3 year warranty.

Skoda Approved Warranty - can be added to any vehicle up to 10 years or 100,000 miles. Prior to the registering of the warranty the vehicle does have to be inspected, whether this be at service time or at any point. The warranty can be bought with/out roadside assistance. It is underwritten by Car Care Plan but all claims will be dealt with by Skoda.

• Like 1

Preston....Any rear life experience of the Car Care PLan warranty....do they riggle out of claims and

do you have to pay for the fault diagnostics part of any repair claim?

Great Yeti ....When I checked direct with Car Care Plan the warranty could be bought over the phone but

not sure if this mean't it was another version and not their 'Skoda Approved' version as didn't ask that question.

Complicated isn't it?

Didn't buy it as not able to get a warm feeling on what you got for your money but may just regret it as just gone into 'limp mode' 1 month out of warranty.

How likely are Skoda going to consider a goodwill gesture if it turns out to be the 'ignition lead issue'

or similar for an 'engine misfire cylinder 1'.?

Edited by kibby

I'm not sure how much info a salesman could give you on a public forum.

We had an approved Ford warranty on a Galaxy the same as the Skoda one when the wipers seized at 5 years old and 32,000 miles.

Cap Plan said it was "fair wear and tear".  The linkage had siezed solid.

As usual, after an argument they agreed to pay.  it was about £600, more than the warranty cost for two years.... no wonder they do wriggle on occassion, no different to insurance companies IMO as that's what they are.

Kibby, the warranty side of things is definitely not my area. It is stated that 'Diagnostic time of any type' is not covered, BUT unless something is actually hanging off surely it would need to be diagnosed?? Surely if it's a quick plug in and find out 2 minute job no one in their right mind would charge for that, would they?  :wonder:

Oh, the grey area of warranties  :sweat:

Kibby, the warranty side of things is definitely not my area. It is stated that 'Diagnostic time of any type' is not covered, BUT unless something is actually hanging off surely it would need to be diagnosed?? Surely if it's a quick plug in and find out 2 minute job no one in their right mind would charge for that, would they?  :wonder:

Oh, the grey area of warranties  :sweat:

You usually have to pay for the diagnostic plug in charge on aftermarket warranites.

It's how they stop you popping in every 5 minutes to have things checked on the car at their expense.

Skoda Approved Warranty ... is underwritten by Car Care Plan but all claims will be dealt with by Skoda.

So if you buy a Skoda Approved Warranty, you only ever deal with Skoda (presumably Skoda UK) and not the underwriter?  If so, that's interesting.  How does the claim process work?

You usually have to pay for the diagnostic plug in charge on aftermarket warranites.

It's how they stop you popping in every 5 minutes to have things checked on the car at their expense.

Fully accept that Richard or everyone would have a queue of customers day in day out having plug and play sessions  :)

• Like 1