Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

Rooted

I have bumped the Plug thread, but i have not used those plugs, so can not comment on gaps.

REVO Map beware as far as i am concerned, so please let us know what the plugs look like

& what REVO tell you to set the gap at.

Best check with them.

Any tips/pics on how to DIY this? I took a look in there yesterday and the coils seem pretty rock solid, wouldn't move a bit. I understand you have to take out the "fuse" first and then lift the coil up? But the connector looks really tight.

Edited by newbie69

They are real tight and you need the tool to get the pull you require, but what i use does the job easily enough 

but care needs taking.

Long Reach Plug Spanner,  Length of Rubber Pipe helps.

Lots of care with plug threads and not cross threading putting in the new ones.

Plug to the far left as you look in take care.

Not saying Driver Side because cars come in Right & Left hand drive.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/309606-misfire-after-cold

But the tool, either bought or hand-made, comes after the power connector has been disconnected from the coil right? And the connector seems pretty much impossible to go anywhere. Do I have to press on some side?

Also, for Cylinder 1, there are some hoses on top of it kind of blocking the access. Do these have to be disconnected first or you can safely push them aside without disconnecting them? My coil plug removal tool should arrive by next week.

I don't recall disconnecting anything when we did my plugs, but I wasn't running the show by any means, I do remember there were a tonne of clips to release before everything was able to be moved around freely.

Yes you need to remove the pipe to get to the left Cylinder, but it is all straightforward,

but because it seems a hassle. that why you need to be sure all 4 plugs have been done, some check the 2 quick and easy plugs and not all 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had all new coils packs and plugs replaced and all fault codes cleared and the car is running spot on . The Guys at Votex said they have to change loads of coil packs not just on skoda but Vw, Seat and Audi .

• Like 2

Just had all new coils packs and plugs replaced and all fault codes cleared and the car is running spot on . <snip>

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost, what plugs were fitted and what made you choose to have the work done?

<snip> The Guys at Votex said they have to change loads of coil packs not just on Skoda but VW, Seat and Audi .

Did Votex offer any suggestions as to why this might be the case, do the coil packs "go off" over time or are they fundamentally faulty?

They said when remapped it puts the coil packs under more load especially when under hard acceleration( when in auto mode and it drops down a couple of gears) where any defects will be found causing missfire errors and sometimes going into limp mode . Mine was showing misfire errors on cylinder 2 and 3 but when stopped and restarted ran ok plugs I used NGK BKR8EIX but had had the 7's in previously cost about £30 but make sure you get genuine ones the same with coil packs cheaper ones are available but beware mine cost £30 each and he charged £30 for fitting and resetting all the fault codes . Excellent service and knowledge from VOTEX congleton. Car just gone back into skoda for heated seat issue seat coming on without being switched on turns out is was a recall and element is shorted out and burnt through safety issue. So needs new foam and seat cover waiting for replacement to arrive just a thought to those who have the heated seat option on theirs.

• Like 1

Yes get genuine plugs from a trusted supplier,

as in, not some of the rubbish that might be sold on Ebay and may not the real McCoy.,

But also maybe get better than the OEM plugs that Skoda, VW, Seat,fit at the Engine Factory.

Check out what plugs and coils they fit to the Audi A1 185 ps 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

They said when remapped it puts the coil packs under more load especially when under hard acceleration (when in auto mode and it drops down a couple of gears) where any defects will be found causing missfire errors and sometimes going into limp mode . Mine was showing misfire errors on cylinder 2 and 3 but when stopped and restarted ran OK.

<SNIP>.

Thanks for a most comprehensive reply

A couple of further questions if I may?

1. I take it then that your car has been remapped - i.e. is not "standard"?
  2. Total cost was about £180 for four plugs and coil packs supplied and fitted then?
  3. How did you detect the misfire on cylinders 2 & 3, was this as a result of stored ECU error codes?

Again, many thanks for the reply :)

Thanks for a most comprehensive reply

A couple of further questions if I may?

1. I take it then that your car has been remapped - i.e. is not "standard"?
  2. Total cost was about £180 for four plugs and coil packs supplied and fitted then?
  3. How did you detect the misfire on cylinders 2 & 3, was this as a result of stored ECU error codes?

Again, many thanks for the reply :)

Lots of detailed questions about the Fabia vRS.MK2

BUT YOU HAVE NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION TO YOU.

WHAT CAR DO YOU DRIVE????

Lots of detailed questions about the Fabia vRS.MK2

BUT YOU HAVE NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION TO YOU.

WHAT CAR DO YOU DRIVE????

I am puzzled, why is it so incredibly important to you?

I have written on a number of occasions that I am researching the Fabia vRS while looking for a new car; to be honest, what I drive now is neither here nor there.

I have written on a number of occasions that I am researching the Fabia vRS while looking for a new car; to be honest, what I drive now is neither here nor there.

Tells me the base you are starting from, that's all.

Interesting comparisons etc.

I have seen your name pop up in a few threads on this forum. Most of your post are unhelpful and seem to be 'digs' at the VRS. That or really lame trolling.

Anyway hurry up and decide if you are to buy one or not so you can either;

Provide decent contributions to the forum community;

Or leave and go annoy a different forum.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

agweir : being a company vehical, are you able to put the "recommended" 98 RON fuel in? or is a fuel card, that requires you to use 95 RON fuel?

Apart from a half tank of standard 95 as a one off measure, It has always been run on 97, 98 or 99 unleaded and continues to be.  I'm now on 45,000 miles with a trip to Ireland planned in the next month.  Very concerned it will go again whilst I'm over there and need a 3rd replacement engine as it's getting toward the plug mileage where it failed before, and it currently occasionally misfires (but no warning light) within the first 30 seconds or so of starting up.

Welcome to the forum,

thanks for sharing your experience with the Twincharger.

Could you please add your car to the New Engine thread.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-had-an-engine-replaced

Sorry for the 4 month delay.  I have added now!

• Like 1