Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

Rooted

A member in Australia said i think that he uses VK20.    I do not, i use these.

put some in this Morning. Bought at my local Factor not ECP.   Best check which they have available.

The third photo, of the single plug seems to be a very different colour from the others, is this down to the use of flash or something?

Did you remove the plugs as part of a routine service (34k miles) or because of a perceived problem?

Can someone in the know please clarify in layman's terms this issue of spark plugs which seem to be this month's hot topic?

What is wrong with the standard plugs?

Why do they fail?

How do you know that they are failing and need replacement?

What is the difference between the NGK BKR7EIX and BKR8EIX plugs and which should one choose as a replacement?

My car has done just over 14,000 miles and seems fine.I always drive in "D", stick to speed limits and don't thrash the car. - even after it has warmed up.

I am getting increasingly worried / depressed about my vRS, by all accounts it should be drinking oil, the gearbox should be on the way out and the plugs should be falling apart.

So far as I know none of this applies - yet!

ps - I lack the tools (and confidence) to remove the plugs for inspection and wouldn't know what to look for anyhow.

Could you please confirm because i seem to remember previous posts where you said the Dealership did a ECU Update on your CTHE.

Did they?

If they did, did they not check all 4 spark plugs.?

Stick with the OEM Plugs, and do not risk your warranty,

on such a new car, have a Competent Master TEchnician Diagnose any Issues with your car,

do not do DIY, or let others touch your car.

Just in my opinion.

If the car is all good,

drives as it should,

does not use oil, (more than the useage of the car would, taking the type of engine & oil capacity,

*only 1390 cc / 180 ps.minimum output taking 3.6 litres according to VW*

does not Mis-fire or run rough then surely that is what you bought and expected.

Sounds all good, and it is a CTHE, so no Track Days or Drag Days to cause any issues or potential issues,

and you have a Manufacturers Warranty.

Dealership Servicing and Service Campaign Updates done as per Service Schedule / Guidelines you are covered.

The Spark Plugs are said by VW / Skoda to be good for 40,000 miles,

if not best ask them why, and have them pay to replace all 4, never just a single plug in these engines.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I believe I have had two ECU updates, one when the gearbox oil was changed and another in connection with the "control system for exhaust" light coming on - see HERE.

I don't know whether or not they checked the plugs, I didn't think to ask.

So far as I can tell, all is good with the car, I just get worried when I read all the tales of woe here concerning different components.

However, your post is reassuring - thanks.

The reason i asked on the ECU update for the Engine Management.  (i know about the DSG Update)

Other CTHE Owners of cars from 2012- 2014 have been told there is no ECU Update for the vehicle.

Sorry, but just to go back over the old stuff, boring i know.

You said you thought Tesco Momentum caused you problems,

but that 97 RON Petrol was OK. 

That seems very odd, to me at least.

?

Where do you buy Petrol if it is not Tesco Momentum 99, or Shell Nitro 99 ?

Your car should be all good,

but the Warning Lights and a Dealership doing a ECU Update means something was up at some point, 

or they were just doing a Diagnosis with the VAS.

*Clearing the Fault Codes if any had logged.*

and they should have checked all 4 Spark Plugs, the GAP, the Condition, and probably for the little the Plugs cost Trade Price, changed them.

So was there any mention or action taken on a loose ECU Plug,  Or at the Exhaust Control System / Connection or faulty sensor or just everything OK from then on?

Edited by goneoffSKi

To answer your points in turn:

As I recall, my comment on 99 RON was that on each occasion that the light came on my previous refill had been with 99 rather than my usual 97 RON and I wondered whether the ECU had got confused by the change.

As it happens I most often fill up at a local Tesco Metro - with Esso 97 RON. I only ever use 97 RON.

When I most recently had the "control system for exhaust" light come on I called out Skoda Recovery after the dealer failed to return my call.

The guy who checked my car was definitely a Skoda enthusiast - he owns an Octavia vRS.

Using the diagnostic laptop he demonstrated quite convincingly that there was a problem with one of the inlet pressure sensors (G31).

There are two sensors and I think that it was the one on the left as you look into the engine bay that gave a lower reading.

He said that either the sensor or the cabling had an intermittent fault.

He left everything as it was in the ECU log so that the garage would be able to see it.

A day or two after he checked my car the light went out and it hasn't been on since.

The dealer who recently serviced my car found no problem and couldn't see anything in the log.

I find this to be odd but maybe the code was only visible while the warning light was on?

• Like 1

That is good, because that should be all recorded on the Skoda Database,

and there for future reference if there was any issues ever.

Maybe just ask next time what was done other than Running the Diagnosis in the Workshop,

like was there a Update done of the ECU.?

Which Service was being done this time, Annual / 9,400 mile Fixed, or are you on Variable?

The car should have had the Diagnostics Plugged in again at which ever Service and anything should have shown,

other than Misfires which really are unlikely to occur enough in a Cycle unless you are really going hard under load,

even then they hardly ever do.

Have fun with it, all sounds good.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Thanks for that.

I will try in future to get to speak to someone who actually worked on the car rather than just the service receptionist.

I am making a point of using official Skoda dealers for warranty reasons and because the engine / gearbox is particularly complex.

For many years past, with other cars, I have used a local independent garage where they actually seem much more experienced, knowledgeable and always willing to discuss at length what they are going to do, what they have done and why.

I used to drive Toyotas and gave up using main dealers because there seemed to be too many Chiefs in suits and not enough Indians in overalls. In fact, what Indians there were struck me as probably being apprentices.

ps - I absolutely adore the car.

• Like 2

Fitted some denso vk20 plugs today after I had a missfire on cylinder 3 at the time I had bluespark tuning box fitted. With it removed I didn't have a missfire. So after changing the plugs and reinstalling the tuning box it has been running fine for 70milE but had another missfire cylinder 3. Without the box fitted it's fine. Does this sound like it's the ignition coil on cylinder 3 needs changing.. That's what I'm going to try now. Just to note when I removed the plugs vw never changed the plug on.cylinder 1 last time I had a.service just changed the other 3. Cylinder 1 was the original ngk plug and the other 3 had vw audi stamped on them. needless to say I have put a complaint in

Re #140

3 spark plugs changed and 1 not,  or not matching

The OEM Plugs are the ones usually that have 'NGK VW AG'  on them.

Yeah George. 3 of the plugs were bosch and the one on cylinder 1 was the ngk. So when they changed them last time only change 3 and not the awkward one.

Update I swapped cylinder 3 ignition coil with number 2 to see if it was the number 3 one at fault. With tuning box fitted this time it has come up with missfire cylinder 1 and 3 and multiple missfire codes and a c1555 error? Without the tuning box there is no missfire. Anyone anything to add. Is it the box or do.I need to change all the coils

The most obvious thing is the Tuning box showed up issues or caused them, it certainly does not help things.

So what are we talking,

Original TMC, Cheap South American set TMC or Bluespark. ?

If you had a Spark Plug failing you might have a coil failing,

and you hope the valves / cylinder / rings are all OK in that Cylinder.

I would forget fitting the Tuning Box again,

there is an issue somewhere.

Tuning Boxes can be even more of a lottery than remapping. a £4,000 gamble.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

It's the bluespark Box that I have. Plugs all changed yesterday. Without the box there are no issues. Car seems to be running fine . With it fitted it seems when temperature gets up then it's missfires. I wasn't sure if to change all the ignition coils and see if it does it still then. The box is removed now and all is good.

Best take it out, get it up to temperature, at least 10 miles covered first,

find some hills so that you can put the engine underload, and give it some lardy below 3,500 rpm where you are on Super & Turbo and if you get no warning lights, Exhaust Emission or EPC or Both, then you are probably not suffering a misfire / misfires.

Or if enough misfire occur in a cycle you will get a Code logged.

Hi cheers George did that before. Definite missfire with the box fitted and codes were logged. Now I don't have the box on car is running fine. No missfires atall. I wonder if the box is nackered. As you say there is an issue somewhere when it's fitted just not sure what.