Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

Rooted

just for information, my car did get a map, cant remember at which service (maybe 20k) , but there was a map to cure "cold misfire" I suppose if this wasn't done (like someone independently servicing their car, or using a non skoda garage) it could keep misfiring until the plugs died...I concur with George that there were substandard or incorrect plugs used in some cave engines, i dont have the details....

if its serviced by skoda, they should plug it into the online systems that will check the map, and automatically update it to the correct map (I've watched them plug mine in at service)

Lookers Manchester serviced mine prior to sale to me albeit it had only been serviced a few thousand miles earlier by Dennis Horton's.

I've always suspected this was to check the map and oil fixes. SUK have no issue of warranty work requested for oil breather etc on my car but I don't know if these would log if a dealer did them as a preemptive strike.

It just makes me look OCD in the service book :)

I can vouch for the coil pack removal tool, very helpful. Money well spent.

As for the spark plugs, I've tried the BKR7EX ones and the same for the 6's. 6's are in at the moment and haven't noticed any difference really. If anything, got slightly better MPG with the 7's (on a stock car, no map yet).

I've always suffered from rough idle from a cold start, where it takes 30s to a minute for the engine to get from just over 1000rpm to idle speed at about 800. New plugs didn't seem to help. If/when I get the car mapped, I'll go back to the 7's. Although I've changed mine at random times, I'll be changing every 10,000 miles maximum really, especially if we have long cold winters. Try and keep the short journeys to a minimum!

Just to repeat one of my previous situations it in a more apt thread:

My 2010 twincharger Scirocco was amongst many which, as soon as they hit the 37k Major service started failing.  Most got crate replacement engines (not mine).  Problem was traced to the VWUK computer spitting out the wrong part number for the spark plugs (I think it was 1.2TSI plugs).  Result - overheating within miles (never got over 1000 miles from a new set of plugs - sometimes 50).  In extreme cases, plug disintegrates and trashed the bore.  Pot luck if you got a repair or a new engine.  At the time, only a handful of us had reached the "40k" service interval and most ended up with a new engine.  I ended up with most of a new one..  Also happened to a guy who bought an Approved used car with 20k on the clock which they'd kindly done the 40k service to as part of the deal.  He got 300 miles before needing a new engine.

New engine cured it as it would have factory fresh plugs in it - not the incorrect ones called off by the VWUK spares/servicing system.  IIRC there were at least 3 plugs for twinchargers at one point (180PS versions having a different one, IIRC, 160PS Scirocco and all other VW cars using the 160PS twincharger).

VWUK system was updated when the root cause was identified (I believe on my car).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bump,  Plugs might well need checked before 40,000 miles, even before 30,000 miles or your Warranty Expires.  

Just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my own experiences to the topic:

New VRS arrives July 2012

Misfire & Plug failure at 17k under medium acceleration - new engine installed by dealership in Warwickshire

Misfire & Plug failure at 33k under hard acceleration - new engine installed by dealership in Norfolk

Current Mileage - 39k.   Majority of driving at high motorway speeds plus regular blasts on country roads (warm engine only!) and time always given to cool down afterwards before switching engine off.

It's frustrating as the car is a lex autolease company vehicle so I can't fit a stronger sparkplug to solve the problem or I'm not following the manufacturer service schedules blah blah.  I have to stick with the VAG standard issue which is likely to fail again.  The second failure even happened 3000 miles after a service where I asked for the condition of the plugs to be checked and was told that they were "ok".

The lease on this car is for 4 years or 80k miles (whichever sooner) but repairs after the Skoda warranty ends are payable by my employers.  If the pattern continues, I don't think they will be too  happy to receive 1 or 2 bills for engine replacements at c.£4000 a time (plus replacement car costs for 3 -4 weeks and slight loss in my productivity from the associated hassle) if it happens outside of warranty!

Also, If anyone happens to know anything about ending a lex company car lease agreement early (and the likely penalties) which are sure to be cheaper than playing spark plug roulette when the warranty expires, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Cheers.

I will be renewing the spark plugs at 20k miles,based on what's known this would seem the right approach.

....but I will add that at the moment (13k miles) I have never experienced any rough running or misfiring hot or cold.

Edited by XK140
  • Like 2

This morning,

I was asked by someone i hardly know if i could try their Polo GTI,  2 years old, 17,000 miles,  they thought it was being effected by damp.

They run it on 95 ron Shell Fuel Saver, and drive it like any other car.

Had it into the VW Dealership for 2 services and diagnostic and they were told they run a little rough on warm up.

So i did try it, and it was unreal what it ran like, EPC light & Engine Emission light coming on.

I just went for taking out the one spark plug that causes the problem and there was no electrode left on it.

So i put in one used plug until they get the car into VW on Monday.

They had no idea on an issues with the car other than thinking it was getting damp,

it is not an oil user.

Beware.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?266474-2012-Polo-GTI-1-4-TSI-PROBLEMS

• Like 1

My last one had spark plug failure at 9,500 miles.  So it's change at 10,000 miles for me.

Tony

40k change according to Skoda,I'm on 13k and intended to change at 20k.

Now you say 10k,where is this going to end?

It seems to me Skoda have just as many questions to answer on spark plug life as they have on oil consumption.

I would hope on 98 or 99 ron and good oil and giving it welly regularly, the plugs are good for at least 20,000 miles, 

certainly some have seen 35,000 miles.

Or are reported to have.

Its going to be down to how people know they have used the car.

Buy a used car,

& thats possibly a car thats followed Skoda Schedule servicing, or you do not know how used or on what fuel 

and people maybe best have them looked at, and maybe as well to get the new plugs in.

george

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if what the gap the NGK BKR8EIX should be I have just ordered some and what they are supplied with. For a revo stage 1 upgrade and full Miltek . Car is 2011 cave 15,000 mls with misfire issues under hard acceleration fault lights on and limp mode but all reset after turning off and on again. Any help please

Does anybody know if what the gap the NGK BKR8EIX should be I have just ordered some and what they are supplied with. For a revo stage 1 upgrade and full Miltek . Car is 2011 cave 15,000 mls with misfire issues under hard acceleration fault lights on and limp mode but all reset after turning off and on again. Any help please

Sorry, but that sounds like a bad bad recipe my friend.  Misfiring car plus Revo map just sounds like a repair bill waiting to happen.  I urge you to take a look at other forum member experiences with problematic cars getting a revo put on.

I cannot see it being a good idea to map a sickly car.

I have NGK BKR7EIX on my APR Stage 1 car.

• Like 1