Monte Tech - Steering Creak

Afternoon Folks

Quick question regarding my steering. Had my Monte for 3 months now, bang on little car. However, over the last week its developed a creaking/rubbing noise coming from behind the steering wheel when turning the wheel clockwise. Doesnt do it the other way.

Very odd sound that Ive never heard on a car before. It sounds no more than a foot away from the steering wheel into the dash. Its not a heavy mechanical sound. I thought it might be the gator rubbing but cant see it to check.

Anyone else experienced this?

Any help is appreciated before I take it back to the dealer.

Cheers, CW

• Like 1

Mine sometimes does the same, a light creaking sound. The car is getting on for three years old and it started maybe six months ago. Haven't worried about it though as I cannot feel any unusual resistance to the wheel, just this intermittent creak.

Afternoon Folks

Quick question regarding my steering. Had my Monte for 3 months now, bang on little car. However, over the last week its developed a creaking/rubbing noise coming from behind the steering wheel when turning the wheel clockwise. Doesnt do it the other way.

Very odd sound that Ive never heard on a car before. It sounds no more than a foot away from the steering wheel into the dash. Its not a heavy mechanical sound. I thought it might be the gator rubbing but cant see it to check.

Anyone else experienced this?

Any help is appreciated before I take it back to the dealer.

Cheers, CW

Mine does the exact same thing (Monte, not Monte Tech), thought it was a one off so never mentioned it because it didn't sound like it was anything to worry about, just annoying!

It sounds like rubber/plastic rubbing or touching but for it to do the exact same thing it's maybe a bit more than coincidence. Mine only does it on clockwise turning, more the closer you get to full lock. 

Does yours pull left at all, maybe this is a 'feature' of the cars that pull left, wonder what it could be?

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys

Thought Id bring this up as its turned out to be a serious (ish) issue. Had the Monte in for its first service last week and pointed this out to the technician. He said it was the inner steering rack joints that had worn due to the fact that Skoda forgot to grease them at the factory. Had them replaced and its stopped. Parts £480 and 3.5 hours labour but done under warranty. There was a bloke with a Monte on French plates having the same thing done too.

Not really impressed with this as the guy said a lot had done it. Mrs Chumley Warner wouldnt have noticed this and itd probably gone unnoticed until after the warranty expired. To be fair, youd get it done outside if its a problem from the start. Fitness for purpose, etc.

Just thought a heads up would be good as Ive spoken to a few people whove noticed it but not been bothered to get it looked at.

As an aside, Hortons Skoda in Lincoln have been bang on with the car, etc. And the 60th Anniversary day last weekend was a right laugh. Even got a Skoda water bottle for nowt :thumbup:

Cheers, CW

• Like 3

Just had my 13 plate montecarlo in for first service creaking from steering when turning right. They are going to fit new steering drumsticks this is the inside steering joints.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know of a TPI number for this?

Our 63 plate estate did this a lot when new, but not noticed it a lot of late, though it always seemed to vary with weather and only when slow speed manoeuvering.

As my dealer is a "never heard of that before" merchant, I'm reluctant to go in without some hard evidence. Plus, if I ask them to check could I be hit with the new £50 charge for warranty checks that I read about in another thread?

I read about this on here yesterday. My car has started doing this at 8000 miles, so I popped in to Progress Skoda at Letchworth, car is booked in for next Tuesday. There is a TPI on it but I don't know the number.

I had the same issue happen on my 14 plate Monte Carlo, when it has about 3000 miles on the clock. I took it to the dealership where they changed the arms on mine and re-did the tracking on warrenty with no arguements, really good customer service at DM Keith (Huddersfield). :)

• Like 1

My 63 plate Roomie does it. Got 8k on clock so will mention it at first variable service. Trouble is I do no like engineers messing about with steering geometry, etc.

Edited by edbostan

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken mine in and they said steering rods I think it was....? Had gone and a few other things to do with the steering, I took it to one dealership who tried telling me that it was because I'd had my car lowered (aftermarket springs but by skoda dealer) and they wouldn't look at it. Took it to another dealer and they said it's a known fault so doing it under warranty and having it four wheel aligned, it's ridiculous really that the other dealership wouldn't even look at the car. Thanks for the tips on here tho, glad I took it in.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive noticed the same sound from my Monte so its back to the deaership tomorrow.

Just stumbled on this forum and im dead happy that i did.

Thanks for the heads up lads

Freck

• Like 1

Mine is going in on 15 June for 2nd service and it's on their 'investigate' (and deny) list. Other than that she is running perfect and has done from day 1, I was due some good luck with my car!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The car was in today and what a farse it was! They 'forgot' to come and collect from my work, then said it was going to have to get done another day, I told them that's fine but they could collect it from my house and put petrol on it for the journey. They were round for it within 10minute. Then when they delivered it back the poor driver was told he was collecting a courtesy car, which I didn't have, and that left him stranded as I couldn't leave work. On the plus side the car had been washed, waxed, tyres dressed, hoovered and dusted.

Back on topic, I told them about my steering creak and that I knew it was a known issue and I knew what the fix was. They checked the noise and straight away confirmed the problem, the fix and the warranty claim. I just have to book it in for the track rod ends to be replaced.

Overall I am pleased with the service given today by AC Inverness, despite the mix up it was rectified quickly and didn't put me out at all. Will report back on the quality of work after they make the repairs.

How is everyone else getting on?

Son is taking his Fabia in today with the rubbing noise behind the wheel. Only does it when performing low speed turns etc, will update when skoda has diagnosed.

Update, skoda updated that the car needs new suspension bushes. To be replaced under warranty.