How long until the 'excess condensation' threads!?

So, turn on "ECON" in the wetter months? 

Does this not go against the "use or it lose it" advice for keeping the system healthy?

I believe the AC compressor is running partially constantly, so no concerns about not having AC on ('ECON') for extended periods.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I totally disagree with that. Last winter I got lots of condensation on the inside of my windscreen. After reading posts here, this winter I've been using my CC every day and also have some dehumidifier packs in a passenger footwell, and I now hardly ever get any condensation.

How running CC would make the inside of the car more humid escapes me. Also, in the winter people often get into cars with wet clothes due to the lovely weather, hence extra moisture in the car even with perfect door seals (which Octavia do not have anyway).

Edit: TsvRS - just a thought, I assume you've checked that your pollen filter isn't wet? If it is try replacing this and then running you AC/CC...

I am not the one using dehumidifier packs - why would I need to check my pollen filter? I think the pollen filter is a known problem but the symptom of a damp pollen filter is common whether using the aircon or not.

What I think the aircon system suffers from across the golf platform is very poor drainage so that all the condensate during use (from breath, wet clothes, damp air etc) tends to collect within.

I have mk2... Front window and side mirrors have heating and they act good. The rear window is slow and also some lines of fog stays on, maybe it's time to replace it since the car is about 5 years old...

I am not the one using dehumidifier packs - why would I need to check my pollen filter?

I didn't suggest you were using dehumidifier packs, I mentioned that I was for full disclosure, as this may be a factor in my reduced misting. But having a dehumidifier pack has nothing to do with the suggestion to check your pollen filter. A common cause of windows misting up when running CC is a wet pollen filter, hence the suggestion.

I think the pollen filter is a known problem but the symptom of a damp pollen filter is common whether using the aircon or not. What I think the aircon system suffers from across the golf platform is very poor drainage so that all the condensate during use (from breath, wet clothes, damp air etc) tends to collect within.

First I've heard of this, and all I can say is that my experience is the complete opposite. Also, the whole point of running AC in winter is to dehumidify air. That's why if you press the button to demist the windscreen it turns the AC on too (well, with Climatronic it certainly does, and I assume it does with a basic AC system).

It would be interesting to know where all of the water you mention is supposed to collect? There must be a drainage hole, is it perhaps a case of this getting blocked? Knowing where in the system it is would also be helpful in working out how likely it is to actually cause condensation. It would need to be collecting between where the air is dehumidified and then blown into the cabin to cause a problem, which seems an unlikely it place it would be?

Obviously anyone can try both and make up their own minds, but running AC/CC make a heck of a lot more sense to me than not doing so. The only reason not to as far as I'm concerned is the increased fuel use, not that this is huge.

Edited by Ultrasonic

First I've heard of this, and all I can say is that my experience is the complete opposite. Also, the whole point of running AC in winter is to dehumidify air. That's why if you press the button to demist the windscreen it turns the AC on too (well, with Climatronic it certainly does, and I assume it does with a basic AC system).

You are absolutely correct, no doubt about that, AC does indeed dehumidify air... but it sounds as if you're also missing the problem being discussed here. The problem isn't that using AC makes condensation worse per-se, as in AC causes condensation, that's not the case. The problem is the AC system as a whole collects the moisture it removes from the air but doesn't drain it properly (a common complaint in this generation of Golf platform), so when you turn on the ignition this damp air is blasted at the windscreen causing it to steam up.

Therefore whether windows are clear, or if they already have condensation on them, they get even more condensation that then needs to be cleared. It has caused the very problem you're trying to avoid!

If you don't use AC, the moisture isn't collected in the AC system and therefore is not blasted at the windscreen.

It's a peculiarity of this platform and the AC system it uses, sadly. Of course, your mileage may vary and you may find that you can run AC all the time and never get steamed up windows, if so you're very lucky! Far more common in this platform is the problem being discussed here :(

but it sounds as if you're also missing the problem being discussed here. The problem isn't that using AC makes condensation worse per-se, as in AC causes condensation, that's not the case. The problem is the AC system as a whole collects the moisture it removes from the air but doesn't drain it properly (a common complaint in this generation of Golf platform), so when you turn on the ignition this damp air is blasted at the windscreen causing it to steam up.

I don't believe I'm missing any point at all, have another read of my earlier post.

You will find many posts from other users on here advising the use of AC to keep the windscreen clear BTW. But as above, anyone can try both ways and see what works for them.

Method 1: Ignition on, screen fogs up immediatley or is already fogged, wait a few minutes for AC to clear it, drive off, park, start over.

Method 2: Ignition on, drive off, park, start over.

The latter works best for me but I used the former for ages before I realised what was going on. All I can suggest is that you try it.

Method 1: Ignition on, screen fogs up immediatley or is already fogged, wait a few minutes for AC to clear it, drive off, park, start over.

Method 2: Ignition on, drive off, park, start over.

The latter works best for me but I used the former for ages before I realised what was going on. All I can suggest is that you try it.

The thing is that for me to achieve Method 2 I need to run the CC, whereas leaving it in ECON mode I find I achieve Method 1...

For the last month or so, I've had really bad steaming up of the windows every time I started up the CC. But for the last week I've used the 'Econ' and have had no issues at all!

Thanks goes out to the OP who suggested that econ was the answer to the steaming up issues on the Octavia and MikeHolroyd for confirming the same works on his similar PD105.

4.5 years of ownership and early morning starts this has been one of the biggest bugbears with the Octavia. Especially after driving a Focus with HFWindscreen for a time last year. I tried dehumidifiers not sure if they helped.

Time will tell however if this has done the trick with the variance of weather.

I just need the same for the SWMBO's Golf TSi without climatetronic just AC. It happened yesterday morning. Most annoying waiting to dismist for 5-10 minutes.

All AC systems will be damp at start up if you were using it for the previous journey, the trick is to dry it out by switching it off at the beginning of a long journey, then you won't need it. On shorter journeys then once you've used it it's best to leave it on otherwise you'll get even more condensation.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Well, after a week running on ECON things have improved.

It still mists up, but I have found it clears much quicker once the CC is running, now more like 30 seconds rather than 3 or 4 minutes.

How would this work with the climatronic units without ECON?

Just run it without AC for a while?

Getting a really bad problem for me at the moment, without intervention it is taking at least 4 or 5 minutes to demist.

Also, the rear heated screen is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, it seems to clear about 1mm either side of the elements and no more!

Yep, as the FL doesn't have an 'ECON' mode just turn the AC button off.

Never really understood why the stuck 'ECON' on it anyway, rather than just have AC on or off!

Depends on the exact system design Mike, regarding the compressor clutch etc; someone like Ross could comment more accurately about that level of detail for sure.

But you're correct in saying the AC part of the HVAC system never turns off entirely.

There is no aircon clutch on these, the compressor spins constantly all the time the engine is running.

AFAIK the amount of actual cooling is controlled by a variable valve on the compressor. With the controls set to Econ it just allows the refrigerant to cycle round the compressor without actually compressing it or sending any refrigerant though the system. This has the advantage over older systems in that the climate control can constantly vary the amount of cooling load through the compressor, whereas with older aircon systems with a clutch it was either 'Off' or 'On', with nothing in between.

Yep my octavia does it and our seat altea. Must admit though since running on ECON for the last week as suggested things have improved. Or it just hasn't been the right weather for condensation yet!?

Yep my octavia does it and our seat altea. Must admit though since running on ECON for the last week as suggested things have improved. Or it just hasn't been the right weather for condensation yet!?

I sense you are on the road to enlightenment. It may not yet have been cold enough or wet enough (really?) for you to be absolutely sure but you are on the shining path.

• 8 months later...