Grit in Engine Oil Cap!?!?

Not very happy...

had this car about 2 weeks, cleaning under the bonnet today and as i took the engine oil filler cap off i noticed that there was a fair amount of oil and gunk on it!

will this damage my engine? or will the filter take care off it?

also noticed there was some small particles of grit in my coolant expanson bottle!

it is a 1.6 tdi skoda fabia 2011 and is still under warrenty, so dont sugar coat it guys, if its guna cause problems let me know and its going straight back!!!

i can upload some pics if you like.

Your doomed. The cars had it. Sand in filer cap!!

Did the car have a service before you got it?

Dealer?

I would go back & show them.

Ask was it serviced, & if so it don't look like it.

I think without seeing this, they should do an oil & filter change with a good clean up all round.

But I cant see it, so commenting solely on your words. 

CD

Pictures might help.

All VAG cars I have ever had always seem to collect grit around the oil filler cap, usually on the outside edges as there is a big rubber seal to stop it getting in the engine.

The car probably has been serviced and will more than likely be completely fine as the grit is around the filler cap not in the engine.

Take off the plastic engine cover, then lift the rubber collar with the debris on from around the filler cap and clean it, however after winter the debris will be back.

Nowt to worry about.

• Like 2

The OP said 'Oil and gunk in the filler cap'.  (the Title says grit  in cap)  Was there grit in the gunk in the cap? Is it Sand (glass)?

Not a mention of around the outside of the filler where you get spillage and then dirt/sand collecting[.

(mayonnaise type discolored type gunk on the cap inside  might suggest moisture/H20 in the Oil)

So has it had 2 Oil/Filter Services & does it do short runs.?

You can get a build up if the engine seldom gets up to a good running temp.

?? How many miles has the car done and was it a Private Owner or a Lease/Company/Hire car?

If a Private Owner try and contact them and ask the story on the car.

RE,

Grit in the Coolant Expansion bottle, do you think it is sand?

Or can it be something from someone putting in K-Seal, Radweld or the likes.

Best get the system flushed and the correct coolant put in. IMO

One idea, of many, is,

there were lots of cars/vehicle in floods last year and the year before..

Even brand new cars on Garage Forecourts.

If the oil & filter needs changed and breathers checked then get that done.

A pressurized coolant system should not take in dirty water,

but if you drown a car or even wade too deep with a hot engine or any components, then it can suck H20 back up breathers and overflows.

george

George, it will be around the filler cap, this is normal.  I think you are making this mole hill into a huge mountain.  

To the OP, please post pictures if you can so we can see what we are dealing with.

• Like 1

Nathan, this is quite normal, use a cloth and move the debris away from the hole, also remove the rubber "O" ring off your filler cap and clean it all, I am certain none of this detritus will be in the engine, I will photograph mine now and show you it is quite normal.

OK, here we go.

This is the filler hole and cap for the Fabia II VRS, it is clean granted but this car has only done 7,000 miles in two years and does not go on the motorway, just town commuting.

10381419913_37d86eac20_b.jpg

Some small bits of debris on the seal.

10381414423_d5964330b7_b.jpg

Clean metal hole rim but very dirty rubber surround.

10381208164_4d46d753f4_b.jpg

NOW for the YETI with 100,000 miles on.

Dirty

10381273726_6a9a11d7b2_b.jpg

Debris all around the fill hole.

10381429483_f476f0ccae_b.jpg

Dirt on the seal of the filler cap, all quite normal, also this car was serviced at the dealers just two weeks ago!

10381240775_bd1398a429_b.jpg

so worry not.

Looks pretty normal to me. I tend to wipe my oil filler cap clean each time it's off but many folk don't ever touch it. So it ends up looking like Nathans. Would worry just wipe it clean. The engine will be clean inside, so long as you are not doing just short trips all the time and it's warming fully up.