Skoda Superb - Winter Tyres and Rims

Sorry, never 100% sure where the best place is to ask these sort of questions, so asking is both places sorry but keen to make sure I don't miss anyones advice.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/292939-skoda-superb-winter-tyres-and-rims/

Hi,

I could pretend what i write next is on the basis of being blond but the reality is I am ginger and know naff all about cars. Its tragic but thankfully I never took a career in the motor trade.

I bought a Skoda Superb Estate (10 reg) last year to replace a Discovery. I was getting bored filled up every 15 miles.

I really like the Skoda but I hate the alloys, they are useless on the back roads where we live.

Definitely now want to replace out and put winters on. I have been advised that it is best to get 16 inch rims and that these would be ok?

Anyone care to agree/disagree or offer cheaper/better

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...atchlink:top:en

Tyres is another matter anyone care to advise on a mid range winter tyre?

Thanks in advance.

You don't have to buy new wheels - you could try all season tyres or winter tyres on your existing alloys

but won't the tyre depth stay the same and I have had 2 destroyed tyres in potholes in the last year around where I live so I need to get a deeper tyre which I am told the 16 inch rims will allow?

Yes, presumably you've got 225/40/18s at the moment whereas a 16" wheel will need 205/55/16s giving a taller sidewall.  You didn't really elaborate on why you felt your alloys were 'useless on the backroads'! 

The wheels you linked to are standard on the Superb Greenline so they should be fine on your car, or you could save a load of money and go for second-hand alloys if money is an issue - lots of folk on here go for older Audi A4/A6 alloys for their winter wheels (the very latestest Audi wheels have a bigger centre bore so you'd have to use spigot rings with them).  Best place to look would be eBay or gumtree.  You'll find people selling second-hand alloys with winter tyres already fitted, but watch out for winter tyres with 4mm or less tread - they're no longer effective in the snow below 4mm.

• Like 2

These look like reasonable value - clicky

Thanks, they look to be 2 different tyres over the 4 wheels. Not sure I would want that, best I assume to have 4 of the same. Will keep an eye on e-bay for the Audi's you suggest.

Lots of people run different tyres all round, it’s certainly not ideal and something I would not do, but it is acceptable.

I run 16” winter tyres on my Superb Estate and they are the ideal size IMO, I was tempted with the Spectrum alloys but I have a perfectly good set of OE Audi (BBS) alloys with winter tyres already so would have to sell them 1st, I’m just a bit of a wheel whore  :giggle:

Whatever you go for just be aware that if you go for non genuine VAG wheels then insurance companies may see them as a modification and charge you a premium!

Thanks, they look to be 2 different tyres over the 4 wheels. Not sure I would want that, best I assume to have 4 of the same. Will keep an eye on e-bay for the Audi's you suggest.

matching pairs on each axle will be fine, especially as the different tyres have very similar directional tread patterns

Hi

Bought a new set of steel wheels from my local dealer for £250 plus a set of winter tyres.  The tyres were no dearer than buying from the likes of ATS and Kwikfit.  Can't see the point in paying silly money for a second set of alloys, or messing around on ebay looking for a set of second hand ones. 

Is fitting steel wheels for use through the winter, really such a crime?

Hi

Bought a new set of steel wheels from my local dealer for £250 plus a set of winter tyres. The tyres were no dearer than buying from the likes of ATS and Kwikfit. Can't see the point in paying silly money for a second set of alloys, or messing around on ebay looking for a set of second hand ones.

Is fitting steel wheels for use through the winter, really such a crime?

The crime is £250 for steel rims!

For my 1st set of winter wheels I paid £80 for a set of 5 OE Audi alloys then a further £100 to have them refurbished,

so £180 all in for mint genuine alloys v's £250 for steel rims?

If the steel rims were £50 a set then there would be a good case for using them but to pay more than alloys is madness IMO.

(There are loads of good condition 16" Audi alloys to be had for around £200 on eBay)

(There are loads of good condition 16" Audi alloys to be had for around £200 on eBay)

Ok, seem to have narrowed it down to these brand new?

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/16-skoda-superb-alloy-winter-wheels-tyres.html

or a 2nd hand set for around £200. Now I genuinely am a numpty so if anyone wants to PM me a link to what they see as good value on eBay then very grateful. Nervous of buying the wrong thing 2nd hand... :blush:  :blush:

I looked for second hand alloys for 2 months; they were generally £ 250 plus, often collection only or a large courier charge, and in bad condition. I have been stung on buckled alloys before, and was not prepared to pay this amount for ragged second hand alloys. There certainly were`nt any going for £ 80, in any condition. So... ugly steels for me!

Just be careful with any non genuine VAG wheels, they will be deemed a modification by many insurance companies (with no doubt a charge) and they may also need different wheel bolts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I looked for second hand alloys for 2 months; they were generally £ 250 plus, often collection only or a large courier charge, and in bad condition. I have been stung on buckled alloys before, and was not prepared to pay this amount for ragged second hand alloys. There certainly were`nt any going for £ 80, in any condition. So... ugly steels for me!

I have paid a total of £260 for 3 sets of alloys. What size have you been looking for?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ok. Narrowed it down to

Hankook EVO XL or Continental 850. Continentals cost more (£28 a tyre). Anyone know what sort of mileage you would expect to get from set a Hankook or Continental?

Thanks guys. All done, New Alloys bought and went for Continental 850's. Really look forward to putting them on as I hate the 18inch tyres. They are way to thin for the roads around where we live. 2 shredded tyres in pot holes last winter to prove it.

I have just bought a new set of 16" alloys with Goodyear winter tires fitted and balanced from mtyres for £650 delivered, they even include a set of new bolts. 

In respect of the insurance companies, winter tyres and alloys follow this link:

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx