Skoda Superb - Winter Tyres and Rims

I've gone for Avon Ice Tourer ST's too...

IMG_5393_zps4dc15f45.jpg

Wouldn't the Audi alloys have gone on the Greenline?

They do fit as I ran them last year, but I decided this year I would go for 16"'s due to that being my standard wheel size. Seemed a bit weird going larger and fatter for winters. My plan is to refurbish and sell them now.

The Conti TS850's have won multiple winter tyre tests across Europe for the last few seasons so they won't let you down. They are even quite good in the dry.

I would have them on my other car but they don't do them in a heavy duty version in my size.  I have the Goodyear Ultragrip 8 on instead on that car and they have surprised me just how good they are.

where did you get the nokians with steels for 520 delivered chan? Thats a bargain! My tyres? Do they sell genuine skoda wheels with the tyres?

As recommended by ChrisR!

Yes, www.MyTyres.co.uk

Think they are just generic steel wheels, mate.

Thanks for that chan! I got discount for being a member of briskoda when I ordered my yeti! Nice shine on your superb what treatment do you use?

Only ChrisR (our resident OCD detailer) can bring such a shine to any car.

I heard he can also bring the dead back too (i mean cars, cars! :-)

One of his links:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/253800-chrisrss-detailing-service-in-aid-of-world-challenge/

Don't forget - if your WHEELS are not from VAG (Skoda / VW / Audi etc) then Mr Insurance man should know about it as they are "Aftermarket" and you maybe charged for it. 

Hence, Steel wheels we bought for Dad's Yeti this winter are Skoda (£211 for the 4x16" new from dealer) and keeping with the recommended tyre size, there's no need to inform Mr Insurance man. 

Al. 

• Like 1

Don't forget - if your WHEELS are not from VAG (Skoda / VW / Audi etc) then Mr Insurance man should know about it as they are "Aftermarket" and you maybe charged for it.

I can't see why.

If I change my tyres from what Skoda fit I don't have to. If I change my wiper blades or headlights with non Skoda OEM parts I don't have to. If at some point in the future my seat belts need replacing, and I don't buy OEM I don't have to!!!! All road safety items

Or is anyone who goes to a motor factors breaking conditions of their insurance?

Surely you should let the insurance company know each time you turn the stability control of too as the insurance rating will have been achieved using the NCAP test with this turned on.

Hence, Steel wheels we bought for Dad's Yeti this winter are Skoda (£211 for the 4x16" new from dealer) and keeping with the recommended tyre size, there's no need to inform Mr Insurance man.

Al.

Edited by RichieJ

I can't see why.

If I change my tyres from what Skoda fit I don't have to. If I change my wiper blades or headlights with non Skoda OEM parts I don't have to. If at some point in the future my seat belts need replacing, and I don't buy OEM I don't have to!!!! All road safety items

Or is anyone who goes to a motor factors breaking conditions of their insurance?

Surely you should let the insurance company know each time you turn the stability control of too as the insurance rating will have been achieved using the NCAP test with this turned on.

Hence, Steel wheels we bought for Dad's Yeti this winter are Skoda (£211 for the 4x16" new from dealer) and keeping with the recommended tyre size, there's no need to inform Mr Insurance man.

Al.

U do have a point too ...

I can't see why.

Al.

Not sure how I got my post right in the middle of the other one. Hopefully you guys can see it in the middle! !

Not sure how I got my post right in the middle of the other one. Hopefully you guys can see it in the middle! !

It's a modification, from Factory / manufacturer Standard (tyre choice, as long as manufacturer spec size, is not a modification) nor is turning off the Traction. 

Its in the same category as Lowered Suspension, Tinted Glass, body kits etc. i.e. not what the Manufacturer intended. 

Headlights need to be "E" marked for Uk use - therefore, will meet the manufacturers spec. - Wiper blades and SeatBelts are all MOT items - so that covers them lot too. 

Al. 

It's a modification, from Factory / manufacturer Standard (tyre choice, as long as manufacturer spec size, is not a modification) nor is turning off the Traction. 

Its in the same category as Lowered Suspension, Tinted Glass, body kits etc. i.e. not what the Manufacturer intended. 

Headlights need to be "E" marked for Uk use - therefore, will meet the manufacturers spec. - Wiper blades and SeatBelts are all MOT items - so that covers them lot too. 

Al. 

What model spec Yeti does your dad have then. I believe they all came with alloys? If thats the case it has been modified from factory / manufacturer standard specification and you do need to tell your insurance company if what you say is correct. You may have fitted "VAG" steel wheels but it is a modification.

I have fitted 90% brighter headlights, yes they will meet an "E" approval but this is a modification as it is not how it Skoda specified it. I'm guessing now as I dont work in the motoring trade, i work in aviation, but you would like to think that components we fit to our cars, whether from a main dealer or a motor factors meets the required production standard be it BS EN, ISO, ot TUV.

With regards to the MOT, yes those item are checked for condition, but so are the wheels. Quite heavily actually. Such as cracks, distortion, denting, security, elongation of bolt holes, or corrosion, They even check the spare. Never noticed them get my spare bulb kit out to check it!

The base model Yeti (E) gets steels and plastic trims...

DSCF3207%20(Small).JPG

As above really - and these are the wheels we've fitted - as for my Merc, for example I've came down to 17" Merc Alloys - again, specced by Merc - as there isn't an E class with Steels, i can't do steels.

(When i had my Superb, i fitted Genuine Skoda Luxon 18" Alloys and Winter tyres)

Sorry, Mr Insurance "can" (if was in a bad mood) chuck the book at you, if they aint declared and you're involved in an accident. 

As for 90% brighter bulbs, then you still have Halogen's fitted - therefore, specced by Skoda. - If you have HIDS fitted (into any headlight that is not Projector, with Self-levelling (or the vehicle is self-levelling) and has washers) then you should not only inform insurance, but are also breaking the law.

Don't, justify it to me, why not ring your insurance and see what they say? - We did. 

Al. 

ps. Spare bulb kit not a legal requirement here in the Uk. 

Hence, Steel wheels we bought for Dad's Yeti this winter are Skoda (£211 for the 4x16" new from dealer) and keeping with the recommended tyre size, there's no need to inform Mr Insurance man. 

Al. 

That's not my reading of it.  The link below gives the Association for British Insurers formal stance on the subject with a list of which insurers need to be notified, and about what, when fitting winter tyres.  A few wish to be notified only if the customer "has or is fitting alloy wheels" and a couple wish to be notified only if the customer "has or is fitting alloy and/or wider wheels".  However the vast majority of the insurers on the list do not need to be notified at all.  The very fact that certain insurers explicitly state they do wish to be notified about alloys with the fitment of winter tyres implies that the others in the same table do not.

Michael

Link: https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

That's not my reading of it.  The link below gives the Association for British Insurers formal stance on the subject with a list of which insurers need to be notified, and about what, when fitting winter tyres.  A few wish to be notified only if the customer "has or is fitting alloy wheels" and a couple wish to be notified only if the customer "has or is fitting alloy and/or wider wheels".  However the vast majority of the insurers on the list do not need to be notified at all.  The very fact that certain insurers explicitly state they do wish to be notified about alloys with the fitment of winter tyres implies that the others in the same table do not.

Michael

Link: https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

"The commitment does not cover fitting new wheels. Any motorist who has winter tyres fitted to new wheels should contact their motor insurer for advice."

https://www.abi.org.uk/News/News-releases/2011/12/ABI-ISSUES-REASSURANCE-TO-MOTORISTS-FITTING-WINTER-TYRES

Al.