power steering rack knock

hi guys, my power steeering rack has started to knock and has a little bit of play, it's definitely not the column, it only does it when the steering is in the straight ahead position and only does is once during the first few degrees on turning, what you guys reckon? new rack time?

i read somewhere that you can adjust the free play by winding a screw in on the rack but i cant remember where that is now. :sweat:

• 3 years later...

im having same issue matey. when driving slow and turn at a slight angle i get a slight knocking. also im getting creaking from driver's side wheel area.

what is worrying is that i checked drivers side where the rack is and the fluid hose from resiviour and also the banjo looks very worn along with the rack. will post pics up tomorrow

Edited by drew_smith

The PS on Felicia is not serviceable according to Skoda service manual. The only jobs that can be performed are:

• PS fluid replacing
  • PS system bleeding
  • PS pump pressure testing

A creaking noise means bad steering/suspension joints.

A loud whirring noise means the steering fluid needs bleeding or replacement.

A (slight) knocking means worn tie rods or worn rack/pinion.

Although not mentioned by Skoda you can try adjusting the play by reading the guide I've uploaded at http://www98.zippyshare.com/v/7OlfKObc/file.html

PS

The guide is not written by me so it might need better translation.