CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

Rooted

new engine being fitted this week 27k miles on fabia vrs , hopefully a CTHE one.

Is the original engine a CAVE? If so it won't be a CTHE unit. You'll get some factory 'refurbed' CAVE engine I'd imagine :-(

12 plate fabia vrs in for engine change on Thursday 18th September, dealer reckons I should get it back tomorrow (Tuesday). Mileage at point of change was a shade over 26,000. Assured twice by Skoda UK that it would be a brand new engine that would be fiited, I have asked for written confirmation of details of new engine inc manufacturing date, and for confirmation of additional 2 year warranty as promised during call with Skoda UK.

Original engine was CAVE, I asked for clarity around new engine actually being a remanufactured factory unit CAVE with replaced and upgraded parts but was told twice (see above) that it was definitely a brand new engine. I suspect it won't be, but so long as the thirst for oil is calmed down I'll be happy.

For those who have had an engine changed, any tell tale signs to watch for that the job is a botched one or any particular problems that have occurred over more than one engine change (as in more than one user here has had the same problems upon an engine exchange)?

I will be watching the oil obviously, but wondered if there are any other things to look out for.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I should have also asked are there any very easy to spot signs the engine is indeed a new one?

Not particularly ,just the stamping up of your service booklet at the back and a reference to the Skoda UK Case No History.

There should also be some kind of receipt /document that shows work down by the dealer.

• Like 1

New / Refurnished are externally identical, after all they came from a VW Factory.

You want the full details of the Engine, Build Date etc.

After all it is your property and in the future you might need to know the engines components as it left the factory.

So just get Skoda UK to supply in writing the Engine/ VIN Number on Production of the Engine, and that it travelled carrying,

& if the Engine Number / VIN, now matches the V5 information & the VIN Sticker in the boot Because they have made the changes.

• Like 1

Not particularly ,just the stamping up of your service booklet at the back and a reference to the Skoda UK Case No History.

There should also be some kind of receipt /document that shows work down by the dealer.

Delighted to say we now have the car back with the new engine fitted. I've commented elsewhere on a few related issues but to answer on the specifics above I can confirm nothing has been stamped or added anywhere in the Service book relating to the work, nor any reference to the Skoda UK case number history. The chap, who has been very good, simply advised that all details were held on the Skoda system. 

No receipt or other document either from dealer, he will be putting through the warranty claim now.

New / Refurnished are externally identical, after all they came from a VW Factory.

You want the full details of the Engine, Build Date etc.

After all it is your property and in the future you might need to know the engines components as it left the factory.

So just get Skoda UK to supply in writing the Engine/ VIN Number on Production of the Engine, and that it travelled carrying,

& if the Engine Number / VIN, now matches the V5 information & the VIN Sticker in the boot Because they have made the changes.

Bearing in mind part of reply above, I'll need to ask Skoda directly for the information as the dealer either didn't have it or wouldn't give it.

On the specific of the VIN and engine number, after being asked why I would want that, I said I wanted to make sure the information matched in case of the worst case scenario happening and somehow insurance became invalidated. I was told no change to engine number or for dvla to worry about as chassis number still the same.

As I say though I will be speaking to Skoda tomorrow in any case so I will bring these matters up.

Many thanks to all, particularly George and Keith, for all their help without which I would still be floundering.

• Like 1

Enjoy the new motor! Have a good drive this weekend to bed it in.

Hope all the peripheral issues are sorted to your satisfaction soon. Don't let Skoda UK fob you off.

The dealer should have made an entry in you service book about the engine change.

Ask Skoda UK for a copy of your cars history file, if nothing forth coming from the dealer.

Again No set procedure laid down or followed between Skoda and Dealership - that is Crap in my opinion.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

2011 cave with 28000 miles ma car was using 0.25 per 621 miles, ecu and breather done it made it worse. It used 1 litre per 621miles. Just waiting on gettin ma car bk from skoda in ayr who i have to admit have been great. Its a refurb cave engine thats being fitted

63 plate CTHE replaced at just over 20,000, was using approx 3/4 litre per 500 miles in the end. Took a week to complete as some other 'issues' arose while it was having the swap, dealer was spot on to deal with and were quite transparent about the entire oil test and results.

• Like 1

63 plate CTHE replaced at just over 20,000, was using approx 3/4 litre per 500 miles in the end. Took a week to complete as some other 'issues' arose while it was having the swap, dealer was spot on to deal with and were quite transparent about the entire oil test and results.

If you don't mind me asking ,what was the overall deal you got from Skoda UK WITH THE NEW ENGINE. As there still seems to be a degree of variation with people in the same boat.

Think of things like, engine/mechanical parts and labour extended warranty, oil paid for during high consumption period.

New engine oil ,plugs and filters fitted the new unit on installations etc.

This could help others in their claim .

Thanks for your help, as it's much appreciated.

Edited by vrskeith

I don't like hearing about CTHEs being replaced!

• Like 1

I have only heard of CTHE from the First 6-7 months of production being faulty.

There were a few members here that had early CTHE failures.

So CTHE Built & in cars First Registered in the UK between about October 2012 to about May 2013.

Possibly VW / Skoda never got the Quality Control or the MAP right until the Face Lift 2013 Seat Ibiza Cupra was released for sale in the first quarter 2013.

???????

If anyone knows of any 1.4 TSI CTHE 132 - 136 kW engine built after April 2013 being Replaced, can they please say.

thanks

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

If you don't mind me asking ,what was the overall deal you got from Skoda UK WITH THE NEW ENGINE. As there still seems to be a degree of variation with people in the same boat.

Think of things like, engine/mechanical parts and labour extended warranty, oil paid for during high consumption period.

New engine oil ,plugs and filters fitted the new unit on installations etc.

This could help others in their claim .

Thanks for your help, as it's much appreciated.

I would rather not post in the thread right now as some items are still not concluded but happy to send a PM if you can empty your inbox?

• Like 2

I have only heard of CTHE from the First 6-7 months of production being faulty.

There were a few members here that had early CTHE failures.

So CTHE Built & in cars First Registered in the UK between about October 2012 to about May 2013.

Possibly VW / Skoda never got the Quality Control or the MAP right until the Face Lift 2013 Seat Ibiza Cupra was released for sale in the first quarter 2013.

???????

If anyone knows of any 1.4 TSI CTHE 132 - 136 kW engine built after April 2013 being Replaced, can they please say.

thanks

george

Mine was September 2013 so, not sure on when the engine was manufactured.

• Like 1

Cheers.

Look at the Sticker on the Drivers side of the engine near the Barcode, and see if it shows a Date.

EDIT.

DOH< 

Sorry, Scrub that, New engine in, so you can just try to find the Build Date of the car.

You can ask the Skoda UK Customer Manager, 

they can tell you when the car was built.

& if the car has the same Engine Number now,  that tells them when the Original Engine was built,

& the Car from the VIN.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Good.

But we can not assume the Engine fitted was only produced June / July / August because Sales were slow and there could be Stock.

So non the wiser if your engine could have been built first quarter 2013.

Hopefully all will be well now with the one they have fitted. 

Did they tell you if it is a 'Brand New CTHE' 

Does it have a Date Sticker on the Block?

Brand new CTHE, saw in in its crate.

It did have a date sticker before it peeled off and it was Aug 14.

All seems well as it has covered a few thousand miles without using a single noticeable drop, the old one would have used 2 litres already even when at its best.

Edited by R4zb3rry
  • Like 3

Any Explanation from Skoda on why yours failed. Seeing as it was a CTHE ??

I hope they compensated you properly and the car is not just running out its Original 3 Year Warranty 

but you received an Extra Years Warranty & Assistance for the Time you had to waste.

A Refurbished one from the VW Factory looks exactly the same as a New one,  it is finished exactly the same,

& comes in a Transportation Crate.

Some of the others with Replacement CAVE Engines might put up the Picture of their Newly Refurnished Engine in the Crate from the Factory.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I would rather not post in the thread right now as some items are still not concluded but happy to send a PM if you can empty your inbox?

Thanks very much will do - keep forgetting.

R4zb3rry, I'm in the same position as you re claim ongoing, don't want to pm you unsolicited so to speak but wouldn't mind being able to converse on the post engine change dealings with Skoda UK, I know from reading here that there is no consistency so would be interested to hear how they are dealing with you, and to let you know what has been offered to us by Skoda.

I'm going to check the engine in ours to see what stickers are there, I know I was told it was a brand new engine but there seems to be a more than strong chance that our CAVE engine would have been replaced by a remanufactured CAVE engine, which as George says is as good in any case.

Pleased to say we've done around 400 miles and no oil loss, so fingers crossed the engine change has done the trick for us.

R4zb3rry, I'm in the same position as you re claim ongoing, don't want to pm you unsolicited so to speak but wouldn't mind being able to converse on the post engine change dealings with Skoda UK, I know from reading here that there is no consistency so would be interested to hear how they are dealing with you, and to let you know what has been offered to us by Skoda.

I'm going to check the engine in ours to see what stickers are there, I know I was told it was a brand new engine but there seems to be a more than strong chance that our CAVE engine would have been replaced by a remanufactured CAVE engine, which as George says is as good in any case.

Pleased to say we've done around 400 miles and no oil loss, so fingers crossed the engine change has done the trick for us.

PM me by all means, quite happy to help members that have posted about engine issues already.