CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

Rooted

Good.

The Finance company need to do this because it is their car, you are only the registered keeper at present.

Dealers even Independents need to meet their responsibilities, that why you buy from them and not go private.

All the best.

george

Thanks again George that's the road I'm going down think it will take some time

Be aware that there were 'apparently' Skoda Dealerships that were possibly REVO Dealerships telling customers that you could have a REVO remap and still have a valid warranty.

The REVO websites did not say this, in fact they said something totally different.

Now i can not name them,

but you will find posts back in 2010-2011-2012 from members that were posting on this.

Many of us said, that must be the Dealer covering the Warranty, because clearly Skoda & Skoda UK do not.

george

• 2 weeks later...

Last couple of days dsg gearbox started get funny... shakes in first gear when i just start to move...:) the car is on 11.700 km and engine replaced and will see what will happen to dsg gearbox...

ServicePASAOGLU

But at the end I have decided to sell the vrs... :( i ama using teh car everyday and the running cost get higher and higher... this is the best option i could think, will get a diesel...:)

ServicePASAOGLU

Lucky for me the dealer I got mine from offered me my money back. A bit gutted to be honest as I loved the car but way too many problems with them!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just took mine in and waiting for the engine swap.Done 13500 and its a cave and was using a litre every 1000 miles and 

has done so from new.Had issues with the epc and engine management lights coming on and the car vibrating badly.They said the plugs where fouled up with oil deposits. Was told its getting a full engine and not just the bottom end. never thrashed it . Can't wait to get it back don't like the rapid they've given me.

I will keep the car probably till march the trade it in for a superb or octavia vrs.

Love the car but wont miss the engine faults

Edited by flamazine
  • Like 1

Good too see this thread being picked up again as we need to get VAG answerable for all affected owners in UK and beyond !

They have got away lightly over the last 3 years but the owners have suffered in their pocket, with total frustration and at the hands of an uncaring  Manufacturer who just wanted to hush it all up.

Well done  sk4gw your a good friend too have on our side.

Lets hope you can penetrate the thick skull and uncaring heart and tight pockets of VAG.

Cheers.

Keith.

( or as Citizen Smith once said "Power to The People".)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Post #3  &  #5 are members that own CTHE Engined cars,  2nd Generation,  built and bought at the end of 2012 - early 2013.

and they required new engines.  

They were proved to be High Oil Users while still at quite low mieages.

As a prospective future owner, this whole saga about the fragility of the 1.4L TSI Twincharged engine concerns me greatly.  Reading comments about people remapping the ECU and fitting easily removable tuning boxes made me suspect that the problem might only affect boy racers (of all ages).  As a result, I have resorted to Google and it seems that the problem is mentioned in a number of places - Australia seems to suffer a lot.

According to international reports, Volkswagen is thinking of cutting the 1.4TSI twincharger engine from production. The engine, both turbocharged and supercharged, is said to be too complex and too expensive for Volkswagen to continue making. (LINK)

Volkswagen is believed to be discontinuing its award-winning ''twincharged'' turbo and supercharged engine due to high costs and complexity. (LINK)

The idea of having to top up the oil, fit new plugs and then replace the entire engine on a regular basis with a road car does seem to suggest that VAG are trying to get a gallon out of  a pint pot.

As a side issue, I get the impression that the DSG box may be somewhat fragile as well.  In fairness, most people seem to suggest that the problems with that can usually be traced back to the 1.4L TSI Twincharged lump.  Are there also problems with the DSG box?

I plan to test drive a Fabia vRS and perhaps a 1.4L TSI Octavia in the next week or two and I would dearly love to be as prepared as possible when speaking to the dealer.

Articles were appearing in 2011 saying that VW were going to stop producing the Twincharger 180 ps engines.

From 2009 VAG,  thats Volkswagen Audi Group knew of the faults that can occur in some of their engines,

in 2012 they revised them and in 2014 they still build and sell them.

The DSG Gearbox with the more common problems is not as fitted to the 1.4 tsi 180ps engine.

(there are a few that had Clutch Packs replaced.)

No way is it fragile, because it does the job very well, even with abuse.

Just some of the usual VAG Quality control, faulty Mechatronics.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/299933-has-the-vrs-been-expensive-for-skoda-on-warranty-claims

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/296697-how-harsh-is-the-ride-in-a-fabia-vrs

• Like 1

PLEASE CAN WE LEAVE THIS THREAD FOR ANYONE POSTING DETAILS OF REPLACEMENT ENGINES OR GEARBOXES.

Those that have owned cars that required replacements or rebuilds or still do.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping incase anyone is looking to go buy a used vRS this weekend, you need to know to ask the Dealer if Warranty Work has been done.

Or check with Skoda UK Customer Services.

New engines are not a problem, but you should be able to see that oin the Service Book that it was replaced.

Just bumping incase anyone is looking to go buy a used vRS this weekend, you need to know to ask the Dealer if Warranty Work has been done.

Or check with Skoda UK Customer Services.

New engines are not a problem, but you should be able to see that oin the Service Book that it was replaced.

Thanks,

Was considering one as the wife's run around.

62 plate, engine replaced February 2014 at 8500 miles. CAVE out, CAVE in. It doesn't seem to have used any noticeable amount of oil in the 250 miles I've done so far hopefully it will continue this way.

Previous engine was using something like 1L for every 300 miles (approx) I am told yet it took writing the Skoda UK brand director (Alasdair Stewart) to get them to sort it out and stop using my car as a lab rat. Still awaiting paperwork to confirm.

There seems to be a few running issues with the new engine at the moment. I have also noticed a rattling noise when the car is winding down through 4000 to 3000 revs. Probably another road test and "our technician can't recreate the fault you are describing" when it goes in.

A real let down Skoda / VAG.

Well not really in the UK. Not thousands.

When there were only 1,800 or so CAVE in vRS Sold, and a few hundred have had new engines,or have the high oil use issues and others,  and others have failed around the world.

Then the 800 or so CTHE in the UK, but we have only heard or 3 Briskoda Members with them replaced.

But the Twincharger Ibiza, Polo & Audi engines have had the same issues as the vRS.

• 4 weeks later...

2010 60 Plate CAVE. Engine replaced at 23,000 after oil breather modification failed to improve oil consumption (1L per 1,000 miles). Second engine replaced at 26,000 (1L per 350 miles). Third engine currently undergoing an oil consumption test but I estimate about 1L per 1000-ish miles. Is it worth me pushing for a CTHE engine (are they any better) or should I pursue another tack such as getting Skoda to buy the car back at higher than book price or offering a very good price on a new Octavia VRS?

Write to the Skoda UK Director regarding your issues ,using the basis of the letter raised by a fellow member on here.

That generated some action!

George will no doubt point you in the right direction.

Minimum should be the offer of a New Fabia vRS REPLACEMENT. or your money back 

2010 60 Plate CAVE. Engine replaced at 23,000 after oil breather modification failed to improve oil consumption (1L per 1,000 miles). Second engine replaced at 26,000 (1L per 350 miles). Third engine currently undergoing an oil consumption test but I estimate about 1L per 1000-ish miles. Is it worth me pushing for a CTHE engine (are they any better) or should I pursue another tack such as getting Skoda to buy the car back at higher than book price or offering a very good price on a new Octavia VRS?

George,

Have you seen this one?

It is a par for the course and the usual Skoda UK taking the pith.

Everyone with Twincharger Issues need to look at 'austenw90's Email and get similar off to, 

ALASDAIR STEWART, BRAND DIRECTOR SKODA UK.

Via SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES,

ADDRESSED AS FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALASDAIR STEWART BRAND DIRECTOR SKODA UK,  RSVP.

Or get legal advice, TRADING STANDARDS advice, and go from there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick message with something pretty important to this thread.

After being told by the dealer and Skoda UK that I don't need to inform any authorities about engine replacement I contacted VOSA who have confirmed the DVLA must be notified.

DVLA say that you need to complete section 6 of the log book and return it to update their records.

Yet again, customers are being misinformed.

• Like 1

Another owner is having his CAVE engine replaced after lots of being messed about.

Skoda really need to start acting professionally.

Owners now have Replacement engines with who knows what Engine Numbers on.

For the future if the car is in an accident or stolen, this can cause issues.

Service Manuals need to be Written up, and the DVLA Informed.

It really is time in the UK that VOSA take Skoda & VAG to task on this.