CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

Rooted

Totally agree, unfortunately we are getting to the end of production but still think you are right in this matter!

They are slowly getting away with a scratch and not a bloody nose!!

Legal machinery in the UK is crap in this regard . NOT Supporting  CUSTOMERS.

Waiting test results on Partner's CAVE,SHOULD BE MID NEXT WEEK. 

Dealer already said to her that if it fails test  or is boarder line, that the protocol is to still fit breather.

What a waste of time, in my view.

Car back today after engine replacement at 43000 bought second hand at 36000. Used 4l of oil in 800miles. (Filled correct amount both times) and confirmed by dealer. Serious palava getting a new engine but thats another story for another thread. Not sure on what engine as I cant find an engine code for the life of me. Awaiting a full report from dealer. Will updat thread accordingly.

Edited by Th3Grinch
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for a reason.

More new Members are buying 1.4 TSI Twincharger cars which are now out of the Original Manufacturers Warranty.

If they have no Extended Warranty they have to take action against,

Skoda, VW, Seat or Audi them shelves.

If you have had an Engine or Gearbox Replaced on a CAVE/DSG or a CTHE/DSG and not added to this thread yet,

then please do.

If you have had to pursue any of the VAG MANUFACTURERS, because of engine failure or high oil use etc, 

please tell us your experience with them.

1.4 TSI Twinchargers only though, 2009-2014.

thanks 

george

just to let you know i have a 62 plate fabia vrs and haven't thrashed it around after 2 oil consumption tests my engine decided to give up the ghost and pack in.

i was using roughly between one litre every 800 to 850 miles and as i was driving the engine just popped. it turns out the fourth cylinder blew because of excess oil use and part of the spark plug burnt out falling into the engine.

i now have a courtesy car and am awaiting the findings if its my fault or theirs,not quite sure how it can be mine as i kept it topped up as much as humanly possible and challenged both consumption test after being told they were in tolerance.maybe they should have told the bloody engine that and it might not have gone on strike.

very disappointed in the whole skoda experience and i will be selling it no matter what the outcome. shame on you skoda. :wall:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this, and i hope i can help or other members can if you get messed about by Skoda.

Can you help me please.

You say a 62 plate,  

so it is First Registered between Sept 2012 & 29th Feb 2013.

So do you know,  is it a CTHE engine,

or was the car built a bit before September 2012 and possibly a CAVE engine,

2010- last quarter 2012.

or please check the V5 and see the engine designation/code.   CAVE or CTHE

?? And how many miles covered before you noticed it was using too much oil.

and Skoda UK approved an Oil Consumption Test?

PS,  

you may be in a position to make Skoda take the car back and make good your losses.

They know the faults are there and what possible cars will prove faulty, they know when dodgy parts have been used, poor manufacturing, materials or quality control

and they are going to have to start bearing costs greater than just engine replacements.

hi thanks for your help my car was an x demonstrator brought with 4.5k on the clock. it was first registered in september 2012 and looking on the log book is a cave engine.

i pretty much noticed after a thousand miles of me having it and the oil light coming on that i thought either it was a natural thing or could be an issue.

just before 10k i booked it in for the first service and after putting over 5 litres in from 4.5k to under 10k i mentioned it to the dealer and they said it did sound a lot and so would have a consumption test done on it through skoda uk.

i got my very own charlotte from skoda uk and after not being happy at the first consumption test they did another but again told it was within tolerance.

it is now at just under 17k and several litres later it has now given up and the compression in cylinder 4 is no more spark plug burnt out and no compression.

i complained so much all they did was close the case because in there eyes it was within tolerance.

it doesn't seem fair that you try your hardest to get help and it falls on deaf ears then when it goes caboom then they look for anyone but themselves to blame.

i also wondered if the garage that sold it me which in fairness isn't the one thats dealing with me now actually new about the problem and sold it off cheap to get rid. they say if its to good to be true then its a problem.

The Dealership is only doing the work,

many are next to useless and clueless and Skoda UK sometimes act like yours is the first they have heard of.

Yours will be one of the last CAVE engine cars,

they had enough of the 1,800 or so they sold June 2010 until your car to know what was going wrong,

they were just getting ready to fit the revised engine to cars, 2012 - now.

Just do not let them mess you about for too long now.

Skoda UK know what they need to do, and they need to instruct a Dealership to get on with it.

Any problems,

Contact VIA Skoda UK Customer Services,

Alasdair Stewart, Brand Director Skoda UK,

and let him know that the Saga continues and Skoda UK play the 3 monkeys.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/291585-warning-on-spark-plugs-14-tsi-cave-vrs-check-the-spark-plugs

Bought my 2011 Fabia VRS from a non-Skoda garage last September with 30k on the clock, and within the first week noticed the distinct lack of oil. I then discovered this forum and my heart sank as I read the horror stories!

Took the car to my local dealer (Rainworth Skoda, Notts) and they promptly booked me in for an oil consumption test.

After jumping through all the hoops of breather pipe mods and further oil consumption tests, my car was still using approx 1 Litre every 200 miles.

I have now had a new engine fitted (not sure what type) and have been running it for 3 weeks and roughly 400 miles, and the oil is still at max on the dip stick, so fingers crossed all is now well.

I was overall happy with how Rainworth dealt with this, and it seemed like that had done the same for a few customers in recent years and I never paid a penny for any work carried out. Two things disappointed me however;

I was never told I had to update my V5 - I only found out from reading this thread.

As the process took so long, my car is now out of manufacturers warranty, so when I asked how much warranty I was going to be given on the new engine, I was told "none Sir, as the car is out of warranty", and then the technician proceeded to try and sell me an extended warranty for £700. I then asked "so what happens if my engine drops out on the way home?", and got the reply "nothing, the car is now out of warranty Sir". I then got cross and left.

I thought any work carried out would be covered with 1 year parts and labour warranty?

Edited by Designer23t
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers for that.

You can buy the Extended Warranty for 2 years from Skoda for under £550, and they must honour it,

its a new engine and no known faults according to them, at the time the warranty is taken out.

Or from Car Plan you can buy that same Warranty Cheaper online.

But maybe best get back onto Skoda UK Customer Services.

Others get New Engines and Extended Warranties as they should.

Skoda need to get dealing with Customers in a Fair Way.

They build faulty cars and the Customer deserves marchantable quality, 

The Warranty Extended for piece of mind is essential.

As it is, if the replacement engine fails, or the Dealership Work is not to a high standard,

Trading Standards or a Small Claims court will soon sort Skoda out.

Skoda/VAG can try to get away with pretending there are not issues with in the region of 

20% of the 1,800 vRS 2010-2012, but as we know there is, and there are an ever increasing number

as the miles go one some CAVE engine vRS.

Extending the Warranty to 5 years 'on all 1,800' 1.4 TSI CAVE vRS is the very least Skoda UK should do.

• Like 1

Bought my 2011 Fabia VRS from a non-Skoda garage last September with 30k on the clock, and within the first week noticed the distinct lack of oil. I then discovered this forum and my heart sank as I read the horror stories!

Took the car to my local dealer (Rainworth Skoda, Notts) and they promptly booked me in for an oil consumption test.

After jumping through all the hoops of breather pipe mods and further oil consumption tests, my car was still using approx 1 Litre every 200 miles.

I have now had a new engine fitted (not sure what type) and have been running it for 3 weeks and roughly 400 miles, and the oil is still at max on the dip stick, so fingers crossed all is now well.

I was overall happy with how Rainworth dealt with this, and it seemed like that had done the same for a few customers in recent years and I never paid a penny for any work carried out. Two things disappointed me however;

I was never told I had to update my V5 - I only found out from reading this thread.

As the process took so long, my car is now out of manufacturers warranty, so when I asked how much warranty I was going to be given on the new engine, I was told "none Sir, as the car is out of warranty", and then the technician proceeded to try and sell me an extended warranty for £700. I then asked "so what happens if my engine drops out on the way home?", and got the reply "nothing, the car is now out of warranty Sir". I then got cross and left.

I thought any work carried out would be covered with 1 year parts and labour warranty?

Seven ton! That's adding insult to injury unless it was the two-year warranty with breakdown. Even then that would be more than I paid.

Seven ton! That's adding insult to injury unless it was the two-year warranty with breakdown. Even then that would be more than I paid.

Yes insult to injury is what I thought too. It was for 2 years and break down, and I didn't hang around long enough to hear other options!

Unfortunately I can't spare the cash to extend the warranty and I agree with 'goneoffski' that I should have been given a free 1 year warranty that covers parts and labour. I think because I didn't buy the car from them they were less accommodating than they might have been otherwise.

Anyway, other than the slight bitter taste in my mouth, I'm really enjoying the car!!

• Like 1

No need for them to be less accommodating,

the Dealership doing the engine replacement are well rewarded for carrying out the Warranty Work.

Have fun with the car.

george

Bought my 2011 Fabia VRS from a non-Skoda garage last September with 30k on the clock

<snip>

With the best will in the world, I suspect that this was your first mistake; a three year old vRS with 30k on the clock is likely to have had a hard life being driven "as if it was stolen" :(

How many previous owners has it had? What was the service history like? Do you know if it had been modified at all?

Fortunately you have now had a new engine fitted.  I would be amazed if anything were to go wrong with that in the near future and you weren't covered by the garage (or Skoda?); the Sale of Goods Act should apply to a replacement engine.  Probably worth checking direct with Skoda immediately. I agree wholeheartedly that Skoda's policy in regard to warranty is way out of touch with current competition.

With any luck you will have many miles enjoyable motoring, hope so :)

• Like 2

Expect any MK2 vRS bought new or ex Demo to have been driven like it was stolen.

(ones that have not been will be quite rare i imagine.)

There are plenty that have been used hard for 3 years and are over 40,000 miles and perfectly good.

Expect that any car bought used of any class, even city cars to have been driven like they were stolen,

lots of Lease & Ex Hire cars out there,

and then expect it to perform reliably for 7 years at least from being first registered.

10 years old & 120,000 miles of maintaining a vehicles and you should still have one worth something..

5 years and 60,000 miles of good and reliable driving with annual or variable servicing can surely be a minimum to expect since Euro 5 Engines were introduced.

george

• Like 1

With the best will in the world, I suspect that this was your first mistake; a three year old vRS with 30k on the clock is likely to have had a hard life being driven "as if it was stolen" :(

How many previous owners has it had? What was the service history like? Do you know if it had been modified at all?

Fortunately you have now had a new engine fitted. I would be amazed if anything were to go wrong with that in the near future and you weren't covered by the garage (or Skoda?); the Sale of Goods Act should apply to a replacement engine. Probably worth checking direct with Skoda immediately. I agree wholeheartedly that Skoda's policy in regard to warranty is way out of touch with current competition.

Not sure I get that bit - mine is three and a half years old with 20k - it certainly hasn't had a hard life.
  • Like 4

That may be so, but with cars sometimes your heart rules your head, and this car ticked a lot of boxes for me so I had to have it!

It had 2 previous owners, but I wasn't too concerned as it had a full service history and was still within manufacturers warranty - which turned out to be vital in the end.

Whats done is done, and my local dealer tells me the car is now in very good heath, so all being well I'll have many trouble free years ahead!

Thanks for all the help and useful feedback everyone.

• Like 2

Agree about the heart ruling the head - I've taken test drives and decided - 'I want this' - I'm like that with a lot of purchases - I just wish I could learn to take a step back sometimes :p (not talking about the vRS here but could possibly say that about my MKI - and only because it was the wrong car for me - that and the leaky rear doors).

• Like 1

Not sure I get that bit - mine is three and a half years old with 20k - it certainly hasn't had a hard life.

Expect any MK2 vRS bought new or ex Demo to have been driven like it was stolen.

The Oracle has spoken!

On a more serious note, I did say "is likely to have had a hard life". I accept that there will be exceptions - such as yours ;)

• Like 1

Dude you are on a wind up. I am a 1.4 twin charger fan boy. And happy. Are you buying one now or still thinking about it?

• Like 1

Fortunately you have now had a new engine fitted.  I would be amazed if anything were to go wrong with that in the near future and you weren't covered by the garage (or Skoda?); the Sale of Goods Act should apply to a replacement engine.  Probably worth checking direct with Skoda immediately. I agree wholeheartedly that Skoda's policy in regard to warranty is way out of touch with current competition.

Guess you'll never make that mistake . As you  are now a vRS EXPERT, you will never have one in your garage then.

But feel free to criticise other that have hands on experience but still have fun and enjoy the ride , the emotion and frustration of Skoda and associated costs.

Provided that Skoda go on replacing the engine, ever two years, you could have an infinite fun package!

Enjoy whatever motor you have!

Sounds promising. My new engine has covered 1800 miles now and doesn't seem to have touched any oil or any noticeable amount anyway.

You should write to Alasdair Stewart if customer services don't provide at least 1 years extended warranty. It is the LEAST they can do. If they won't just do it as they should think of it as compensation for all your time and the hassle it has caused and how you won't buy another Skoda. When I mentioned this was my first Skoda and possibly last they soon started offering all sorts.

• Like 2

Sounds promising. My new engine has covered 1800 miles now and doesn't seem to have touched any oil or any noticeable amount anyway.

You should write to Alasdair Stewart if customer services don't provide at least 1 years extended warranty. It is the LEAST they can do. If they won't just do it as they should think of it as compensation for all your time and the hassle it has caused and how you won't buy another Skoda. When I mentioned this was my first Skoda and possibly last they soon started offering all sorts.

Thanks. I'll be writing to customer services this weekend for a year's free warranty.

• Like 1