CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

Rooted

Chris,

That must have been the quickest engine change of a CAVE in the UK and similarly sell on.

Would have been interesting to know the life of the engine with the new owner. Do you ever see it about locally? 

After the CAVE Fiasco there were the few early CTHE Cars with Engine issues, then reliability.

Now there seems to be Spark Plug Issues on some CTHE 1.4TSI Twinchargers from late 2012 - 2013.

Just a Warning really, do not ignore your Spark Plugs.

The 40,000 miles Schedule for Spark Plugs changed is maybe just too long in some cases.

If you get misfires or the EPC or the Exhaust Control Light showing,  be sure to get the Technician to check the Spark Plugs,

and if they are out, for the £40 or so, maybe just get them replaced.

& raise it with Skoda UK, because you do not want the CTHE cars going the way that a fair few CAVE went.

Have fun.

goneoffSKi on a break,  ta ra.

• Like 1

This thread was really intended as a Serious attempt to help people having problems with their engines, 

getting them repaired or how others faired, and to let owners be aware of problems that servicing can help from happening.

Like do not ignore misfires, and do not just go swapping coils from cylinder to cylinder.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/291585-warning-on-spark-plugs-14-tsi-cave-vrs-check-the-spark-plugs

These are just 2 examples of quite a few of the vRS that owners are having the same issues with, and this same thing has been fo over 3 years now.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/327074-iss-fire-now-its-eaten-its-spark-plugs

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/325949-trouble-with-my-vrs-today

It is not just 1.4 TSI CAVE that can have Issues, so as well to be aware of the issue.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/324881-to-add-to-the-fuel-topic-my-car-will-not-run-on-95

Edited by goneoffSKi

I am not linking this for those tuning, but just because it is a Document that shows the issues that were known from 2009 -2012

Before the Introduction of the CTHE.

VW / Skoda /Audi /Seat have never published a similar list of possible issues, or even admitted to issues, so if you need Warranty work,

it is maybe worth asking a Skoda UK Customer Services manager why not.   or ask Alisdair Stewart, Brand Director , Skoda UK.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Re the Blue Redundant bulbs.

When i had a broken DRL / Sidelight,

I had the Bulbs in the Headlights working as Sidelights,

and the DRL / Sidelight unit changed to Spot Lights, (not Fogs.)

An Auto Electrician did it for me, and he said it was a PITA but only until he sussed it out,

But actually the Sidelights were hopeless when i used them as a Single Parking Light which i needed to do quite a lot.

So when the Spot Light was broken the first time, i had it changed back to the Standard Set up, with my DRL's Disabled and the Unit masked half over with Black Fablon.

that was to make the Side Light less annoying to people, (they even annoy me when i see them on another vRS)

and also that stopped another broken Glass.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Just normal pulling away and crawling or picking up speed.

Is it from 0-5 MPH in 1st,  ?

or the jerk to 2nd ,   & is it then up into 3rd and OK.

Has the DSG Had the Service Campaign,  has the Engine had a ECU Update,  

& has it got in 98 / 99 ron, good spark plugs and air filter?

The latest ECU Update for the engine being done is important if it has not been done.

Having it running correctly.

Then the DSG Service Campaign done so that you can have them check both the Mechatronic Control Unit as part of the Campaign,

but also the Clutch Packs can be checked while it is in there, if you think it is not performing correctly.

A technician should take your car out for a road test after the Service Campaign work.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Well my car is now on the oil consumption test iv just got it back also my car has a cold start misfire and the dealer said they can't find the fault I know exactly what it is the plugs need changing and how can I find out weather my dsg service has been done and the engine update thanks

Call Skoda Customer Services and ask,

or the Dealership should have checked your car if there are any outstanding Service Campaign Items.

The DSG Service Campaign only started in May, (letters did start going out to some registered keepers)

&

if a vRS has Heated seats there might be a Service Campaign for getting the replacement work done on them.

(the heated seat Service Campaign is important, because dangerous, but Dealers are missing that, and no letters going out.)

As to the Engine ECU Update, that should have been done at Servicing,

Plugged in a checked on the Diagnostics & any Software Updates or Enhancements being done is the Main Reason to use an approved Skoda / VW Dealer to do the servicing.

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back with less fuel coz there mecanic thought it would be a good idea to take my car for a 30mile blast and use a notch of fuel luckily for me I took pictures of my mileage once I'd parked my car up at the dealer, iv done 250miles and it's used 50% of its oil I phoned them and they said leave it till the oil light comes on

VW Produced the CTHE to resolve the problems with the CAVE.

Revised Internals and Engine Management (MAP)

they maybe never got it quite right for the first few months.

If you have a Oil Consumption test that then shows that the Manufacturing, Parts or Quality Control was not done correctly.

under the Warranty Skoda, VW. Seat & Audi need to replace the Engine with one of merchantable quality.

They know the errors are theirs.