Leaking Panoramic sunroof? Have a look here...

Yeti_Man

I only read the post from Newbie today, over the last weekend I removed the visor and grab handles and managed to get to the drains quite easily and i've got big hands and sausage fingers. When I checked inside the white rubber connectectors there was evidence of some kind of sticky layer that had dried out ( like a peel and stick affair ). I cleaned and restuck with a clear waterproof polymer builders adhesive and used tie raps as previously mentioned, but having done the job I feel jubilee clips or spring clips like the ones used in washing machines would be a better option as I dont feel the tie raps tightened enough.  Anyone tackled the rear ones without removing the headliner.

• Like 1

oh noo now it's the left hand side tube blocked!!

Was wondering why I had so much condensation on the inside and it was freezing overnight!

Lifted up the carpet and all wet like the drivers side was last year.

Got to find the wire that I used to unblock the tube (was right at the bottom but had to feed the wire from the top all the way down).

Blocked full of dirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have finally agreed a conclusion with Skoda. I had to pay over £450 (up front) to have the adjustment on my sunroof done. The vast amount of the cost being the investigation as to why is was leaking. After several conversations with the Skoda Warrentry Department I had to accept their best offer. So I have £250 to put towards a service or Skoda part etc. This means the cost to myself for the adjustment was about £200. Fortunately I am in the process of purchasing a New Yeti so would use a main dealer for the services initially; otherwise I would have been more disappointed than I am. One final point: having read the warrentry fully now, I thought the sunroof would be covered for 6 months from new. However this thought was corrected by the customer service department of Skoda Warrentry. Sunroofs are only covered for 3 months! It is a pity they don't have a simple method of checking if the sunroof does require adjustment as the job as adjustment itself would be less than an hours labour.

I'm never buying a car with a sunroof again!

The left hand side, after dismantling all the roof and side panels again just to find out it was not the drainage tube that was blocked.

It seems to come through the moulding just next to the tube outlet!! No idea how.

I put some silicon around but still leaking.

Unfortunately have come to the same opinion as Brit24 - not getting a future car with a sunroof. The other thing I did not appreciate until having a panoramic  sunroof is really only benefits those in the rear seats! mthe front seats you are not even aware it is there, unless you look for it.

• 8 months later...

Well I hope my roof stays watertight. Have had problem with not closing, goes to point of pushing down the fly screen then stops and opens again. 

Had garage look at it before the warranty ran out, they said they re set the control unit but they found nothing else.

But now the warranty has run out I have a creaking noise from

the roof but only when closed. If the roof is just tilted by pressing the rotating control the creaking stops.

Do I need to start a new thread for this ?    Creaking sunroof not Leaking sunroof :yawn:  

• 1 year later...

I appreciate that this is a bit of a rekindled thread but I have just been alerted to this very issue on my Superb 3.6 estate....damp carpet on passenger side (my drivers side as it is a lhd car). Massive thanks to OP for an excellent write up on how to resolve the issue....(can’t get to photos sadly though....)

Personally I love the panoramic roof (especially at night and winter driving...,) and it’s seemingly less of an issue on skoda than Audi’s and VW for some reason (thread/forum hunt) even though I imagine all parts are similar if not identical. Anyway, thanks again OP :cool:

Dave

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, SKOYET said:

Can't see the photos with Yeti_Man's original post which would be helpful and don't know why. Tried a PM, but Yeti_Man, can't accept messages.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

You can't see the photos because they were saved on Photobucket and without spending lots of money they won't share them anymore.
Yetiman hasn't been a member here since late 2015, so probably why you can't contact him.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My sunroof has been fully repaired but I want to inspect under carpet to make sure no electrical damage from damp. Anyone know of instructions to lift driver side carpet? I could not find any in search. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I would think it applies to all models. Yes they did fix it, but it cost just under £500 as it took a day to take it apart to check where it was leaking (even though I showed them) and then another day a week later to take it apart again and repair it. They also said initially it would be covered under guarantee, but once repaired said it wasn't! I did find that Skoda only guarantee their sunroofs for 3 months! After several complaints they gave me a voucher to use at a Skoda main dealer for £200. I reluctantly accepted this. Should have gone to an independent body repairer who would have done it in a couple of hours - about £50. My wife had no confidence in the sunroof afterwards so sold it and now have a new Yeti which does not have a sunroof

24 minutes ago, Chris123beth said:

I would think it applies to all models. Yes they did fix it, but it cost just under £500 as it took a day to take it apart to check where it was leaking (even though I showed them) and then another day a week later to take it apart again and repair it. They also said initially it would be covered under guarantee, but once repaired said it wasn't! I did find that Skoda only guarantee their sunroofs for 3 months! After several complaints they gave me a voucher to use at a Skoda main dealer for £200. I reluctantly accepted this. Should have gone to an independent body repairer who would have done it in a couple of hours - about £50. My wife had no confidence in the sunroof afterwards so sold it and now have a new Yeti which does not have a sunroof

I have mentioned once before on here, in the early 90s both my daughter and me had Favorits, mine was an estate hers a hatch, both with manual sun roof's.

Her roof was a PITA always leaked from the start, after failed dealer fixes Skoda sent a tech out! his fix was just as bad so Skoda changed her car, great!!

NO this one leaked!! so they then got a independent sunroof firm to fit a new one and that was ok.

Cant fault Skoda UK for their efforts and they made sure my daughter wasn't out of pocket due to the work and change of car and finance.

Had many Skoda's since but NO sunroofs.:biggrin:

Edited by Gomezz
spelling

Where is this "three month warranty on sunroof" thing coming from?  Skoda's warranty terms online make no mention of any such exclusion and anyone with experience of consumer affairs knows such a ludicrous issue would never stand up in court...? Can someone show me where it is in writing from Skoda please?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris123beth said:

I have never seen that mentioned in the past. Can you please provide a copy or a link to where this is stated?
Certainly other members have had their's repaired well after that period.

56 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

I have never seen that mentioned in the past. Can you please provide a copy or a link to where this is stated?

The only way I could think that to be true is perhaps with a used vehicle warranty.

31 minutes ago, Urrell said:

The only way I could think that to be true is perhaps with a used vehicle warranty.

Don't even think that's true. Even in the absence of any offered warranty a dealer is liable for a lot of faults within six months of purchase, especially if they are likely to have been developing or present on sale.

My Yeti is currently with the dealer for the third time with a leaking sunroof  that started in January. It's been in since the week before Christmas and before it went in this time I raised a Case Number with Skoda UK because a.  A new, "top of the range" L&K sunroof with drains checked and cleaned regularly shouldn't have started leaking at two years old, and b. This the third time for two plus weeks each time, so why hasn't the dealer, who I'm told is "liaising"  with Skoda "technical",  been able to identify and solve the problem?

I pulled the headliner down at the front myself when it first started and checked for the obvious (pinched hoses, leaking connectors, blocked drains etc) but it was none of those with water dripping from the plastic cassette onto the headliner, running down the A pillar covers and off the back of the instrument panel and fuse box onto the carpet and filling  both driver and passenger footwells. I managed to divert the leaks, dry it all out, sealed the sunroof from the outside and removed the fuse while waiting for a courtesy car to become available, but it's a pain.

Whether it's a design, manufacturing or installation fault and appreciating that the source of a water leak isn't always easy to find,  a sunroof isn't exactly "rocket science" and I'm not prepared to have it back until I know what it was, how it was fixed and guarantees it won't happen again, or perhaps "it's not fit for purpose".

Watch this space!  

• 5 weeks later...

Today I removed one front seat, due to water leakage of the panarama sunroof.

I had no time to completely remove the headliner, but it seems dat one drain rain hole was dirty blocked.

Removed the bottom floor covering and wet filt, dried it for approx 90 percent and reinstalled all removed items.

Unfortunately I now get and Airback error, since we had to disconnect all chair connectors, I assume I should have

removed the battery leads?:sadsmile:

So I need to have the error resetted at the Dealer, it will just take less than 15 minutes so cost should be bearable.

I will now closely monitor the drain holes to avoid future inner water leakage.

7 minutes ago, Polypenko said:

Today I removed one front seat, due to water leakage of the panarama sunroof.

I had no time to completely remove the headliner, but it seems dat one drain rain hole was dirty blocked.

Removed the bottom floor covering and wet filt, dried it for approx 90 percent and reinstalled all removed items.

Unfortunately I now get and Airback error, since we had to disconnect all chair connectors, I assume I should have

removed the battery leads?:sadsmile:

So I need to have the error resetted at the Dealer, it will just take less than 15 minutes so cost should be bearable.

I will now closely monitor the drain holes to avoid future inner water leakage.

Yes you're right, always remove the battery connectors before doing anything electrical on a VW or you end up with fault codes that have to be cleared. That and their stupid error messages drive me crazy with my Passat. Most recent was during a 1600 km trip when I started getting engine management light flashing followed by an urgent message saying something like "Engine Workshop Urgent", followed by some other lights that had me thinking the engine was about to explode. The cause? Two brake light bulbs not working....

Unfortunately Roofleakage still not solved.

Airbag error resetted at dealer.

Tomorrow I will remove the headliner enabling a closer look at the drainage connections and

take appropriate action to solve this issue.

This roofleakage  is driving me bonkers.:sadsmile:

Today removed the headliner and inspected the drainage tubes affixed to the panorama roof assembly.

(as was well)

However when I did a test running water over the glass roof I noticed water is leaking thru the plastic/metal

construction of the window frame.

After close examination could not find any crack but water is still leaking onto headliner, view limited time had to stop,

taped the roof to avoid water leaking thru.

Has anybody encountered the same problem, drainage holes open tubes affixed but water still sipping thru into the interiour

of the car?

My Yeti is 4.5 years old, so no warranty valid on the roofof car.

tks for feedback and possible solution suggestions/advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed it with a cheap dingi pump that blows and sucks and forced a rubber tube over nozzle so i could get it around the corner. Push your finger to get a better seal on the hole. Works well enough.

I filled up the sill so it didnt overflow to soften up what ever was inside the tube and then spent about 30 minutes pumping and sucking the tube until it finally ran clear. 

(this was how the water was getting in, not apparently the seal between the tray and the tube as this post thread opens with)

I had contemplated ripping the lining out, following the original thread suggestions, sending it in to be looked at, dry storing it, etc etc. Actually just comes down to mud in the tube and should probably be treated as a general maintenance job for these yetis.

Cant believe it was so simple all along. Absolutely drove me nuts.  

Save your money, use a two handle suck blow dingi pump and a rubber tube.

Fill the tray a little and see what the rate of flow out of the outlet holes. Dont over fill it. If you look,  the water is getting in by this point overflowing into the door pillar even if it actually still drains a bit just not well enough. Dont stop pumping until it is clear that the noise is coming out of the top as well with a gurgle.  Bit of bicarb was my next point of call.  has a habit of appearing to be fixed and then blocking again while you are doing it so persevere.

Dust settles in the tray, get damp, sets hard, flakes and then accumulates in the tubes. - Inevitable. 

Solved and for me at no cost at all. 

Have fun

IMG_0041.thumb.jpg.78219acfe886460fdb0a30a909317e8f.jpg