Hello, use an allen key and adjust the side buffers, move them up to the highest setting and that will stop the tailgate moving which causes the pressure problem, I had this on my mk2 VRS hatch, the problem has now been sorted.

I picked up my car on Friday and noticed this already..I'll hae a look at those stops in the morning and adjust...Hopefully that makes a diff

• Like 1

I picked up my car on Friday and noticed this already..I'll hae a look at those stops in the morning and adjust...Hopefully that makes a diff

Hey MidVRS - Our cars must be the same batch as I picked up my own on Friday, too!

I've adjusted the buffers on mine and noticed right away that the one on the left was on a higher setting than the one on the right. I equalled that out and it's improved the air flow somewhat. The allen key is in the spare wheel kit which is handy. I'm thinking about adjusting them that little bit more.

EDIT: also - the plastic sliders are very stiff so don't loosen the screw too much otherwise you might pull off the entire unit - which I nearly did!

Edited by foregonereality

Ok I've adjusted the sliders all of the way up - they've made an improvement. I'm wondering is there anything else that can be done as my ears still pop. I have to admit though that it's much more tolerable this time around.

They look ugly but I'm not going to be looking at them often, to be fair.

2janbsj.jpg

2cxix3k.jpg

Does anyone have any more tips to reduce this booming sound? I'm hoping those prototype buffers become a part of a recall - that is if they work.

Hey MidVRS - Our cars must be the same batch as I picked up my own on Friday, too!

I've adjusted the buffers on mine and noticed right away that the one on the left was on a higher setting than the one on the right. I equalled that out and it's improved the air flow somewhat. The allen key is in the spare wheel kit which is handy. I'm thinking about adjusting them that little bit more.

EDIT: also - the plastic sliders are very stiff so don't loosen the screw too much otherwise you might pull off the entire unit - which I nearly did!

I also picked my car up on Friday and have no issues at all with the booming, mines an estate though. Is this something that mainly affects hatch's or does it affect estates too? The buffers/stops on my estate are totally different to the ones on your hatch.

• Like 1

Cheers for that foregone...Mine is a company car and I think it had been registered a while back before I picked it up as its in the mid 17's....Only 13kms on the clock though so I'm happy enough that the Dealers looked after it while I waited for it to be released...

Thanks for the tip on the allen key placement, I'll try that tomorrow...I notice the boom only really happens at lower speeds so hopefully the adjustment will help

On an unrelated note, have you tried music from the SD card yet?...I notice all my tracks seem to 'fade in' at the start...Just wondering if its just me or have I checked an option wrong?

I've just bought Continental SportContact 5 and put my rear Continental sportscontact 2 on the front and 5's on the rear.

It's made a hell of a difference.  The booming noise has reduced in my estimation by 75% and road noise by at least 50%.

I hope it's not a coincidence!

Those of you who have experienced the booming, has it been there from when the car was new? Or did it come over time?

Ive done 800km in my the last two weeks, and havent had it yet. Am I in the clear?

I've just bought Continental SportContact 5 and put my rear Continental sportscontact 2 on the front and 5's on the rear.

It's made a hell of a difference. The booming noise has reduced in my estimation by 75% and road noise by at least 50%.

Continental SC2s are awful tyres, I'm not surprised you noticed a difference.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Not that I really feel my car suffers from "The BOOM" the rear suspension is harsh and noisy however, since my child likes singing along to the radio we've altered the fade of the speakers in that the rear speakers are twice as loud as the front, this not only eliminates a great deal of the noise but also, stops our child from earwigging in on our conversations, a Win Win me thinks.

• Like 1

It's made a hell of a difference.  The booming noise has reduced in my estimation by 75% and road noise by at least 50%.

This is good to hear, as I am seriously considering changing the SC2s on my estate due to the noise, even though they have only done 8k miles and still have plenty of tread left. I was going to go for the Goodyears, but may now go for the SC5s. Where did you source them from and did you get a good price ?

Gotta wonder whether the pressures are the same ?, thats a considerable effect.

Those of you who have experienced the booming, has it been there from when the car was new? Or did it come over time?

Ive done 800km in my the last two weeks, and havent had it yet. Am I in the clear?

I noticed it over certain surfaces within the first hundred or so km. Then it went away on it's own and hasn't come back at 8k.

My car had it until 1000 kms. It didn't come back until i remove the parcel shelf at 17000 kms. 

I've run SC5s and F1 AS2's - go for the Goodyears :) a slightly better tyre IMHO

Can you clarify why the Goodyears are a better tyre i.e. in terms of dry grip, wet grip, comfort, noise, etc ?

I have to admit - after adjusting the buffers to the top and playing a little with the rubber mounts on the hatch itself I've found a happy medium in the scheme of things. 

That said - if Skoda put those new buffers on the MY16s I'm going straight in for replacements..!

That said - if Skoda put those new buffers on the MY16s I'm going straight in for replacements..!

Has there been a change in what the buffers look like?

I notice that the Hatch & Combi ones look different.

Ok I've adjusted the sliders all of the way up - they've made an improvement. I'm wondering is there anything else that can be done as my ears still pop. I have to admit though that it's much more tolerable this time around.

They look ugly but I'm not going to be looking at them often, to be fair.

2janbsj.jpg

2cxix3k.jpg

Does anyone have any more tips to reduce this booming sound? I'm hoping those prototype buffers become a part of a recall - that is if they work.

I just did this on my two week old vRS TDi hatch and it has made a huge difference...There is a torx wrench in where the spare wheel and jack/wheel brace are (funny that..its like they know its an issue and have supplied a tool to fix it!) so I actually took the buffer stops off completely  and shifted them to the highest setting before putting them back on...Took the car for a test spin and the sound is completely gone...Its like a different car....Now if I can just get my buzzing front speaker fixed I'd be sorted!...Well that and the funny volume changes and bluetooth hanging up calls but they are minor niggles to an otherwise great car

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Picked up my vrs TDI on Thursday of last week, have noticed the "boom" effect over every road imperfection, of which there are many near me, and also over distances of 20 mins plus i start to get muffled ears and feel a little sick. Interestingly this doesn't happen to other people in the car although they can hear the "boom" but they dont see it as a problem.

I am meeting the dealer principle this week to demonstrate to him but i am massively concerned about the future of my and my vrs. i simply cannot continue with this feeling of sickness when driving it but i dont know if this is something they will try and fix. any suggestions on how to play it with the dealer?

(its a 3 year pcp deal btw)

Oh $%^&. I noticed the booming when I test drove a year old car three months ago. I was hoping it would have been fixed by now. Is yours an estate or hatchback? I'm expecting my new SE TSI estate next month.

Picked up my vrs TDI on Thursday of last week, have noticed the "boom" effect over every road imperfection, of which there are many near me, and also over distances of 20 mins plus i start to get muffled ears and feel a little sick. Interestingly this doesn't happen to other people in the car although they can hear the "boom" but they dont see it as a problem.

I am meeting the dealer principle this week to demonstrate to him but i am massively concerned about the future of my and my vrs. i simply cannot continue with this feeling of sickness when driving it but i dont know if this is something they will try and fix. any suggestions on how to play it with the dealer?

Where about are you?

I am also still getting the boom despite moving up the bump stops, if you get anywhere pls let us know. I am considering adding dampening mats and foam to the boot floor, rear wheel arches and rear floor to see if this helps.