Wing mirror joystick broken?

Hi guys

Let my mum drive my fabia today for the first time. She was just adjusting the mirrors and the little joystick thing snapped off. She wasnt being rough with it or anything.

Any else heard of this happening? Its only 6 or so months old, so it should be covered under warranty would you of thought?

Iv had a look at the switch, but im unsure whether its a door card off job, or it just unclips somehow out of the door?

Its from lookers in stockport, i popped in on my way back, but the service department isnt open until tomorrow, so ill ring them then.

Cheers people :).

Oh thanks. I didnt return that when i did a search.

No warranty on plastic? Hmm. Sounds like i might have a battle on my hands tomorrow then.

The cars only done 4000 miles and its not like its constantly swapping between drivers.

The words 'fit for purpose' spring to mind.

Think iv got much chance? Ill let you know how i get on tomorrow, and just how the customer service is at lookers.

Cheers.

Went down today for someone to confirm its broken, then to start telling me how to replace it. I obviously told him i wont be doing anything, as its 8 months old, 4000 miles and in new condition. It must he a faulty part.

So after a while he decided to get somebody to ring me back on wed/thu that would have the authority to decide if its warranty.

Bit of a palava really, but as long as it gets fixed im not bothered.

Ill keep you updated

If they or anyone says no Warranty on Plastic, ask them to show you where that is written in a Warranty Exclusion.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

Page 6

If you break something by being hashy, then thats that, you need to pay to fix it,

if its of poor design or manufacturing then that is a case to argue.

george

Thanks, i read through that last night and couldnt find anything saying that.

My only downfall is that i cant prove it wasnt me that broke it by being rough or whatever. She only moved it gently, so this isnt the case, however proving it may be difficult.

I dont want to be a pain, but also dont see why i should pay for something that wasnt my fault.

Just have to see i guess lol.

• Like 1

I always find Skoda UK to be most helpful if you have any issues. A big headache for you is small fries to them in the grand scheme, if the dealer is no help they often help out as 'good will'

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Think iv got much chance? Ill let you know how i get on tomorrow, and just how the customer service is at lookers.

Cheers.

I can tell you now what the service is like at Lookers, but all the words would be beeped.

Try waiting 4 hours for a heater resistor fault to be diagnosed then having to come back sometime, maybe the same week to get it replaced. A. We already knew what it was because it happened before, and B. we took it in to VASStech and they knew what it was by us telling them and they got the part the next day and fitted it in less than half an hour.

Also Lookers didn't fit all the screws back after the first time.

Oh, and they wanted us to pay for the second part even though the first one was still under guarantee.

Even VASStech only charged labour and sent the first one back.

Edited by Outofthi5world

Oh dear. That is shocking. They dont seem to believe you when you say its broken.

I told 4 people on the phone yesterday morning that its broken, yet i still had to pop in for some bloke behind a desk to tell me its broken, then when i questioned how you change it, he began yanking the handles saying 'one of these will come off somehow'. That didnt fill me with confidence. Then when i said about them doing it under warranty, all of a sudden he worked on the Renault side of the branch and will get a Skoda man to ring me when he gets back.

So yeah, overall. Not that professional lol.

Oh dear. That is shocking. They dont seem to believe you when you say its broken.

I told 4 people on the phone yesterday morning that its broken, yet i still had to pop in for some bloke behind a desk to tell me its broken, then when i questioned how you change it, he began yanking the handles saying 'one of these will come off somehow'. That didnt fill me with confidence. Then when i said about them doing it under warranty, all of a sudden he worked on the Renault side of the branch and will get a Skoda man to ring me when he gets back.

So yeah, overall. Not that professional lol.

Yeah, we went into VASStech and all the people there used to work for Massingbirds (was just over the road from where Lookers is now but closed down years ago) and then went on to Lookers but got fed up and then moved to VASStech. When we said that they hadn't even put the screws back in they told us to go back and ask for Chris (I think it was chris anyway) the workshop manager and we saw the same cocky, arrogant arse that we'd seen before, asked him for chris (?) and he said that was him, never got the screws back so it's now screwless.

The car was a bargain, 56 reg 2.0 Jetta for £11.5K in 2009, couldn't find one cheaper on the internet either when we looked out of interest.

But after sales service and quality of work from the workshop is shocking.

Oh really? Thats terrible. Makes me think twice about even leaving the car with them

Little things like missing screws etc etc really do my head in. The fabia may not be the most expensive or best car in the world, but to me, its alot of moneys worth of car and i like to look after my things. Ill have to check over the car afterwards (if they even end up doing the work) and make sure its all as itwas. Cheers for the heads up.

Im actually quite looking forward to them ringing me back. Hes gonna get a surprise if he thinks hes gettng out of doing it FOC easily.

I even thought about using this forum in my favour if it comes to it. Im sure it would hurt their sales if they get too many bad reviews on an owners forum like this.

I rang them today and spoke to a different bloke with alot better attitude. All he said was 'it shouldnt just fall to bits at 8 months old, so ill sort that under warranty no problem' without even seeing it.

Thats better. Much more like it. Im booked in for sat 23rd to get the new switch fitted.

Cheers for all your advice guys. I guess it just depends who you speak to

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I had this problem with a mirror switch couple of weeks ago. Both the dealer and Skoda UK deny ever hearing about this issue. The switch was not broken by anything other than normal use the car is some 18 months old, the dealer refused any goodwill.

If you have had a problem with this switch could you please add a comment so we can judge if these are isolated events or a problem with the switch design? This may prevent someone else having to pay a dealer to replace it.

I had this problem with a mirror switch couple of weeks ago. Both the dealer and Skoda UK deny ever hearing about this issue. The switch was not broken by anything other than normal use the car is some 18 months old, the dealer refused any goodwill.

If you have had a problem with this switch could you please add a comment so we can judge if these are isolated events or a problem with the switch design? This may prevent someone else having to pay a dealer to replace it.

Hi mate.

Yeah i dont mind adding a comment. How would i go about doing this?

Skoda UK should of heard of it before, as mine did it, and as im aware my dealer contacted them regardless.

So you ended up paying then? How much was it?

Id of been tempted to look into trading standards, as it clearly wasnt fit for purpose in both our cases.

Edit: thinking about it. Cant you just link them to this thread? This thread also links to another case of it happening, a few posts down.

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk2/vehicle_electrics/electrical_system/lights_lamps_switches_inside_anti-theft_system/switches_on_dash_panel_in_the_centre_console_and_in_doors/removing_and_installing_the_mirror_adjustment_switch/

They are about £46, I remember them being about £36 a couple of years ago, it seems Skoda parts are increasing a lot in price recently.

Edited by xman

Thats a lot. Didnt realise they were that much.

Plus its a door card off job i think

Id certainly not pay it without causing a fuss haha.

Hi phone call from the dealer today offering to refer to Skoda UK for an opinion as to a goodwill payment but still nothing offered from them.

Not optimistic, they still maintain despite viewing this thread it's not a common occurrence and claim they've only ever sold two switches and not replaced any under warranty. It cost £74 for the dealer to replace, it's going back in January as I now have a rattle from the door possibly because they didn't put it back together correctly. 

Does seem to be a rare event though? There has certainly been nothing that would cause this to break.

A change of dealer for future servicing is likely after this. 

Hi phone call from the dealer today offering to refer to Skoda UK for an opinion as to a goodwill payment but still nothing offered from them.

Not optimistic, they still maintain despite viewing this thread it's not a common occurrence and claim they've only ever sold two switches and not replaced any under warranty. It cost £74 for the dealer to replace, it's going back in January as I now have a rattle from the door possibly because they didn't put it back together correctly.

Does seem to be a rare event though? There has certainly been nothing that would cause this to break.

A change of dealer for future servicing is likely after this.

Thats ridiculous. If theyre claiming not to have replaced any under warranty then they either dont have sufficient information regarding their warranty claims, or are lieing.

Mine was done under warranty by Lookers skoda in stockport last year. All under warranty too, the part, the fitting, everything. Feel free to PM me if you want give my mobile number to them, and I'll give them all the info, reg etc so they can see your case isnt the first.

You shouldn't have to pay £75 for it, its a manufacturing default. Mine just came off. No undue force, only just enough to turn the switch, and it snapped off.

What years your car mate? Do you know the build month? Or when it was registered?

I had the misfortune to get acquainted with one of these switches last week.  When removing a door panel I pulled it a little too hard which resulted in half the switch staying in the door panel and the other half staying attached to the wiring loom, with some very small bits of it scattered over the workshop floor.  I found most of it and had to replace some missing springs, but it did eventually work.