Sat Nav firmware/maps versions

sez

Don't know if it varies but dealer I purchased used car from wanted to charge me £195 to update to v9, when I had asked specifically to check maps were up to date before purchasing, and they didn't do this. Hence my complaint to Skoda UK.

Sarah

I am afraid so.  Some dealers are better than others though, and will do it for £50 or so and some will do it for a lot less alongside other work, so definitely worth asking the question.  I know mine has been more accommodating with members who have bought from them for example.

I only got around to emailing Skoda UK recently. This is the reply...

"Our Technical Support Team have confirmed that version 10 maps will work with older software."

I have also been advised the V10 maps should be with the dealers around the end of this month.

Sarah

V10 at the end of the month? Its been around for quite a while and yes it does work with older software. 195 from the stealers? Wow

• 2 weeks later...
I have been trying for the past 5 months to get an update for my Amundsen+ sat nav for my Skoda Superb 1st reg 'OCT '12. I know that the maps were at least 1 year out of date when the car was manufactured - now nearly 3 years. After being assured during these 5 months that an update could & would happen I have been told today that there is no update and there never has been an update of the maps for the Amundsen+. The Customer relations manager who I had a frank discussion with was not prepared to ask the IT dept if A) someone was working on or is scheduled to work on the updates OR B) if in fact the Amudsen+ sat nav can be updated at all. I suggested that the problem was with the flash drive not being able to cope with the update swap of data because it's too small. Again he would not ask the IT dept if that was the case. And that if he did ask he would not get an answer (amazing!). I said that the sat nav was not fit for purpose ie it is broken because it can not be updated and like any component that could not be repaired it should be replaced with a sat nav system (like the normal Amundsen or Columbus) that Skoda now use and have regular 6 monthly updates for. He was having none of that. I asked who I should complain to now - the managing director? He said that all complaint mail for the MD comes through him so I can get no further with Skoda and have to take it up with Motor Codes or the like.

Does anyone know anything about updates for the Amundsen+?

Thanks

Neilmur

• 2 months later...

I have been trying for the past 5 months to get an update for my Amundsen+ sat nav for my Skoda Superb 1st reg 'OCT '12. I know that the maps were at least 1 year out of date when the car was manufactured - now nearly 3 years. After being assured during these 5 months that an update could & would happen I have been told today that there is no update and there never has been an update of the maps for the Amundsen+.

Does anyone know anything about updates for the Amundsen+?

Hi, that is pure BS from a dealer just not knowing what they talk about! There are updates available, I have just updated mine to the 2014 version in my Amundsen+, believe it presents itself as version 0055. I had to buy mine, found a dealer at eBay and it worked flawlessly ... unfortunately this specific dealer increased the price by €40 since I bought mine.

Good luck!

Edited by AndersNordh

Hello

On my Skoda Superb Columbus I have

Delivery part number 3T0035680E

HW-Version H70

SW-Version 4120

West Europe, Navteq

Map Version HDD 7690

Upgrade options?

Hello Individual - you don't need to upgrade the firmware (labelled 'SW-Version 4120') as there's really nothing to gain.

However, your maps (7690) are only version 8.0 and version 10.0 (8048) has been available for about six months now.

I'm sure you could find a file to download now you know what you are looking for.

It then needs burning to a DVD (at slowest possible speed for best reliability) and inserting into Columbus and following the prompts.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been still chasing for my update to v10 maps. Skoda UK informed me last month that the updates were only just going out to the dealers. The dealer I bought the car from has agreed that I can get mine updated at my local dealer, rather than driving approx a 200 mile round trip to get v10 maps from the original dealer. I have been informed my local dealer will charge me £20 but the original dealer will then reimburse me. So as long as this all happens, I will be happy with the outcome, even if it has taken so long to get to this stage.

Having contacted my local dealer on 6th June, they confirmed they are still waiting for v10 maps. Sounds like it should be imminent.

So despite the v10 maps being available for about 6 months, it sounds like the dealers are only just getting the updated v10 maps in now.

Sarah

Hello Individual - you don't need to upgrade the firmware (labelled 'SW-Version 4120') as there's really nothing to gain.

However, your maps (7690) are only version 8.0 and version 10.0 (8048) has been available for about six months now.

I'm sure you could find a file to download now you know what you are looking for.

It then needs burning to a DVD (at slowest possible speed for best reliability) and inserting into Columbus and following the prompts.

Good luck.

So my system supports v10?

I've heard v9 is the latest map my Columus supports...

Edited by Individual

I have seen that written in these forums before but I can't confirm that it's true - maybe someone else can?

I believe it maybe because v10.0 maps are a little larger than previous versions and unless you have the 40GB HDD they may not fit.

Hello

On my Skoda Superb II Columbus I have: 

Delivery part number: 3T0035680A

HW-Version: H42

SW-Version: 2724

East Europe

Map Version 8049 v10 

Upgrade options? Mainly FW, maps are new.

THX

I have seen that written in these forums before but I can't confirm that it's true - maybe someone else can?

I believe it maybe because v10.0 maps are a little larger than previous versions and unless you have the 40GB HDD they may not fit.

They fit on my 30 gb with adjusted map partition to 35% of hdd. I think it can still technically fit on the 25% partition of a 30gb hdd but some hard drives have difficulty copying the map file as spare space is tight.

Hello

On my Skoda Superb II Columbus I have:

Delivery part number: 3T0035680A

HW-Version: H42

SW-Version: 2724

East Europe

Map Version 8049 v10

Upgrade options? Mainly FW, maps are new.

THX

You can go to at least 4120 at www.rnsfirmware.com, but will need to reinstall maps. There are some 5 series firmwares out there you can use too and although I'm not sure of sources for those, I'm sure others can help.

They fit on my 30 gb with adjusted map partition to 35% of hdd. I think it can still technically fit on the 25% partition of a 30gb hdd but some hard drives have difficulty copying the map file as spare space is tight.

So what will happen if it doesnt work?

Will my Columbus stop working, or just dismiss the upgrade, and work as normal?

@Individual

Looking at your part number I suspect you have a 40GB HDD anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

I have read it keeps cycling and fails to complete and then you are left with a corrupted map on the HDD partition which needs to be reloaded.  An answer would then be to install a firmware with the altered partitions so that there is enough room, and to reload the map on that.

Adam