7 Spd DSG recall?

Sparkly

Just seen a post (not so usefully) put up in the Octy III sub forum that there is a VAG recall on these boxes.

I thought ours were 'sealed for life' units so unsure what the implication would be, if we are even included.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295035-major-vag-group-recall-7-speed-dsg/

Not sure if this is scaremongering or misinformation yet, but as the OP didn't share with the full forum thought I would bring it across here.

EDIT: Disregard sorry, we have DQ200 dry DSG7's, thread must concern DQ500 wet DSG 7's.

the DQ250 dry clutch 7-speed, hjas been described by a skoda tech, as one of the best DSG gearboxes, there are no inherant problems..... I have done 65k in these cars so far with only ONE minor glitch (that sorted itself and never happened again) in all that time!

however if I keep my car (seeming more and more likley) at 100k and aprrox 4.5 years, I may treat it to a new clutch pack and oil change, just to be on the safe side!

however if I keep my car (seeming more and more likley) at 100k and aprrox 4.5 years, I may treat it to a new clutch pack and oil change, just to be on the safe side!

You mean at your own expenses? Otherwise I don't see how such a "procactive" action could be carried out under warranty.

Also, from what I've read and as Sparkly wrote, those boxes are filled with oil, for life. Am I missing something? Not saying anything is bulletproof etc. but thought it was a part we should not worry about!

Edited by newbie69

You mean at your own expenses? Otherwise I don't see how such a "procactive" action could be carried out under warranty.

Also, from what I've read and as Sparkly wrote, those boxes are filled with oil, for life. Am I missing something? Not saying anything is bulletproof etc. but thought it was a part we should not worry about!

yes at my own expense, it will be out of warrenty at 60,000 miles....

Its in the Daily Mail now that all DQ200 boxes need to have their special synthetic oil swapped for normal mineral oil so it must be true...

I wouldn't be surprised if the DSG-7 box made it onto the Daily Mail's list of "things that cause you to get cancer"....

http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/scare-stories/the-daily-mails-list-of-things-that-give-you-cancer-from-a-to-z.html/

• Like 2

Parkers are reporting this too, just got an email this morning.

" Volkswagon has issued a recall of 2.6 million vehicles worldwide over reliability concerns. It is one of the biggest recalls in the company's history.

The recall relates to potential problems with the company's 7 speed automatic DSG gearbox fitted to various models.

Some Audi, Skoda and Seat models are also affected as they carry the same components. In the UK 60,000 cars are affected in total. Many more have been recalled overseas, particularly in China.

The gearbox issues refer to electrical faults that may occur in slow traffic in hot weather. It can be rectified by changing the gearbox oil from synthetic to mineral oil at a VW dealer workshop. No faults have been reported in the UK but the company have issued  a worldwide voluntary recall nontheless.

Volkswagon will inform owners if their car is affected, although if in doubt owners are advised to contact their local dealership for advise."

So I ask...what is a "voluntary recall" if VW are to contact everyone involved and...will owners of cars such as mine which was bought outside the group be contacted too? Does anyone know how these recalls work??

Edit:Just seen people are saying our are 'dry' gearboxes and not affected :rofl: 

Of course our gearboxes are not completely 'dry' but have much less oil than the older 6 speed 'wet' gearbox. So whats the score I ask??

Edited by horkin

The media do get carried away with the terms 'Worldwide' & 'Global'. a bit like the 'World Series'. 'World Title' etc http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295041-vw-17-million-recall-7-speed-dsg

if you thought you had a vehicle that is part of a re-call,

a phone call to Skoda UK would tell you if your vehicle was one involved. Unlikely in this case since its not a Worldwide or Global recall, but why not call, then you will know.

george

• Like 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507401/Volkswagen-recall-cars-worldwide-faulty-gearbox-light-fuses.html

The Daily Fail seems to say more,

30,000 in the UK.   It would be a lot clearer if VW/Skoda  VAG were to actually post Up to Date Websites,

and say who has what and what needs what doing.

All confused with Amarock Fuel Leaks, DSG & Oil, & Fuses and lights.