Guide : How to remove EGR valve and how to fit the group buy EGR delete pipe

Dann2707

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted mine yesterday using this quide... Awesome guide helped me alot im lucky to have tiny hands so could get my hands in there.. Worst part was undoin the 2 6mm allen key bolts under it think it would of been easier to just undo the 2 other nuts then wriggle the whole unit out but cheers for a awesome guide. ????????

Fitted mine yesterday using this quide... Awesome guide helped me alot im lucky to have tiny hands so could get my hands in there.. Worst part was undoin the 2 6mm allen key bolts under it think it would of been easier to just undo the 2 other nuts then wriggle the whole unit out but cheers for a awesome guide. ????????

You can't do that, because you can't get to the bottom bolt holding the egr valve to the inlet manifold without undoing the egr pipe and moving it over a bit :)

You can't do that, because you can't get to the bottom bolt holding the egr valve to the inlet manifold without undoing the egr pipe and moving it over a bit :)

Yea didnt think of that haha... Well its done now dont really notice any difference at all only when you turn it off the engine just sounds like its knocking and abit louder but can live with that... Just need get it mapped now. Edited by clgale88
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest BigJase88

Just to help people....

You do not need to remove that corrugated pipe from the egr valve to get the whole lot out

All you need to do is remove the egr valve (3 allen head cap screws)

And remove corrugated pipe at the manifold.

This allows you to remove the whole shabang in a oner! Saves farting around trying to get those 2 cap screws under the egr which are a ball ache

Edited by BigJase88

• 3 weeks later...

I cant believe people still think removing the EGR is a performance upgrade, and its been made a sticky topic too!

Stop wasting your time and money, clean it but dont bin it!

Ask any (good) remapper, they will probably laugh or swear at you if you remove your EGR. Leave it on but let the remapper alter its cycle if required.

This article explains things better than i can.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/05/dont-block-or-remove-the-egr-valve-its-saving-you-money/

Edited by TheWifesVRS

I cant believe people still think removing the EGR is a performance upgrade, and its been made a sticky topic too!

Stop wasting your time and money, clean it but dont bin it!

Ask any (good) remapper, they will probably laugh or swear at you if you remove your EGR. Leave it on but let the remapper alter its cycle if required.

This article explains things better than i can.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/05/dont-block-or-remove-the-egr-valve-its-saving-you-money/

Pretty certain that topic is on spark ignition engines?

I disabled mine and it made the engine pick up much better in the lower revs / setting off etc.

• Like 1

I used to work for Protune ecu remapping, the master mapper guy there (johhny loder ex superchips) used to pull his hair out every time i told him the spec of the customers car, when remapping, if it included an EGR delete or a decat. He had a go at me as id removed the EGR on my wifes VRS, id removed it as it was spewing oil. It made bugger all difference in power/ pickup, so i got a used one and fitted it. Its one of these performance upgrades whose results are all in your head. 

taken from myturbodiesel.com wiki:

• If you are thinking of removing the EGR cooler only so that the intake charge is hotter and in theory, less prone to carbon buildup, this defeats a large portion of EGR effectiveness since emissions and temperatures will be higher without the cooler. The EGR cooler also helps warm up the engine by giving heat from the exhaust to the engine. This results in a faster warm up, less engine wear, and better fuel economy due to faster engine warm up.
  • There are only small mileage or power gains from disabling the EGR system since it is greatest at partial throttle and idle. If you are removing the EGR for reduced pumping losses and the small power or economy gains, bigger and cleaner gains can be made elsewhere.
  • Also, the pumpe duse cars use an O2 sensor to regulate the EGR system much more efficiently than non pumpe duse cars. Even newer technologies on the common rail system cars allow more precise fuel delivery and burn, resulting in less intake clogging.
  • I have seen comments that suggest the ingestion of the sooty EGR exhaust gasses combined with diesel piston blowby can cause oil contamination. This is false since the soot gets burned in the combustion chamber. Diesel engine oil is also formulated to hold soot and combustion byproducts and the engine will have sooty oil whether it has an EGR system or not. Engine oil quality and engine maintenance is a much greater factor in proper lubrication than the presence of an EGR system.
  • Haha 1

I used to work for Protune ecu remapping, the master mapper guy there (johhny loder ex superchips) used to pull his hair out every time i told him the spec of the customers car, when remapping, if it included an EGR delete or a decat. He had a go at me as id removed the EGR on my wifes VRS, id removed it as it was spewing oil. It made bugger all difference in power/ pickup, so i got a used one and fitted it. Its one of these performance upgrades whose results are all in your head. 

taken from myturbodiesel.com wiki:

• If you are thinking of removing the EGR cooler only so that the intake charge is hotter and in theory, less prone to carbon buildup, this defeats a large portion of EGR effectiveness since emissions and temperatures will be higher without the cooler. The EGR cooler also helps warm up the engine by giving heat from the exhaust to the engine. This results in a faster warm up, less engine wear, and better fuel economy due to faster engine warm up.
  • There are only small mileage or power gains from disabling the EGR system since it is greatest at partial throttle and idle. If you are removing the EGR for reduced pumping losses and the small power or economy gains, bigger and cleaner gains can be made elsewhere.
  • Also, the pumpe duse cars use an O2 sensor to regulate the EGR system much more efficiently than non pumpe duse cars. Even newer technologies on the common rail system cars allow more precise fuel delivery and burn, resulting in less intake clogging.
  • I have seen comments that suggest the ingestion of the sooty EGR exhaust gasses combined with diesel piston blowby can cause oil contamination. This is false since the soot gets burned in the combustion chamber. Diesel engine oil is also formulated to hold soot and combustion byproducts and the engine will have sooty oil whether it has an EGR system or not. Engine oil quality and engine maintenance is a much greater factor in proper lubrication than the presence of an EGR system.

I have absolutely no idea why you quoted that as surely it further more backs up my side of things?

It definitely removed a hesitation lower down, absolute fact. 

I don't think it adds much power, but it helped my fuel economy definitely. 

For my dissertation I tested the effects of a blockage in the inlet manifold due to the EGR valve on a compression ignition engine so had to do a 5 page literature review on EGR by studying about a million journal articles from myscience etc etc.

Journal articles, published work. Not words from some keyboard basher on a forum (not aimed at anyone here) and on every article it showed signs that the EGR increased fuel consumption on diesel engines. Petrol engines showed fuel economy improvements however.

http://www.briskoda....affects-engine/

And also, sometimes working at a place like there the people are usually set in their ways. My mechanic who has been servicing cars for god knows how many years told me the other day that by removing the back boxes does not increase horse power on my car... 

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea why you quoted that as surely it further more backs up my side of things?

which parts exactly?  :wonder:

With regards to soot build up/blockages we dont suffer from this in our country, havent for a long time since ultra low sulphur fuels came along.

At Protune remapping there are over 40 agents, all qualified to carry out mechanical work as well as straight remaps, they have the capability to remove EGRs but they wont, even though its easy money.

I think this is a market driven thing, its an easy 'mod' anyone can do it. 

Its amazing how many people think they know better than the vehicle manufacturers. The Audi le mans cars all have EGRs as do the endurance racing BMs. Just because something appears on a forum doesnt make it gospel, a lot of the time its just the exact same age old market driven bad info being recirculated..

Aside from all this there's an obvious environmental issue. EGR reduces NOx emissions that cause smog and costs billions annually from illnesses deaths and environmental problems. The promotion of increased NOx emissions shouldnt really be allowed on a respected public forum in this day and age IMO.

Edited by TheWifesVRS
  • Haha 1

which parts exactly?  :wonder:

With regards to soot build up/blockages we dont suffer from this in our country, havent for a long time since ultra low sulphur fuels came along.

At Protune remapping there are over 40 agents, all qualified to carry out mechanical work as well as straight remaps, they have the capability to remove EGRs but they wont, even though its easy money.

I think this is a market driven thing, its an easy 'mod' anyone can do it. 

Its amazing how many people think they know better than the vehicle manufacturers. The Audi le mans cars all have EGRs as do the endurance racing BMs. Just because something appears on a forum doesnt make it gospel, a lot of the time its just the exact same age old market driven bad info being recirculated..

Aside from all this there's an obvious environmental issue. EGR reduces NOx emissions that cause smog and costs billions annually from illnesses deaths and environmental problems. The promotion of increased NOx emissions shouldnt really be allowed on a respected public forum in this day and age IMO.

I literally have no words as to how silly you're making yourself look. Did you even read what I said properly or are you too high up on your high horse to see from there?

We don't suffer from soot build up because of the fuels we use? Are you actually aware of how the EGR system works? It's got absolutely nothing to do with the fuel we use haha. It's a combination of the carbon from the exhaust gasses sticking to the oil that is emitted from the crank case ventilation system, a process that can't be avoided due to the types of fuel we use.

As said, these are published research papers and journal articles, not forum talk.

Next you'll be telling me there's barely any soot and carbon in exhaust gases! And that the sticky veins in our VNT turbos is all in our heads too? 

I suggest you get back to the classroom matey because you're hideously incorrect and it's ruining a thread that's hopefully helped lots of people and you've come along spouting absolute crap in here.

• Like 1

Forget it man, you need to re educate yourself.  The soot comes from  poor quality fuel.

And as for saying "I literally have no words as to how silly you're making yourself look." you clearly havent read and understood anything ive posted. 

This kinda says it all about how educated and experienced you are.

My mechanic who has been servicing cars for god knows how many years told me the other day that by removing the back boxes does not increase horse power on my car... "

over and out.

• Haha 1

Forget it man, you need to re educate yourself.  The soot comes from  poor quality fuel.

And as for saying "I literally have no words as to how silly you're making yourself look." you clearly havent read and understood anything ive posted. 

This kinda says it all about how educated and experienced you are.

My mechanic who has been servicing cars for god knows how many years told me the other day that by removing the back boxes does not increase horse power on my car... "

over and out.

Carbon is present in the exhaust gas regardless of what fuel you use. You claimed that build up in the inlet wasn't a problem in this country.. I can guarantee that if I made a thread asking for peoples dirty egr valves you would be too busy to reply after making that sweeeeeet humble pie haha.

Have a read of my build thread mate http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/292840-daniels-seat-ibiza-sport-pd130/

And tell me i'm not experienced haha

I use my mechanic for things where I don't have the tools example clutch change for the engine crane and 10,000 ton press for the pressing in of wheel bearings, wheel tracking but as seen in my thread I do everything else myself. I'm in my third year of Automotive Engineering at University so i'm not exactly out of it .

Anyway, I am not normally the one for playing who's **** is bigger i'm just not prepared to be talked down by a 41 year old who's set solid in their ways.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

EGR delete does not improve response / bhp

Possibly a coked up car going from a tarred up EGR to a delete kit will notice a power increase however.

The EGR delete isn't a performance mod, its more of a maintenance / prevenative mod to stop the inlet manifold clogging up.

I prefer the other option. OEM and MOT legal. I just clean the EGR out every 10k miles. If you do it when you do a service it requires very very little cleaning whatsoever.

And best part it is free... Well if you have the cleaning products