Guide : How to remove EGR valve and how to fit the group buy EGR delete pipe

Dann2707

Guest BigJase88

And to confirm the black 'tar' that clogs up things in the EGR / inlet manifold comes from oil passing from the turbo into the intercooler system. Partly through the engine crank case vent into the turbo air intake.

This is fine in itself. Until it meets the reconned exhaust gasses (EGR valve)

Oil mixed with exhaust soot = black sticky tar

And to confirm the black 'tar' that clogs up things in the EGR / inlet manifold comes from oil passing from the turbo into the intercooler system. Partly through the engine crank case vent into the turbo air intake.

Other way around.

Barely any oil comes from the turbo seals dude! 

Edited by Dann2707

Guest BigJase88

You will get a bit.

And once the ccv oil enters the air intake where do you think that goes?

Through the turbo also (thats where the air intake connects to)

Through the turbo yes, but it doesn't come from the turbo? I have no idea what point your making mate!

I know if I was to take my 90 degree bend off now to EGR delete there will be no oil present on the walls from the turbo itself what so ever due to the CCV mod. Infact i'm going to do it now. 

Unless your turbo is dying and the seals are seriously leaking it won't even make it up to the inlet, especially to cause the gummed up EGR / intake.

Guest BigJase88

Ask yourself this question

At what mileage did you buy your car?

How much oil was there in the intercooler system?

And since you have done the CCV mod how many miles have you done?

Your talking about accumulating this oil both from the ccv and from the turbo over a matter of 60-70k miles maybe at a guess?

You have had the ccv mod for say 10k?? Maybe 20k?

So you have reduced half of the oil into the intercooler setup. But your also nowhere near the mileage of the pre fettling.

Give it another 50k miles and i bet you have a bit of oil in the intercooler

;)

Edited by BigJase88

I just don't like wrong information being thrown around.

Especially when it's my thread and is made to help someone, then people come along and say clearly incorrect things :)

Edited by Dann2707
  • Like 1

Guest BigJase88

I just don't like wrong information being thrown around.

Especially when it's my thread was made to help someone, then people come along and say clearly incorrect things :)

I haven't thrown any wrong info about just trying to help :)

We can have different experiences you know

Edited by BigJase88

Post #51 insinuates that the majority of the oil in the inlet tract (that affects the inlet dia of the intake and egr valve) comes from the turbo seals. Incorrect.

That's pretty much it mate!

I'm totally happy to continue this on pm or facebook chat or whatever Jase just not in here :)

Edited by Dann2707

Guest BigJase88

Post #51 insinuates that the majority of the oil in the inlet tract (that affects the inlet dia of the intake and egr valve) comes from the turbo seals. Incorrect.

That's pretty much it mate!

I'm totally happy to continue this on pm or facebook chat or whatever Jase just not in here :)

It does not insinuate that at all.

It says the oil comes from the turbo.

Which it does.

All of it comes from the turbo

Partly through the seals and partly through the air intake (ccv) as that connects to the turbo

Maybe it was bad english if so i apologise

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thought I would jump on this thread before I remove my EGR valve to give it a clean on my AUB engine. Still trying to hunt down the cause of fluctuating idle/low revs and was reading that this could be due to a stuck open EGR valve? I've already cleaned out the throttle body throughout.

Anyhow, I'm going to remove it tonight and give it a clean. My question is, is there any harm with removing it from the electronics to take it inside to clean? This won't reset anything will it? Like the throttle body would?

Sorry if its a silly question, I've only been driving three months!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I need some help guys ive read the guide on here already an im still lost i removed the egr an the bit next to it i got to this stage 20141005_182830.jpg

20141005_182809.jpg

And now ive had to put it all back on cos i cudnt figure out wer the blank plate go's can someone please help me :(

I need some help guys ive read the guide on here already an im still lost i removed the egr an the bit next to it i got to this stage 20141005_182830.jpg20141005_182809.jpg

And now ive had to put it all back on cos i cudnt figure out wer the blank plate go's can someone please help me :(

If you see in your picture, the pipe that sits below the egr valve that you took the bolts out of to get the egr valve off, well at the other end of that pipe is where the blanking plate goes. Its on the top of exhaust manifold

• 2 weeks later...

Wot a ballache that was finally got it all done an sorted egr blanked coolant tank thing removed wot a nite mare that is tryin to get to those awkward allen key bolts. Not to mention the coolant bath my hands got but its all done thank god.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed this tutorial yesterday. The only slight criticism I would have is that I think the bolt to the rear of the EGR valve could be explained a little better, but without the guide I would have been utterly clueless so thank you.

My EGR valve was almost completely blocked. The actual valve couldn't move as there was over 1/2 inch thick buildup of moist carbon on either side, so it took a lot of prising out and cleaning to get it functioning again.

I started the car this morning and it struggled to start for a second as some of the carbon had falled into down the hole to the exhaust. When it kicked in there was a huge amount of smoke from the exhaust and a couple of revs later and it was idling much better than before.

I'm convinced that it seems to be slightly better in terms of response when I press the accelerator, although it could just be in my head.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Great guide! managed to get EGR off and cleaned, Not without complications tho. The last allen key bot on the bottom of EGR was a utter ball-ache to get back in. Took about an hour, No joke! Little bit of advice that helped me was to use a small socket ratchet with a allen key tool on the end, So So much easier to get in and tighten back up. Also as someone else mentioned its alot easier to to undo the flexi pipe under the EGR at the manifold end and taking the EGR and pipe out in a oner. then removing the pipe to do the gasket. And makes life easier when replacing the EGR back onto the inlet rather than fiddling with the ****ty bolts underneath.

And lastly. I need some advice when I was putting the EGR back on, The pipe that needs to be attached to the other pipe on the Ex manifold I seemed to have tightened the nut up to tight and have snapped the thread off in the nut......

Whats the deal with this? Does the pipe need to be replaced, Or the remaining stud drilled out or is it a new manifold? 

Cheers Boys and Girls

LeezG

Edited by LeezoG

• 3 months later...

To the person that said just leave it on and clean it, it needs cleaning every 20k miles and its a barstrad to remove, so hence the EGR delete.

Regarding performance .. ive read topics on other cars with people filling out the EGR so the air flows smooth and not hitting on a ridge, are you telling me even with a EGR remapped out, how much flow is restricted with a large chuck in the center of the pipe restricting flow?  - if people go to the trouble of filling down to remove a 1mm ridge, im sure that a straight pipe must provide better performance... 

If you would have argued that the cost for gain could better be spent else were , then ok..  it was stated it provides no benefits, i cant go along with that statement.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

has anyone done this to the 2001 1.4 16v petrol? some one said to me that its bad for petrols but i don't see how especially on the fabia with how many problems the seem to make and also if so have you been getting through mot's alright? 

cheers 

• 4 weeks later...