Octy 2 vrs Spoiler blistering!

Hi Guys,

Thought I would start this thread to keep all updated on my Grievance with Skoda surrounding the well documented Spoiler/Lacquer issue that people seem to be having with 2006/2007 cars.

I noticed after searching around quite a few people have been having this issue and some have had a degree of luck getting Skoda to fix it, so on this basis I figured it would`nt hurt to have a rant and see what happens (expecting nothing of course!!)

Well this morning I got a call from Skoda UK customer service giving me a ref number and saying I will get a call from one of their UK reps within the next few days to discuss the issue. He asked me to email in details of service history etc and if I have owned previous cars to show brand loyalty etc which I will do in due course once I have confirmed its actually a genuine call!!

I will keep you all updated as to what happens as it sickens me to see what is effectively a £20000 car new spoilt by crappy finish on parts of the car. (I also have a friend with a silver 2007 VRS having exactly the same issues as mine)

Ill add for the record the much less expensive Fabia VRs i had for 7 years didnt have a single issue with paint finish and I expected better from an Octavia, however if this doesnt get resolved and I end up paying myself it will be the last Skoda I do own and ill go to something else.

check back for updates!!!

It makes me laugh, actually no it doesn't make me laugh, it infuriates me that despite the torrent of complaints about tis issue over the years Skoda UK still play the game when you ring them up to enquire...

"No sir, we've not had any other similar cases reported".

Oh really? My ass!

As above, thats exactly how mine is currently.. and my mates is far worse!!! however having read a little bit on here it seems that as i was asked about service history etc means they will use it as an excuse to get out of doing anything... I purchased the car second hand and well outside of the 3 year warranty so i had it serviced at a non main dealer as I was led to believe there is a law against main dealers forcing you to use them!!! what this has to do with the quality of the paintwork finish is beyond me and my car gets plenty of hand washes and waxing etc by hand so should bloody last!!! time will tell what comes of it though and believe me if there is one thing im good at its arguing with manufacturers and companies!!!

Hi Dan,

Ill keep it in mind if they try to fob me off saying they have not heard of this issue... which we all know will be utter crap as they monitor this forum and I know my local dealership even looks on here!! If I do get rejected based on whatever excuse they can find I think I may start a campaign to see how many people are suffering from this issue and poss consider trading standards or something of that nature... But I will give them fair chance to deal with it and see what happens.. I will of course keep you all posted on what happens to let you all decide what action if any is worth taking.. 

shame its dark as id take a pic of mine. Its so bad I can't wash it (the spoiler that is, not the whole car lol) for fear of ripping off all the remaining laqer

I've tried once but if they accept one then we will all be able to claim.

Mine did the same, I had it repainted as the cost wasn't worth messing around trying to get it dealt with.

I know that's the wrong attitude but it didn't break the bank and my time is worth more.

• Like 1

I don't see how their Service History angle can stand here. There is a warranty on the car specifically related to the paintwork, is there not? I'm also not aware of paintwork condition being inspected during a main dealer service  :wonder:

I know SUK will attempt to find some technical reason why that can't be applied to a spoiler though, or infer that you've not treated it properly  :wall:

This is an issue with Fabias by the way too, just to raise that point as it was mentioned in the first post. Plenty of Mk1 vRS owners will tell you as much....

Effectively it's an issue with the thickness of the lacquer.

Hmmm, OK - must have been the bodywork guarantee I was thinking of.

In that case there's no point wasting your time with SUK really, as the car is now at least twice beyond the original warrantied period.

My 2007 vRS (silver) has this spoiler laquer problem. It's in very poor condition and needs a re-spray. It's a shame as it's very poor paint quality and harms the Skoda brand quality aspirations.

BTW - did you know that skoda is the Czech word for 'shame'?