Octy 2 vrs Spoiler blistering!

I swung by the dealer this morning and asked one of the guys in the body shop to have a look. He confirmed it was blistering and took photo's to send off to SUK to start a warranty claim. He said it usually takes 48hrs to receive a reply to each case. I am now waiting to hear. I will keep you all posted.

Oooh forgot to mention - The guy said this was very common. Hmmm. Glad I noticed it whilst it was still in warranty.

Edited by radders567

Just been back to the dealer to have my spoiler removed for repainting as my case was accepted. Dealer came back in after a few mins with more bad news. He had found some more paint bubbling under the spoiler so now the whole boot lid is going to be painted as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update.. ive been offered %20 good will towards a cost of £220 plus VAT... im no maths genius but even I can work out this isnt worth it so im off to an independent garage to get them to quote to do it.. I dont see more than £100 quid being the total price... VW/Skoda body shops apparently use different paint and their body shop people must be so much better than other places because they are trained by VW (yeah right!!)... last skoda for me im afraid..  

Mine is also blistering all the way along the spoiler - only noticed it recently!

Pretty shocking as it is an 08 Plate VRS.

I guess Skoda will not doing anything about this? especially as I have not used them for the last service or MOT.

I will log it as an issue with customer services though and I suggest others do the same so they know that many people have the same issue!

I am guessing it may happen to almost every car - mine is black metallic if that makes a difference.

It's because the clearcoat on the spoiler isn't of sufficient quality and/or thickness. Clear manufacturer defect, especially seeing this exact problem occurred on the Mk1 Fabia vRS rear spoiler.

Well ive now given up on the idea of getting a decent response from skoda, and im now considering Hydro-dipping the spoiler in carbon as there is a company about 10 miles away that does it, and ill get them to clear coat it a few times for a quality finish.. not sure on how lasting the finish is but thats something im looking into..

Something like this

I was quoted £150-£180 for carbon dipping by OTT-DESIGNS on Facebook. Tempting but also tempting just to get it resprayed and get some other corrective work done on the car while they're at it.

Mine is also blistering all the way along the spoiler - only noticed it recently!

Pretty shocking as it is an 08 Plate VRS.

I guess Skoda will not doing anything about this? especially as I have not used them for the last service or MOT.

I will log it as an issue with customer services though and I suggest others do the same so they know that many people have the same issue!

I am guessing it may happen to almost every car - mine is black metallic if that makes a difference.

most likely they wont.

I've spoken to them and their opinion is if the car doesnt have 100% skoda service history (so if you are not the only owner and the prev owner didnt use skoda thats your fault) and its not too old etc etc then you have no chance.

They dont think its a major issue and i've sent skoda uk a link to this very thread of which they have read and still refuse to accept its an issue.

Its a joke, I wonder who we'd need to contact as skoda uk simply dont care

I had a large blister on my spoiler last year

didn't even bother with Skoda as out of warrenty and paint is only covered for rust so went to an independent who i must say was surprised to see it and claimed he had never seen anything like it.

When i dropped the car off he managed to cut the lifted clear coat ( approx. patch 3x4 inches ) and we examined it only to find a small hole with a mark in the paint where the hole was. best guess was a small stone managed to hit the spoiler and water got under the clear coat managing to spread out when the cars at speed. The hole couldn't be seen whilst on the spoiler but with light behind showed up.

repair cost was £120 for a total spoiler respray

• 8 months later...

Interesting to read this topic as my Black 57 Octavia vrs is suffering the same issue, sad to see that it's so common but I guess a 7 year old car with 92k miles on isn't going to be much interest for customer services, certainly not after they had to replace my engine at 71k miles under warranty when the water pump siezed :S

I had my 55 plate Octy Sport spoiler done on the 9th of Sept whilst it was in for some corrosion warranty work, the driver and passenger sills plus boot were all covered under the 12 year corrosion warranty but I had to pay £159 for the spoiler as it was plastic and only covered under the 3 year paint warranty. I'm not sure if that price is good or bad but as it was coming off anyway to do the boot lid I said to do it.

Thought mine was bad chunks just falling off about 2 inch not properly lacquered on the corners but having seen steve33 spoiler that is a disgrace.

It didn't like three weeks at Manchester Airport to be honest! Wasn't too bad before then.

I got mine done a while ago at a private paint shop for £80, jobs as good as needed and at £80 notes it was a cheap fix to an awful problem..

Apparently its got something to do with the releasing agents they use in the moulding process not being fully cleaned off, so eventually it bubbles the lacquer and away it comes, cheap ass skoda!!

• Like 1

My spoiler has done the same,i noticed it this weekend,getting a quote tommorow for the spoiler to be repainted. Mine happened very quickly,was ok a week ago now water has got under the laquer & a big patch of laquer fell off at the weekend.

Bit of a rubbish reply from Skoda.

"Thank you for your email dated 04 December 2013 regarding the spoiler on your ŠKODA Octavia vRS. I am sorry to hear that the

lacquer is coming off the spoiler.

I can confirm that all vehicles come with a 3 year Paint Warranty; the paint warranty for your vehicle expired on the 28 May

2010."

After 7 years of Skoda ownership and a reply like that I won't be buying another.....

........and I never, I've got a B8.5 S4 now. Skoda is a joke.