Official cambelt change procedure SDI

peteski

Wifes Fabia 1.9 SDi went in for a cambelt change recently.  A day after a nasty intermittent clunk appeared.  I suspect that they unbolted the right hand engine mount from the body and jacked up the engine to get the belt on, possibly damaging the left hand or stabilising mount in the process, hence the clunk. Car (and wife) have been away since so I haven't had a chance to confirm this, but it's going straight back to the dealer on its return.  If anyone has a copy of or link to the official procedure, which I'm pretty sure would involve unbolting the r/h mount from the supported engine block and removing it, I'd be grateful. Garage in question (better not name them until sorted) are official Skoda.  Thanks.

Update. Car was returned for inspection and I was told by the workshop supervisor that the wishbone bushes were worn, hence the noise. As these had been replaced 9 months earlier, I told him that I thought this was unlikely. This was greeted with a shrug and on later inspection, they indeed proved to be in perfect order. When I got the car home, I looked at the centre nut on the right hand engine mounting and could see the marks left on it after being tightened with a hammer and chisel. It had obviously not been tightened properly before, so allowing movement and the resulting noise. It was still not properly torqued up, so I retightened it as per workshop manual instructions using the proper tools. No more clunk. One use stretch bolts that should have been replaced as a matter of course had been refitted (I was told that they never replace them). The cambelt job itself had been done by using paint marks to maintain position, acceptable but not the proper procedure of using locking bar and pin, the cam cover showed no evidence of having been removed. Despite charging Skoda service prices, they do not follow Skoda workshop procedures. I won't name them yet as this is ongoing. I'll make the time to do it myself in future.

Just in case it's handy for anyone, after speaking to VW group technical, those three stretch bolts should indeed be replaced as a matter of course, they are one use only. If needed, the part number is: N10286205.