Octavia vRS 2013 (TSI) vs Golf 7 GTI comparisons

Hi,

I was looking very hard for any kind of comparisson test between the GTI and the vRS, but unfortunately there was nowhere to be found. Does anyone know of such comparison tests? It may even be a personal experience of driving them both back-to-back.

I know that the GTI is lighter and more nimble, but I'd preffer a more detailed description of how it feels like driving both of these cars that share the same engine and platform.

If you go by the technical specifications, there's not much difference in weight between the two.

I'm more interested in the real-world experience/feeling you get after driving them both. The technical specifications don't mean much on their own :)

I know that the GTI is lighter and more nimble.

The technical specifications don't mean much on their own :)

I was telling you the exact opposite. Technical specs will tell you that the GTI is not lighter (significantly so) than the vRS. If it is nimbler, it is because of the slightly shorter wheelbase. And that isn't much shorter anyway (a couple of centimeters). One would have to drive both really hard to tell the difference just from that and the longer vRS rear overhang.

I hope that helps...

The Golf will feel better built and should handle slightly better due mainly to it's wheels being closer to each corner. There is also a trick-diff option on the golf which supposedly improves handling further, offering more traction out of corners. The Octavia will be more practical space-wise and offer better value. Equipment levels appear pretty similar. The Golf is proabably the better hot-hatch, but the Octy is probably the better car.

I was telling you the exact opposite. Technical specs will tell you that the GTI is not lighter (significantly so) than the vRS. If it is nimbler, it is because of the slightly shorter wheelbase. And that isn't much shorter anyway (a couple of centimeters). One would have to drive both really hard to tell the difference just from that and the longer vRS rear overhang.

I hope that helps...

Thanks. Point taken. I do hope that someone, that actually drove both of them, will share his opinion on the topic.

I have new octi estate elegance 2.0tdi and new gti being picked up next week !

I felt at home in both interiors feel well put together and some common points ,as far as performance I don't have vrs experience but the way the elegance holds the road ,I would expect it to be very close between vrs and gti perhaps why no tests yet ?!?

The pp gti I have ordered was fantastic lots of grunt from low revs and very civilised,but floor it and it goes like stink ,the diff you can feel working ,so maybe vrs looses summit there but really I think it comes down to money,style and being a brand snob lol

VW were trying to get me in a golf estate but I felt the skoda octi was so much more for less money,but the gti is an icon so had to be golf for my fun car

The Golf will feel better built and should handle slightly better due mainly to it's wheels being closer to each corner. There is also a trick-diff option on the golf which supposedly improves handling further, offering more traction out of corners. The Octavia will be more practical space-wise and offer better value. Equipment levels appear pretty similar. The Golf is proabably the better hot-hatch, but the Octy is probably the better car.

Interesting observation. When I came from a Mk5 Golf GTI to a Facelift MK2 Octy VRS I found that the Skoda was better built than the VW.

Re. your 'trick-diff' option point, yes the Golf is available with the 'Performance Pack' option which includes the 'trick-diff', but both come standard with XDS+ which mimics a diff by braking a spinning wheel...it does help turn in as I can feel the original XDS working on my VRS.

Comparing Mk5 GTI to Octy VRS the main difference I noticed was the more playful tail on the Octy..if you turn in under braking it will give you a bit of lift off oversteer...never got that in the Golf. I like it, but it's not to everyones taste.

I'd say for ultimate handling the Golf gets my vote...but if you need the space & would like to pocket over 3K, the Octy VRS is hard to beat IMO.

That trick diff is a special piece of kit, apparently, and if I could have stretched to it, I would have gone for a Golf GTi. It probably would have been a similar wait to my petrol VRS. having said that, I prefer the feel of the cabin in the Octy, and as I will be spending a fair bit of time in the car, nowhere near the traction limit on hairpin bends, I think the VRS will be just fine.

Doesn't the gti have adjustable suspension?

Yes it is an option you can spec on the Golf. Mk7 Golfs are very nice, not sure I like the external styling though, and they always seem to come in boring colour...

The Skoda Octavia vRS is a good car and people won't think you're a ****.  It is also a nice looking car.

The Volkswagen Golf GTi is a bad car and people will think you're a ****.  It is also a hideously ugly incarnation of a car which should have been consigned to the scrapheap several marks ago.  You will also feel like a failure every time you pass a Scirocco.

Edited by fiisch
  • Like 1

The Skoda Octavia vRS is a good car and people won't think you're a ****.  It is also a nice looking car.

The Volkswagen Golf GTi is a bad car and people will think you're a ****.  It is also a hideously ugly incarnation of a car which should have been consigned to the scrapheap several marks ago.  You will also feel like a failure every time you pass a Scirocco.

What an interesting opinion.

Golf GTI is just a normal car.  Hate is usually reserved for Audi drivers. ;)

I liek the Octy VRS, but the lack of the performance pack is daft IMO.

As I don't need a huge boot I'd rather get the Golf because of it.

'The Golf GTI is a bad car' I stopped reading right there..

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For those interested, I've just stumbled upon this article

http://www.auto-mania.cz/srovnavaci-test-volkswagen-golf-gti-dsg-skoda-octavia-rs-dsg-foto-video/

It is in Czech but google can translate it decently enough to understand the point. Plus there are some nice back to back photos + video from both cars.

On a side note, I ordered a white Octavia vRS hatch (petrol) with a black pack and I'm waiting on a build week :)

I think the Golf is likely to be the better drivers car and there is something about the GTI/GTD spec cars that make them feel quite special (just clever detailing more than anything.....something VW are v good at) compared to a vRS.

The Octavia is a bit more reserved i think but offers the same kind of driving dynamics for usefully less money and is a great deal more practical; if you have a growing family it would be a no brainer for that reason alone.

A GTi PP manual 5 door with cruise and nav is probably all the car anyone would ever need if space isnt a priority.....personally id still take an M135i, nothing else comes close for bang per buck still, even smaller than the Golf inside though.

Edited by pipsyp

The problem with the Golf is that you're paying for the cache of the VW badge, it's truly an excellent car with superb performance & handling.

Whereas with the Skoda you're not paying for the badge & brand name snobbery.

It's all down to requirments Mr and MrsProfessional no Kids a Golf GTI/GTD is a Perfect car for them, Mr and Mrs national avarage 2.2 Kids with dog the VRS ( Other Octavia's are available)covers all the bases Bit of driver Fun for Dad on the rare Occasion he's all alone,Space for Mum and all that weekly monthly Shopping, a cracking size boot for the dog to lay in comfort( my pooch do's Not fit in the boot of a Golf and he's 8 months old).with plenty of room for the Kids and all the stuff they have got.

It's all down to how much you want to spend and indeed badge snobbery which i think is Not as Bad as it Once was. Also badge loyalty comes into play. If Money was Not The issue i would have a Merc E Class 63 AMG (Estate) now that would be a laugh, But Short of a lottery Win Or a unknown Rich Family member croaking Leaving all of their money to me it's Not going to happen .I jwill have to stick with my VRS which i think is a brilliant car and being over in Germany Bar from Other soldiers Talking advantage of Buying tax free motors i have Seen One German RS as they are badged over Here a rare sight indeed which i like.

To be honest your right, personal requirements has most to play in it. Some do and some don't need a big car which will always be a factor.

Badge snobbery works both ways. Skoda owners are as bad as any other as they think worse of vw, Audi merc BMW etc just as much if not more than the other way round.

All much of muchness

• Like 1