I'm betting the engines will be the 1.8 TSI (maybe 1.4 for the UK) and the 150 bhp 2.0 TDI and 1.6 TDI. My bet is that the VRS TDI won't be available for the Scout. Who wants to join in on the bet? :)

PS: I like the interior trim colors better than the VRS...

PPS: Those wheels can't be 17", either they're 16" or the tires will have a much larger diameter than the regular Octavia.

Edited by TudorM
  • Like 1

My bet would be no petrol option. (although Ronnie seems to confirm it will have tbf) 1.4 - not with the haldex 5 setup and I reckon putting the 1.8tsi in will cause issues of 'why cant I order that engine in my 2wd Elegance?'

Diesel wise i'd also be surprised if they offered the 185ps unit as it would make it quicker off the line compared to the VRS TDi - something they've been very cagey with in the past, all the way back to the 4x4 Mk 1 in fact - detuned to 150bhp instead of 180 of the VRS so it could'nt compete off the line.

So my guess is either just the 150ps tdi and possibly the 1.8tsi but then making the 1.8tsi available across the range in the UK :)

Diesel wise i'd also be surprised if they offered the 185ps unit as it would make it quicker off the line compared to the VRS TDi - something they've been very cagey with in the past, all the way back to the 4x4 Mk 1 in fact - detuned to 150bhp instead of 180 of the VRS so it could'nt compete off the line.

Would be very interested in a real world effectiveness comparison on smooth roads (corners included) between 4x4 and VRS TDI

and said also:

So my guess is either just the 150ps tdi and possibly the 1.8tsi but then making the 1.8tsi available across the range in the UK :)

Isn't this what you're almost "starving" for??? ;)

• Like 1

Don't especially like the squared off bumpers front and back, and the lack of exhaust pipes which I know is standard for Octavias below VRS spec. No evidence of an offroad button either, which I hoped would make it from the Yeti.

Quite like the brown and matt chrome interior trim though. I wonder whether the UK will get the silver window surrounds at last?

Skoda press release:

Mladá Boleslav, 11 February 2014 – ŠKODA is pressing ahead with its model campaign. The new ŠKODA Octavia Scout will be celebrating its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show. The robust all-rounder sports a distinctive off-road look, innovative all-wheel drive, the best driving performance – even on rough roads – and high versatility on and off the road.

?“The new ŠKODA Octavia Scout really is a smart offroader in every way – a name that has to be earned at ŠKODA,” says Dr. Frank Welsch, ŠKODA Member of the Board of Management for Technical Development. “Our new model is a scout in the best sense and offers customers a unique package, comprising a striking off-road look, impressive all-wheel characteristics, plenty of space and modern safety, comfort and engine technologies. The new Octavia Scout sets new standards in the crossover-vehicle segment.”

The new ŠKODA Octavia Scout is based on the Octavia Combi and is characterized by a powerful, Scout-specific appearance. Both the front and rear feature powerful, black bumpers with silver-coloured off-road attachments. The front features a wide air intake and sharply-embossed fog lights. The door sills and wheel arches are also in black panelling, in addition to the black protective side mouldings. The ground clearance has increased by 33 millimetres compared to the standard Octavia. 17-inch alloy wheels are fitted as series standard. In the interior there is a 3-spoke multi-function leather steering wheel and attractive features, designed especially for the Scout.

State-of-the-art all-wheel drive technology, based on the Haldex-5 coupling, and new technological features make the new model the best Octavia Scout ever. The traction has increased by 25% to up to two tonnes. In addition, the start-up performance and climbing power of the all-rounder has significantly improved. Thanks to the larger approach/departure angles, the Czech car masters even steeper, more challenging terrain. It comes with a choice of two diesel engines and one petrol. The powertrains are 20% more economical, compared to the vehicle’s predecessor.

To summarize, the new ŠKODA Octavia Scout has all of the excellent values featured in the new ŠKODA Octavia – just that ‘bit more of a car’: Outstanding space, maximum functionality, practical ‘Simply Clever’ solutions, cutting-edge safety and comfort technology and the best value for money.

The main drawback of these cars is the increased length of the bumpers, making the car less practical to park plus it is more expensive to buy and run. I'm sure it will be a great car and very good package

If it was available by the time I was ordering, I would have been torn between my spec and the scout:)

Prefer the under-stated look of our standard 4x4, though the side bump strips could be handy.

TP

Those side bump strips are the one bit I think I could live without. Hopefully they're only stuck on! Or can be painted body colour.

Sarge.

Taking a perfectly nice looking Octavia and turning it in to a tonka toy......not my cup of tea.

Its overstyled, i dont like the bumpers and the black plastic door protection strips are horrible.....lack of visible exhaust pipes hurts the look too.

An Octavia SE with a few options and the rough road package would be just as capable and looks better....probably cheaper too.

I like the comment about the steering wheel.....its just a 3 spoke wheel as available on other DSG octavias with a Scout badge on it, whats so special about that?

Those side bump strips are the one bit I think I could live without. Hopefully they're only stuck on! Or can be painted body colour.

Sarge.

Worry for me are the size of parking bays in the local supermarket and at work for example. So side strips might be useful, as the Octy III just about fills them in all directions, leaving the doors vulnerable to less caring and ignorant car owners who see the car parked next to them as a door stop :S

TP

I very much doubt the scout is to any great extent much more difficult to park.

I like the looks, just adds something from the very plain se look for those that want something different it will appeal rather than serving a function

It's oficial 184hP will be an option in Scout, check the press release from Skoda DE. 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en-EN&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skoda-auto.de%2Fnews%2FPages%2Fder-neue-skoda-octavia-scout.aspx

Source: http://www.skoda-auto.de/news/Pages/der-neue-skoda-octavia-scout.aspx

Edited by Polux

That will be awesome - faster than the diesel VRS off the line, at the expense of top end speed and handling, but perfectly OK at legal-ish speeds. I found the door strips to be useful in supermarket carparks.

Taking a perfectly nice looking Octavia and turning it in to a tonka toy......not my cup of tea.

Its overstyled, i dont like the bumpers and the black plastic door protection strips are horrible.....lack of visible exhaust pipes hurts the look too.

Exactly why I like it - or at least the existing Scout.  Exhaust pipes are where I draw the line at washing the car, and as soon as the chrome can turn mucky that's me happy.  It's just a shame they have deemed it necessary for the windows which means the only way I can drown it out is with a white car!

I hope I get used to it as, much like an old girlfriend, there's a place in my heart for the old one.

That's in Germany, Skoda UK will probably decide we should only have a choice of the 1.2TSI and 1.6TDI...

This weeks Auto Express is quoting UK sales to start this summer with "only the more powerful 1.8TSI and 2.0TDI engines offered"

Exactly why I like it - or at least the existing Scout. Exhaust pipes are where I draw the line at washing the car, and as soon as the chrome can turn mucky that's me happy. It's just a shame they have deemed it necessary for the windows which means the only way I can drown it out is with a white car!

I hope I get used to it as, much like an old girlfriend, there's a place in my heart for the old one.

The look of the old Scout is more cohesive; this new Mk3 is just trying to hard to look like an Audi Allroad, its overstyled and it doesnt work IMHO.

Pipsyp when you say it like that may be you're right. It looks like the passat alltrack and audi a4 allroad, which are both overstyled the same cars underneath as the regular versions.

Still, I'm sure it will be a cracking car

I know it wouldn't be Briskoda unless we had a few people having a whinge but this seems like a fairly logical extension of the Scout line to me?

And it does have more off road capability than the standard versions because of the increased ride height and ramp angles.

Can't say I thought "wow" when I saw the pictures but I still think in a good colour, front on, this will look nice and aggressive and will do the job for people wanting an estate with slightly more off road capability than the standard 4x4.

Looking forward to seeing fast response ambulances around the country adopting the new Scout :)

The look of the old Scout is more cohesive; this new Mk3 is just trying to hard to look like an Audi Allroad, its overstyled and it doesnt work IMHO.

Agree with that without having seen it in the flesh, but of the 3 generations of allroad (A6 not A4) I've owned, it's the original that's the most "honest" and in my opinion still looks good.  That was then, and they've (all) decided the market wants a less utilitarian look.

If this starts at £23k, I would also be looking at the Peugeot 508 RXH which can be had for £26k but is automatic (albeit jerky), probably more luxurious and qwerky by virtue of its hybrid power/drive.  I suspect the Scout's relative residual value to be stonger though.

I'm not suggesting it's a direct comparison, but may appeal to some and it has similar ground clearance.  I don't know about the Insignia Country Tourer though which I think starts at about £27k before discounts. 

Im not a big advocate of Vauxhalls (even though my brother runs a dealership and we have one ourselves) but the facelift insignia is a good looking car and the country tourer I think looks better than this new Scout.

I reckon you'd get a better deal on an Insignia as Vauxhall will probably be giving them away before too long