The resale values on the MkII Scout have rocketed over the last two years.

Short supply due to the end of production in 2012 and a very harsh winter (by UK standards) has meant that even the pre-facelift Scout's are expensive.

I think the last production run may have been Candy White :giggle:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/octavia/postcode/sl13yd/radius/1500/keywords/Scout/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/sort/pricedesc

£18.5K for a 12,000 mile, 18 month old Scout now is what the MkII vRS Blackline cost brand new only last year!

Edited by silver1011

Of course I suspect the new Scout will be close to £28.5K not £34K.

Whilst £18.5K wasn't the full retail price, it wasn't much under the standard "vat free" price at the time. Given the length of time they had the vat free promotion going, that was effectively the list price for about 2 years.

Yes, I agree Scouts do retain their value well. But be careful of comparing main dealer forecourt prices against what you can actually sell your car for. I've had offers between £10 and £12K for mine at 47K miles. At that I think I've done well compared to most new cars depreciation levels, but the Mk3 Scout will be worth similar at 3 + years and 47k miles. Obviously if the new one is £28k or so that's another £9.5K of depreciation which doesn't look so good.

I'm torn at the moment. I've had 4 new Skodas in the last 10 years, 2 of which we still have in the family. I've been waiting for the new Scout but if it is around £28K the pcp finance figures will compare unfavourably to some very nice alternatives. Especially when the inevitable delivery issues are taken in to account.

I've been waiting for the new Scout but if it is around £28K the pcp finance figures will compare unfavourably to some very nice alternatives. Especially when the inevitable delivery issues are taken in to account.

is this the Skoda factory lead times?.. every new vehicle they release seems to suffer from this. I guess that's probably the same for most manufacturers though.

agree with what your saying about the PCP. On our lease suppliers. A similarly spec'd Octavia Elegance or VRS with heated leather and Sat Nav is almost identical in monthly £ to a BMW 520d SE. Although i probably would still go for a Skoda ;)

is this the Skoda factory lead times?.. every new vehicle they release seems to suffer from this. I guess that's probably the same for most manufacturers though.

Most east asian manufacturers only let you spec the trim level and colour, so you can get a new one pretty quick as they have a stockpile.

Of course I suspect the new Scout will be close to £28.5K.

I wonder how much the newly announced 4x4 Octavia Laurin + Klement will be by comparison? That does look very nice and indeed and if a similar price to a basic Scout. Wonder how many will forgo the rugged look and purchase that instead.

I look forward to seeing one of these in the flesh in a few months, but from the photos, I suspect my highly specced manual 2010 (MY2011) Scout, with xenons, leather, sunroof, front/rear sensors, electric heated seats etc etc and a 125kW Stage 1 tune, will be my long term keeper, as I can't see anything here to tempt me into the new model.

Having both a Mk II Scout and a Mk III 4x4 (with RR package), I have to say that the Mk III is absolutely leagues ahead of the Scout in terms of the following:

1. Performance - much faster, more responsive and more economical (by about 5mpg at least).

2. Handling - a revelation - vastly more satisfying to drive.

3. Quietness - the Scout is not bad but the Mk III is much better.

4. Build quality - feels much taughter.

I still LIKE driving the Scout, but I ENJOY driving the Mk III.

I won't compare the ride quality as there is a less clear-cut difference and they are not exactly comparable.

If appearance is your sole measure (pretty low on the list for me) then I would personally agree that the new Scout is not particularly great, but everything else is such a big step forward that i am surprised you feel the way you do.

I'm sure you are right, the car is much improved in many ways over the Mk II. I've driven the new 132kW Octavia in Elegance spec and really enjoyed it.

Appearance is just one factor, but probably a bigger one for me is the ~NZ$30K it would likely cost to swap my faultless high-spec 3.5 year old Scout for a new equivalent spec Mk III.

I love my cars, but would be in the divorce courts if I were to throw that sort of money at this right now :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon - I was in the same place as you. I'm moving to a MkIII VRS. My strategy was:

- max the part exchange value as Scouts hold up pretty well

- go for PCP and explain to other half how much money will be in the bank account rather than tied up in the car

- emphasis the SAFETY benefits of the MkIII relative to the older model - it's a significant step up

All this hinges on the pricing of the new Scout - I hope Skoda doesn't over cook that.

I'm starting to worry the 2014 Scout is going to be as badgersport predicted in the £28k region. So i fear that Scout will not be the bargain it once was. 

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/motorshows/geneva-motor-show-2014/geneva-motor-show-2014-skoda-octavia-scout/ 

Honest John reckons it will be £1000 over the standard Estate. But even the 4x4 Octavia elegance estate starts at £25k. The 4x4 SE estate starts at just under £24k.

Is the Scout trim unique itself or is it based on an SE with a few added exterior bits?

Probably won't come in a manual either? At least it won't over here anyway.

The 1.8TSI is pretty good with DSG, I'm driving it at the mo, it gets it right 99% of the time. Not so enthused about the 184TDI motor with it though.

I've pretty much given up on NZ car dealers. I'll likely be importing my next one to get what I want and with a big saving to boot.

The only two complaints I've got with my current scout are is the squeaking doors on uneven ground and the tight back seat. It's a keeper, but it's great to know there is a replacement coming if it ever gets driven over by a dump truck on a work site.

How are you other kiwi's getting on with this forum software? I have continual issues with both firefox and chrome (hence the blank post above). Even on completely different computers and connections. Quoting doesn't work, buttons vanish, editing doesn't work and java errors keep popping up.

How are you other kiwi's getting on with this forum software? I have continual issues with both firefox and chrome (hence the blank post above). Even on completely different computers and connections. Quoting doesn't work, buttons vanish, editing doesn't work and java errors keep popping up.

Mixed results.  Looks like this quote is going to work as advertised, but I've had recent situations where no options to reply even show up, although I'm correctly logged in.  I was sent a PM the other day and tried to reply, but the "reply" window never appeared and I had to start a new message thread.

But, to be fair, it usually works..I normally run Chrome as my browser and Tapatalk for iPhone when on Mobile.

Edited by Simon Cobb
  • Like 1

Well the 2014 Octavia VRS estate 2.0 TDI 6G manual starts at £24,385.00. So i can't see the Scout starting at £34,000 - that's £5,000 more than a VW Passat Alltrack 4motion

Mind you, the current Passat prices (all over the range) are very tempting, as it is an outgoing model - so I wouldnt compare them directly.

Here in Bulgaria VW dealers are desperate to sell their stock of Passats and there have been some price anomalies like 15% off BEFORE staring to negotiate

Anyway, as my 1.8TSI 4x4 DSG starts at EUR 25k here, I suspect the new Scout with the same spec to start at about EUR 27-28k list-price

Just got back from a day out in Geneva, and crawled all over the Scout which is shown as having a list price of CHF 39,220. My phone had a glitch accessing the SD card so I'll see what I've got, although I did pick up several Scout brochures.

Whilst the colour range seems more extensive than the for the old Scout I wouldn't be surprised if we get less choice in the UK. I'm hoping that Race Blue comes through.

After a self-conscious look under the front end I couldn't see a sump guard but I'll see if anything was caught on my camera.

There are also two versions of the 17“ Nivalis wheel - thankfully one being more plain and silver only. The other 17" wheel option doesn't look too bad either. Hopefully one of the photos I took of the wheel backs will reveal the offset and confirm whether they are interchangeable with the old Proteus (I kept a spare in hope!).

Still don't like the streaky trim around the gear lever, but maybe this may be plainer on a manual. At least its grey and not brown as it appeared in one photo.

The Chrome Package is a CHF 340 option, so I'm hoping they keep it as an option and not include it within the UK spec. I know most of you will be hoping for the opposite.

Edited by Jeeves

Other wheels are 17“ Polar.

Ground clearance is only 171mm

135kW DSG 0-62 in 7.8s, 143g CO2, 5.4 l/100km combined consumption

110kW manual, 9.1s, 129g, 4.9 l/100km

132kW DSG petrol, 7.8s, 159g, 7.1 l/100km

Ground clearance is only 171mm

That's 8mm less than the Mark II's 179mm, which was already lower than some of its main competitors such as the Subaru Outback (213mm).  I wonder how critical that number is in most people's minds when making a purchase decision? 

That's 8mm less than the Mark II's 179mm, which was already lower than some of its main competitors such as the Subaru Outback (213mm).  I wonder how critical that number is in most people's minds when making a purchase decision? 

Hmm...I don't know what to say. So the standard car is 140mm, mine with the RRP is 155mm (1.5cm higher). The Scout then is like adding a second RRP in terms of ride height :)

However I still think this is not enough and a step backwards from the old Scout. I mean, the whole point of buying a Scout is to have a higher ground clearance on you Octy, right ? So now the Scout is becoming posh like the Audi A4 Allroad?

I nearly got stuck on a country road recently because the mound in the middle of the track was so high and there was no way of driving on the sides so one of the things I looked at for my new car is ground clearance. There are so many stupid faux-by-fours that just have looks but no ability through low ground clearance, wide rubber band tyres and other such things and it's sad to see Skoda is joining the herd.

Hmm...I don't know what to say. So the standard car is 140mm, mine with the RRP is 155mm (1.5cm higher). The Scout then is like adding a second RRP in terms of ride height :)

However I still think this is not enough and a step backwards from the old Scout. I mean, the whole point of buying a Scout is to have a higher ground clearance on you Octy, right ? So now the Scout is becoming posh like the Audi A4 Allroad?

Yes, but at least A4 allroad , like Scout 2, has 180. The A6 allroad saw a drop in ground clearance from its first generation 208mm.

I can add 10mm through higher profile 225/55 or possibly even 235/55 tyres on original rims, although I let the tyre/pattern dictate the size.

Edited by Jeeves

Yes, but at least A4 allroad , like Scout 2, has 180. The A6 allroad saw a drop in ground clearance from its first generation 208mm.

I can add 10mm through higher profile 225/55 or possibly even 235/55 tyres on original rims, although I let the tyre/pattern dictate the size.

There you go then :) VAG desperately needs that one reason not to by a Scout over, say A4 Allroad :)

How do you compensate the speedo readings? 10mm more clearance is 20mm across the diameter which seems a hell of a lot.

How do you compensate the speedo readings? 10mm more clearance is 20mm across the diameter which seems a hell of a lot.

On my Scout 2, I had a preference for a discontinued pattern which was only available in 245/45 18  and which increased ride height by about 10mm.  It gave a clearance of about 10mm at the shoulders using Skoda Zenith ET50? offset wheels (when turning) but no rubbing over 1000s of miles and all loads.  Hence why I suspect 235/55 would just about fit too if used with the same wheels.

Speedos "cannot" underread, but mine matched the GPS speed exactly (normally overreads).  Obviously less margin for error with Plod and cameras, but I set a reminder on the display which is more commonly used when lower speed-rated (normally winter) tyres are used.

Based on this I have kept my tyres as I'm optimistically confident they'll fit a new Scout.

Edited by Jeeves

I think the price will be from £24,995 OTR as it's priced similar to the (v)RS CR DSG hatch in Switzerland although I've not compared the spec on the vRS vs the Swiss RS.