Monte Carlo wire in dash camera

I did mine slighty different I cut the plug off the lead and hard wired it to 5v regulator off ebay. It's also wired to a 5v dc jack socket in the dash to plug the sat nav into as well.

Dscf4165640_zpsbada95fd.jpg

Edited by bigherb

bigherb

Does that panel come off. It looks to me like it doesn't on mine, all moulded into the dash.??? 

Yes but it is very tight you need a trim removal tool or something thin and wide like a wood chisel to prise it off.

• 8 months later...

Hi BigHerb,

Apologies for digging up an old thread but where have you run the red wire from the 5v stepdown please? Is it to a piggyback fuse by any chance? And which fuse have you used?

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi BigHerb,

Apologies for digging up an old thread but where have you run the red wire from the 5v stepdown please? Is it to a piggyback fuse by any chance? And which fuse have you used?

Many thanks,

Mike

Yes it's to a piggy back fuse but I won't be able to tell you until the morning as it was a while ago I did mine. All I can tell you is it has to be to an ignition live fuse.

I wired mine in using a piggy back fuse as per this pic. Not sure what number the fuse is but it's the 2nd fuse bottom row left side, mini blade.

tempFileForShare_zps6oiuyvch.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by jonro2009

• 1 year later...

I have hardwired a dash cam in my wife's monte carlo but have since been suffering signal problems with the stereo. Any one else suffered this?

The cable comes from the fuse box and runs up the a pillar and across the roof lining.

The interference is hit and miss but very frustrating. I suspect that it is the cable I have used but wondered what others experiences are?

Edited by STU3Y

What cable have you used, did you use the supplied cable or an extension?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 3m cable I had at work. Then it goes into a twin 12v to 5v step down converter.

There's your problem, it's the cable. Does the supplied cable not run the distance? Most do and they rarely have an impact on reception. As above the cable does need a ferrite core. I would try routing the supplied cable and using that.

There's your problem, it's the cable. Does the supplied cable not run the distance? Most do and they rarely have an impact on reception. As above the cable does need a ferrite core. I would try routing the supplied cable and using that.

Nothing to do with the cable. It also happens when the other cable to the USB power adapter is plugged in.

The cable is a well rated cable that we used in all sorts of sensitive environments.

The Fabia seems more sensitive than previous Octavia and superbs. Same setup on all the previous ones!

The cable may well be well rated but it could still be the cause of the interference, or it could be the stepdown converter itself. Where is that located? Try running the oem cable from the 12v socket along side the existing setup and use that, see if it creates the interference. Make sure the converter is off too.