Which oil do I buy?

austenw90

They are also looking at making an offer as a goodwill gesture, unlikely to be financial but not ruled out but most likely something like a FOC service plan or some free accessories. I have said I will think about it and we are going to speak again next week. I have also said I expect and want confirmation that the new engine will come with a new 3 year minimum warranty which they are going to confirm.

Some of us who have had replacement engines have persuaded SUK to grant an extra one year's warranty on the car, thus giving a total of four years from new. This is usually mileage limited and non transferable if you sell the car. I would refuse any offer of free accessories as this completely misses the point of our loss of faith in the Skoda/VAG product and costs them very little. Skoda are extremely unlikely to give you an engine only warranty unless this is rolled out for others as a common policy (it hasn't happened yet as far as I am aware).

I am considering the wider implications of long term ownership of this car and our faith in the Skoda brand. George is hoping for VAG to offer a 100,000 mile warranty on the twin charger engine. I would be happy with that. In other parts of the world VAG have already had to offer five or seven years warranty on DSG gearboxes due to appalling reliability (thankfully for us the European manufactured DSG gearboxes aren't quite as bad).

At the very least I would press for an extra two years cover on the car (preferably transferable). I am otherwise very happy with my car and the support I have had from my dealer.

• Like 2

As vrskeith says,  they buy off individuals.

No set proceedure other than now the Consumption Test, Breather Mod, 

& sometimes Dealers saying 'You need to pay to have a test done'.

Cars can use well over 0.5 litres in 1000 km, and yet they still get the Skoda UK Run around.

They know if it gets to court in the UK and sets a president they are lost.

Hopefully someone will get as far as court with Skoda, VW, SEAT or Audi.

There are members here that have had cars they rejected and they got deals & we never heard from them again.

A few were vocal and told us the deal they got,

others never came back, if they signed a confidentiality agreement i have no idea. maybe thats too far fetched,

But odd they come here for help, get that then never any feed back or thanks given.

• Like 1

There is a thread on this forum entitled "CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced."

I inadvertently submitted a post that did not qualify and was quite justifiably reprimanded by George for doing so - I apologise and would be delighted if an administrator were to delete my post.

Is there any chance that that thread could be pinned, cleaned up and policed ruthlessly.  In this way, anyone interested could see at a glance who has had an engine replaced and details of the relevant background.

It would be perfect if there was just a single post per vehicle. I accept that people may seek clarification in regard to a post but it would be nice if the original poster were to clarify in the original post and the post containing the question were then deleted.

Just a modest proposal - PLEASE?

Chill, its all good,

those posting there have slowed anyway. Only a small number that have had replacement engines posted.

The purpose was a Post/Thread i could link when Emailing Magazines or Journalists to show real people with real cars having problems and their experience with Skoda.

Served its purpose really.  

Skoda & the Volkswagen Audi Group should be ashamed of how they treat Customers.

They revel in their Reputation for Reliability, the Internet is unveiling that as rather fraudulent.

They like their New Technology, they move on, often leaving behind Customer that were left owning the last Lemons they Built and Sold.

• Like 1

Shame we couldn't arrange a Fabia vRS MK2 DAY at Milton Keynes(Skoda UK HQ), as a moving demo .

Guess quite a few owners, with the said problems have now got rid ,so that's a shame.

Bet there are quite a few MK 2 LANGUISHING ON FORECOURTS or out back!

Perhaps Mr Stewart would like to entertain us !!

Perhaps Car mag Editors would like to turn up with their photographers

Ironically if this were a Bank selling PPI, we would be demanding our money back or good compensation!!

Come on BANK of VAG , get your hands in your pockets and own up to miss selling.

Shame we couldn't arrange a Fabia vRS MK2 DAY at Milton Keynes(Skoda UK HQ), as a moving demo .

Guess quite a few owners, with the said problems have now got rid ,so that's a shame.

Bet there are quite a few MK 2 LANGUISHING ON FORECOURTS or out back!

Perhaps Mr Stewart would like to entertain us !!

Perhaps Car mag Editors would like to turn up with their photographers

Or we dump 100 vRS's in the HQ car park one sunday afternoon go and get a carvey and a pint and phone the press ?

• Like 1

Or we dump 100 vRS's in the HQ car park one sunday afternoon go and get a carvey and a pint and phone the press ?

Seat Ibiza in theirs and VW Polo GTI in theirs!

Good day out!

• Like 1

What baffles me and I am sure it has been pointed out many times on this forum is that they continued to fit faulty engines a long time after the issues were established. It just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and seems completely unsustainable.

• Like 1

Just to add to my last comment. I hope that Fiat soon re-invent themselves and bring out some decent models and engines, I'll be straight back there next time I need a car if they do. Despite the bad press they receive the engines are well proven and very reliable, mine were faultless. It's just a few small build issues that I think let them down but no more so than most car manufacturers. Oh and their customer service is appalling!

Edited by austenw90

What baffles me and I am sure it has been pointed out many times on this forum is that they continued to fit faulty engines a long time after the issues were established. It just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and seems completely unsustainable.

Totally agree , and shows no respect for New Customers.

Again VAG not owning up to a problem  , trying to save face and put up a pretence so off putting potential legal battle . 

Prepared to take that cost on chin too save face I guess,they've obviously done the numbers /probability calc. 

Has anyone got any definitive answer to how you are should treat a new engine?

Is it true that you need to take it easy and not "drive it" as such?

I read that some people keep revs below 3k and drive very carefully for the first 3000 or so miles and have issues further on.

Then others just drive them properly straight away and have no issues.

Then with cold starts I have never given much thought to oil temperature in previous cars before, alway assuming that one water temp was up it was ok to drive it hard. Having the temperature display on the Fabia I always keep it up on the screen and drive it carefully until the oil starts to register a warm temperature, 60+ degrees, then it soon shoots up to 80/90.

When I was at the dealer getting mine I watched a salesman tear out of the car park in another one they had on display, completely cold start and booted it up the road. What is wrong with people!

• Like 1

Drive it as normal from day one.

the only difference is some like me try to let the Oil Warm mostly and other do not.

(if somebody is up my jacksy and the oil is only at 50*oC indicated, i do not think, oils not hot yet.)

Running in is about Tyres, Brakes and the car really these days,

With a 'New Replacement engine' on a used Gearbox it should be ready for using as it is built to be used IMO.

**On a Twincharger in the UK and winter, the Coolant might be at near 90*oC in a few minutes.

Below 6*oC Ambient it takes me over 5 miles to get to 50*oC, and it can be 20 miles in 60 limits and still not at 88*oC.

But that is Normal Operating Temperature and the engine is efficient, and giving good MPG.

Or a whole journey in very cold weather including Motorway Driving and the Oil never gets above 92*oC.

Different Oil can make a big difference, well a few degrees difference, to Temperature and MPG.

• Like 1

Thanks George.

What kind of oil temperature can I expect as the weather warms up?

I've only ever had it at temperatures between 5 and 15 degrees so far. I think there has only actually been 1 frost so far this winter, crazy!

The dealer I have been using use Castrol Edge 5w30. I have about 2 Litres of Selenia (Petronas I believe) 5w30 (VW502 spec) in the garage from my Fiat which I could use up if the new engine requires any top up to save chucking it away - or would you recommend sticking to the Castrol?

12*oC  to summer 32*oC ambient days maybe running along might show, above the usual 92-93,  so - 95-96 *oC oil temperatures,  and upwards

but the car is always trying to get the Oil temp to around 90-92*0C.

Intercooler, Radiator/oil cooler fans.

Thrashing it, on Motorway or good roads, it might get up to 105-115, some will have it over that,

Then you might want good oil in if doing regularly.

For Track use, 

those that do track time can tell you.

I had my oil up to 105 deg but had been using sports mode! I also noticed a drops in level after that from top of hatched area to about 3/4 in hatched area! That was in a hit dip about 5 mins after switching it off having allowed oil to go back to about 89 deg! Not much diff this am on a cold dip?!? Is it time to top up or wait a bit longer as don't wanna overfill!

The car came with a litre of Castrol Edge longlife3 Professional! Even though it's in a fixed service?!

The Bottle of Oil comes with many Skoda or VW models, even diesels.  its not a vRS thing. It is to encourage you to buy Castrol.

Your car might be filled with Quantum lll at the service.

Are you sure you are not over filling the engine with oil in the first place.

Above the Cross Hatch when Stone Cold is OK, and in the Area A when done with a Hot Dip,

not above though.

Only 3.6 litres in the Engine when filled right,

and obviously if it is 0.5 of a litre short, it might get a bit hotter quicker,

If 1 litre low, it is over 25% of capacity short, then they are much more likely to burn oil when driven spirited.

• Like 1

I have been told the replacement engine is a reconditioned unit with a build date of December 2013. However they are unable to tell me if it is a CAVE or CTHE engine... I am guessing Dec 2013 is when it was reconditioned?

I am being told that under no circumstances can they extend the warranty beyond the standard 3 years. I have sent the guy away (very politely) with a flea in his ear as when we first spoke he said that they wanted to "restore my confidence in the brand". I have explained that the only way they will do that is by warranting the engine for a further period of time, my main concern being that I will have the car out of warranty for a about 4/5 months until I have settled what I owe (traditional finance so it is mine after the last payment is made, however I am hopeful the clear this early as my repayments are pretty low anyway).

All he tells me is that I have a case logged on there system and that basically as long as I remain loyal and have it serviced by a Skoda dealership then if there are any problems out of warranty they will be aware of the case - but as I explained this offers me absolutely no assurances.

For the sake of the cost of an extended warranty to them unless they have serious concerns about the reliability of this replacement engine (which seems the case from where I am sitting) then it seems mad not to offer this as a means of restoring my confidence in Skoda / VAG.

Edited by austenw90

I am being told that under no circumstances can they extend the warranty beyond the standard 3 years. I have sent the guy away (very politely) with a flea in his ear as when we first spoke he said that they wanted to "restore my confidence in the brand". 

Keep pushing. A number of us have secured an extra one year's warranty on the car (rather than on the engine only) on the basis that we had lost confidence in the brand. The additional warranty is not transferable. I did meet resistance at first from SUK over the cost but persevered until they agreed to a no cost warranty extension. At the very least you could agree to a 50/50 sharing of additional warranty cost, but in this case it would have to be transferable (they will only discuss car warranty not replacement engine warranty).

• Like 1

austenw90,

i would tell them they can get the build details on the Reconditioned unit.

The bar code should hold all the info,

and tell them they need to do the changes with the DVLA, replacement engine,

This is for future Buyers/owners,  

& them saying it is not necessary is a lie.

Each detail needs to be available about the Reconditioned Unit,

, the original Block number and the number of each part fitted, as in, is this a used block and every other component is brand new. If not.

(it will not be a CTHE spec engine if the car is a CAVE, unless it is coming with a new ECU to match.)

If they can not tell you all the details on what Skoda are supplying and they are fitting,

Then they can get in a Brand New Engine like others have had.

You are entitled to the same treatment as other customers have had.

£550 compensation/expenses for your trouble and grief,

to buy a 2 year extended warranty,

that can be from the Dealer that sold you the Lemon or from Skoda UK,

should be a fair compensation for treating you like your head is zipped up the back.

• Like 1

austenw90,

i would tell them they can get the build details on the Reconditioned unit.

The bar code should hold all the info,

and tell them they need to do the changes with the DVLA, replacement engine,

This is for future Buyers/owners,  

& them saying it is not necessary is a lie.

Each detail needs to be available about the Reconditioned Unit,

, the original Block number and the number of each part fitted, as in, is this a used block and every other component is brand new. If not.

(it will not be a CTHE spec engine if the car is a CAVE, unless it is coming with a new ECU to match.)

If they can not tell you all the details on what Skoda are supplying and they are fitting,

Then they can get in a Brand New Engine like others have had.

You are entitled to the same treatment as other customers have had.

£550 compensation/expenses for your trouble and grief,

to buy a 2 year extended warranty,

that can be from the Dealer that sold you the Lemon or from Skoda UK,

should be a fair compensation for treating you like your head is zipped up the back.

Totally agree!!

Thanks George. Although I don't expect any action to be taken from it I've sent a second email to Alasdair Stewart. I wouldn't surprised if I am getting on his nerves by contacting him a second time but if I don't try I will never know... I wrote and sent it before I read your reply so can see I have missed a few points now... Email reads...

Dear Mr Stewart

I would like to thank you for attending to my previous email, this is greatly appreciated however I still don't think the issue is fully resolved and hope that you are able to assist me once more.

I am being told that the replacement engine is a reconditioned unit but no one is able to tell me if this is a CAVE engine or CTHE. All I am told by the dealer is that they are sure (but not certain) that the engine is tested and acceptable. If this is the case then I would appreciate some confirmation from Skoda UK that every part of this engine is new otherwise I don't understand why the engine shouldn't be a brand new unit straight from the factory as other owners have been given for their Fabia vRS's.

I am only speculating but assume that it is in Skoda's best interests to replace the engine with one which is 100% fit for purpose to avoid any further issues and warranty costs.

As before, unfortunately I have no technically trained point of contact to offer their advice and assurances.

Then comes the issue of warranty for the replaced engine. If your representative, Tom Chadwick is serious when he says that Skoda UK want to "restore my confidence in the brand" then surely they are able to warrant the engine or car for at least one more year in addition to the standard three years (as I know they have done for other customers free of charge). Otherwise my confidence won't be restored and unfortunately I will not look to purchase another Skoda or VAG vehicle when the times comes to replace my Fabia.

Tom has kindly offered a goodwill gesture of an additional extra fitted to my car, although only meeting 50% of my expectation. This I believe is related to good will and is a separate matter "restoring my faith in the brand" which would easily and simply be resolved by extending the warranty on either the car or new engine for a minimum of one year further to the expiry of the cars current warranty.

Again, apologies for contacting you on such a negative matter however I do hope you or a member of your team can assist me once and for all and resolve this matter to a suitable standard.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Kind regards

Edited by austenw90
  • Like 2