Hi guys,

The wife was driving my Fabia the other day and she said it was very slow to accelerate and the EML came on. I have since been driving it and the problem seemed to have gone (athough the EML did stay on constantly for a couple of days).

Yesterday though I felt what she had experienced- when sat at traffic lights the engine suddenly started to idle VERY lumpily- I was sat jigging up and down with the vibration. Turning the radio down showed that the engine sounded like a sack of spanners- I revved up to about 1500RPM and it sounded lumpy then as well, before returning to juddery idle.

When I went to drive off it was slow to respond to gas pedal pressure, as a result I stalled. When restarted idle was still lumpy and then when accelerating the EML came on every time I pressed the gas and flashed at me, but went off when the gas pedal was released. After a couple of mins I stopped at more lights, the EML went off and the engine idled fine!

I am getting the codes read tomorrow but just wondered what people's immediate thoughts were and if anyone has had similar experience? Does it sound like a misfire (I have never experienced a misfiring engine before!) from my description? And if it is a misfire, what could be causing this? Not the best time of year for shelling out on repair costs! ;)

Oil was changed around 2 months ago, sparks were done around 15-18 months ago when previous owner had a garage service it.

Thanks!

PK

+1 on the ignition coils, happened on my old car this time last year

The fault code  for EML highlighted the ignition coil pack (words to that effect)

IF it is this, about £20 after a brief look online, plus fitting obviously...

if it says missfire on a certain cyl rather than random mulitple missfire, swap the coilpack's around and see if the missfire follows the coilpack first, if it doesn't then it's most likely valve guides mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry for delayed reply. The engine is a 1.2HTP, as I believe I included in the title of the thread- apologies if this does not display for some reason. I ran it on a scanner which was a little difficult to follow but seemed to throw up the code of a misfire on cylinder 3. Will change the spark plugs as they haven't been done for a while and will also see about changing the coil packs around to see if the misfire follows it, as you say.

It seems to occur when cold, might I add: this is a pattern I have only just come to notice!

Many thanks, PK. 

UPDATE: It was a coil pack, misfire got so bad I had to get the RAC man out, coil pack replaced and car is back to normal! Thanks to all for help.

PK