No power on left doors

dhuerva

Hello all,

I just wanted to find out if anyone has experienced anything similar or if you have an idea of what the cause could be:

Since a few days ago we have lost almost all power from our left doors (driver's side on our LHD Yeti). Aside from the rear left passenger's window lift, which works fine, the rest of the door devices (locks, mirror adjustment, lights on the door frame, driver's window lift buttons, etc..) have stopped working. Neither of the left doors are shown in the Maxidot when you open them, the central locking button next to the hand brake has stopped working and holding the key unlock button to bring all the windows down is not doing anything either. One thing that does work is the little blinking red led on the driver's door that should only switch on when you lock the car and that is now always on.

The first thing I checked was the fuse reference sheet in the owner's manual. There's a fuse for the front window lifts and one for the back, and these are not related to locking, so it doesn't sound like a fuse problem.

I disassembled the front door's panel and checked for any dampness or corrosion in the wiring (I read in the forums it is a known fault in some models like the Fabia). But all seemed dry and in perfect condition. I checked the voltage of the thickest pair of wire's coming from the door hinge and which feeds the ECU: it was 12V.

Then I tried to replace the ECU on the driver's door for a new one... Only for a few minutes, that made the front window work, although not the door lock. But then, all of a sudden, it stopped to work again while the window was in the lower position. Strangely, with the new ECU the rear left passenger's window lift didn't work either. We had to unplug the battery a couple of times to get the driver's window up again, although then it stopped working again.

This erratic behaviour makes me think there's some sort of short circuit somewhere, perhaps related to dampness: we've had a lot of fog lately and we've had to keep the Yeti it in the street while I am doing some restoration works to our old 88 RR.

I guess it could be quite a few things. But does anyone have any clue of what the source of the problem could be?

Thank you.

Edited by dhuerva

Well well what do we have here...

IMG_2645.JPG

A couple of broken wires! Orange/Brown and Orange/Black are split... Hmm I wish the wiring had been an inch longer.

IMG_2638.JPG

The first job has been to find some wire of a similar gauge to connect the split ends back together. A bit of wire of an old PC power supply did the trick!

After pealing the ends and tangling them together I've strengthened the bond with a soldering iron and some tin.

IMG_2641.JPG

Ed China has Paul, I have my essential helpers... Equally quiet but with a bit more fur

IMG_2643.JPG

After the welding, I've isolated the connections with some tape.

IMG_2652.JPG

And more tape around the wire loom to seal it again.

IMG_2653.JPG

Rubber hinge back on.

IMG_2655.JPG

And door panel back in place.

IMG_2656.JPG

A few left overs... :think:

IMG_2657.JPG

And another happy Yeti back on the road!!! Bless these forums and its community for saving me a bunch of €€€€. I will spend them on Christmas gifts instead :party:

IMG_2661.JPG

Edited by dhuerva
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Skoda autoelectrician's "explanation";

When plugging in the loom from the door into the socket in the A pillar, some operatives have been twisting the wires which causes them to be too tight and ultimately break because they cant bend properly inside the flexible boot.

Repair is undertaken under warranty (If the vehicle is still under warranty) by fitting a new door loom.

I had my n/s front passenger door loom replaced even though my Yeti was 3 months out of warranty under a "sympathy" claim to Skoda who paid 70% of the cost.

• 11 months later...

Hi all, I was having the same issue and today I managed to repair it by following the instructions above (thanks). However; I'm now facing a new issue...an Airbag Fault warning light came up on the dashboard...Could I have damaged another wire whilst putting the rest back together?  The small Airbag indicator at the base of the pillar has gone red but I'm not sure if the wires in question are also responsible for the airbag...Any  advise will be highly appreciated.

I thought I'd also let you know that I found this on eBay Germany...looks like a great way to sort out the issue with braking wires 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361027993239?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 1 month later...

Anybody knows the OEM part number for the driver' side door loom please? 

Unfortunately I'm having the same issue...I've actually managed to partially repair it but I've now got an airbag warning light on the dashboard (another wire broke?) so I'm thinking of replacing the loom all together...

I have found several part numbers but I'm not sure which one I should be getting

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/sko-5l0971121de/

Any help will be highly appreciated

• 7 months later...

Anybody knows the OEM part number for the driver' side door loom please? 

Unfortunately I'm having the same issue...I've actually managed to partially repair it but I've now got an airbag warning light on the dashboard (another wire broke?) so I'm thinking of replacing the loom all together...

I have found several part numbers but I'm not sure which one I should be getting

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/sko-5l0971121de/

Any help will be highly appreciated

I've got a similar problem in that my O/S/F (driver's) door wiring harness now needs to be replaced. 

It seems the part no is 5L0971120GN. Unfortunately there is no UK stock for this part and it is on backorder from the factory in CZ. 

Ho hum!

• 8 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have the same wires broken in my Yeti. I see the plug on the car side, is there a plug on the other side, inside the door card? or is it easier to solder the wires together? Thanks in advance for your answers, Karl. 

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem.. Central locking, windows, outside rearview mirror including indicator light failed in front and rear doors on the RH side of my Yeti (10/2009).. Cause are 6 broken wires which goes to front doors as seen on pics in this thread... New (they say improved) wiring loom is ordered and will be changed tomorrow (both L and R).. Price is 120€/loom.. So 240€ for both sides + labour... 

But still... I have some thoughts... If central locking and windows fail (due to torn cables) when the car is locked there's no way you can open those doors! It's not a pleasant thought to get locked in the car and not being able to get out... 

Edited by KoJoTe

• 1 year later...

Hi,first of all thanks for the pictures,i understand that there is no need to remove the door card?,i have the same problems,no power windows ,no central locking etc....

do you need to cut the rubber boot or not?

I am writing you from Chile,there are no many Yetis here so this forum is my only hope :)