sat nav radios

I see that your car is listed as a 1.2S - I assume that that means that you don't have the maxi-dot display in the dash, as far as I'm aware the VW nav units make use of this display in conjunction with that of the unit, in which case you'd probably be better off with an after market unit if you want sat nav.

Amundsen and Columbus should fit straight in although you'd have to get it coded to tthe car via VCDS and fit a sat nav arial.

Monte Techs are fitted with Amundsen as standard, it's got great sound quality and does as much as any other sat nav although it can't be tweaked like a TomTom or Garmin.

If you have Maxidot then it shows the direction arrows and distance etc as well.

What is the maxi dot display? Installing a gps aerial shouldn't be too much bother i assume...?

Gps Antenna is probably as much bother as you want to make it - ie routing the cable.  Maxi dot is the centre display between the two dials - afaik shows a little more info than the standard - but others here prob be able to point out much more differences.  Swapping dash's over doesn't look an easy quick job.  Personally I'd get an after market unit myself - although having Sat Nav info on the dash is certainly a treat.

o2flmaxidot.jpg

Although installing a VW, Seat or Skoda navigation system would be quite quick and simple to do, you won't be able to make the most of it. An after market system would be much more self contained with direction instructions on the unit's own display.

Columbus system is great. Can be had for £380 and you don't need maxidot. It's plug and play and just needs Vcds to enable the can gateway to see the nav. Gps aerial will just stick behind the upper glovebox

Took me about 10min to fit to the other half fabia

As it's oem it looks like it's always been there. Traffic avoidance uses the tmc system like most other nav unit.

Kenwood make a VW sat nav unit that doesnt required the MFD

so do Skoda ;)

The Kenwood one is also about £1000 new I believe so not a cheap option, my Tech has the Amundsen and I wouldn't have paid £500 as an option for it as I have a TomTom but as a standard feature it does the job fine plus it means I get the Audi style shark fin arial and the sound quality is fab IMO.

It looks better too with the touchscreen and chrome buttons than the normal head units in other models.

No. The amundsen and columbus all use the same sound processor and have the same amount of power output. It will sound exactly the same.

I believe if you want better sound, better speakers are the first place to look, but of course, an aftermarket headunit would most likely produce more power output and quality.

I suppose that does make sense. I got my Fabia used and it has pretty much no optional extras and I've been thinking of things I could retrofit to make it a little nicer but staying OEM. I think looking at a MFSW is my next step

The Amundsen and Columbus may have the same processor as each other but it's not the same as the Swing as they're made by a different supplier I'm led to believe.

The Monte I test drove didn't have Satnav and didn't sound as good as the Amundsen in my Tech but that's might just be me.

The columbus is leagues ahead of the swing in terms of sound quality.

Any upgraded head unit will sound better than a car manufacturer's standard head unit, that's why it's called an upgrade, even if it's another from the range or accessory catalogue.

Granted, you can do more with a TomTom or Garmin, like change voices, add speed camera locations etc but Satnav wise, my Amundsen still gets me to where I want to go in the same time as my TomTom would but the sound quality is way above what I sampled it the standard Monte.

Someone on here, I think it was Zouche, added an amp and upgraded his door speakers but kept his standard head unit with improved results if it's just better sound you want.

Any upgraded head unit will sound better than a car manufacturer's standard head unit, that's why it's called an upgrade, even if it's another from the range or accessory catalogue.

Granted, you can do more with a TomTom or Garmin, like change voices, add speed camera locations etc but Satnav wise, my Amundsen still gets me to where I want to go in the same time as my TomTom would but the sound quality is way above what I sampled it the standard Monte.

Someone on here, I think it was Zouche, added an amp and upgraded his door speakers but kept his standard head unit with improved results if it's just better sound you want.

Does the standard Monte have the full 8 speaker set up?  Vaguely recall looking at specs at the base cars only have 4 speakers (iirc).  However without looking that could be all 4 in front - separate drivers and tweaters (or however vag have them set up) - as opposed to 4 full range speakers (2 front / 2 back).

I'm a bit of an audio nerd and I for a standard set up the amundsen in the tech sounds good.  Certainly better than my business set up in the Bmw.

If I was stuck with the swing and had to have sat nav built in I'd personally look for an aftermarket unit (the columbus vag unit would be fine but I can't speak for audio quality) and upgrade the speakers too - you don't have to go mad ££ wise but oem speakers as fitted are carp compared even to modestly priced aftermarket ones.  

I will be the first to admit that I am no audio connoisseur but I am VERY happy with the sound from my Amundsen.  Definitely several orders of magnitude better than the standard unit I had in my 24hr test drive Roomster and probably marginally better than the Bolero in my last Octy.

For the record, it should be noted that it spends around 5% of its time on Radio 4, 90% of its time on Opera, 5% switched off/other (when SWMBO is in the car).

In my experience, there would be a problem with having an Amundsen (or Columbus?) unit in a Fabia/Roomster without maxidot.  All the sat-nav information is displayed on the screen but it is mounted so low down that you are spending far too much time with your eyes off the road.  The maxidot does make the whole set-up more user friendly.

My Tech has 8 speakers and I think the standard Monte has too.

I know this will sound better than a 4 speaker set up anyway but the Amundsen has much better sound quality than what I've been used to with standard fit audio in other cars I've had.

I agree with eccleshill that the Maxidot is a great feature for showing the satnav info and that's what I tend to look at more rather than the head unit screen.